Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What do you put under braid on the spool to fill it up? Thanks Kenny

Participant

Use either black tape or some monofiliment line of 10 to 15 lb test

Participant

I keep spools of mono that I don’t use any more as fill ( I’ve gone to all braid with flouro leaders). Braid is expensive so I only put about 80 yds. on a reel
    The rest is backing. Also remember that when the line is looking worn; reverse it! The line underneath is still like new.

Participant

I want to add.
    I bought a line counter that locks onto the rod. ( mine is a Berkley and didn’t cost much) I keep a note book of how much line each reel holds and of what dia./ test. That way after the first time I know how much backing to put on before loading the braid. With small dia. braid ( such as PP 2/10) I have to wrap the line a half turn around the rod to make contact in the counter. I also have kept a couple of empty line spools; put a bolt thru them so I can mount it on a cordless drill to pull line of reels when stripping, or If I don’t have enough backing to take the braid off to put more backing on. 😉

Participant

I put old mono on the reel and then connect the braid. Works well and saves money.

Participant

I have used both Dacron and black electricians tape. Either works fine for me. I have braid that is 20 yrs old I still have on. I try to have 100yds of braid and than and fluorocarbon. I run 20# most of the time which is still smaller than the 6-8# mono I put on. But when I snag it is a LOT easier to just break off 30′ of line! That is my normal leader length. I know it should be 18-30 inches. This way I can retie a LOT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.