Home Forums Fishing Bowfishing Bowfishing Tournaments?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I saw the post about the bowfishing tournaments last year and was wondering if the dates are out for this years. Anybody know the dates? I’m thinking about trying one this year if I get my boat set up.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

We (Bowfishing Association of IA) have not set any dates as of yet.
    We are having a meeting the 18th of this month to try to hammer out locations and dates.
    One of us will post as soon as we get some decisions made.
    I encourage you to come to one and enjoy the group and the friendly competition, its a great way to spend the day!

Thank you,

Pat

Participant

Thanks for the info. I’m really looking forward to trying out a tourny.

Participant

hey bowfisher i shot in some of the tournaments two years ago and they were great! cant make them any more since i joined the air force and am currently stations in va. i would just suggest to get one up in the north cental part of the state if you could? like north and south twin lakes have either lake fairly early in the year so you can hopefully catch the spawn! there are a lot of fish there and they all are ten pounds up to fifty! if you guys do that shoot i may have to make a trip back! just an idea!

Participant

A Saylorville one would be great for me. I’m just a couple miles from the lake.

Participant

one in northwest iowa like on okoboji i think would be a good place to have one

Participant

We would love to have tournys up that direction. The only problem we have is that the majority of our club is in SE Iowa. We would have to have someone from down here drive up there to put the tourny on and on top of that we dont know what we could expect for a turn out. I would really like to see something like this happen in the future.

I have some new tournament dates for this year that I will be posting sometime today.

Participant

Lake McBride is just loaded with carp(absolutely sickening how many with noone interested in them); I’d love it if a tourney came here. Wonder if it’s too much trouble for the group to come up 218 to the Coralville area. If you guys would be interested I could certainly help out with advertising locally or getting the dnr involved. Let me know.

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

We had a meeting yesterday, went over alot of different things.

Tournament locations this year will be:

Odessa
    Des Moines River (Oskaloosa) 2 times
    Red Rock – State Championship
    Coralville
    Rathbun

One of us will post the dates and times, I dont have them in fromt of me.

We discussed the issue of not having any tournaments up in the northern parts of the state and realize there is alot of interest there. We have tried to host tournaments on Spirit lake before only to have very poor turn out, three boats showed up. The waters we shoot currently we know there will be fish and we pretty much always have great turn outs. My suggestion if you would like to see a tournament up that way would be to attend a tournament this year, meet up with one of us and we can talk you through the whole tournament proceedure. I have hosted dozens of them over the years and would be more than willing to help get something started in the top quadrant of the state.

Just let me know!

Thanks!

Pat

Participant

I’d highly encourage anyone interested in killing carp to try a tournament. Great way to kill carp and get them disposed of properly. 😉

Participant

we used to have an annual carp tourney on the cedar river but havent the past couple years i think tourneys are a great idea whether bowfishing or just fishing in general there are many kids who dont shoot bows but can catch carp on rod and reel how does on get an entry to the tourneys or do you just show up the day of

bowfisherbowfisher
    Participant

hammer,

Yep just show up the day of.
    Normal cost is $25 per person.

Thanks,
    Pat

Participant

30 if you are a non member of the bowfishing association of Iowa. The yearly membership costs 25 dollars and that will get you a discount at all of our tournys. You will also get a member packet with more info on the club as well as a Fish ID card, member card, catalogs from different bowfishing manufacturers, a list of current officers as well as contact info. We will also be putting a schedule of our tournaments and a list of our current state records. I highly suggest anyone that loves this sport and wants it to continue to grow and prosper in the state of Iowa to at least give joining the club some thought. Thanks. Remember you can always ask questions on here and one of us will give ya an answer. :mrgreen: Ryan

Participant

Any idea which of those will be night tourneys yet? I dont really like running around on the biggest lakes in iowa, and having pleasure boaters fly by at 80mph and cause my boat to go under….not a fun time…lol. On a serious note ryan, or pat, i need one of your addresses, so i can send you a check, but not get anything in the mail….lol. Hope to beat, i mean, see you guys at a tourney or two this year.

Coot

nater3nater3
    Participant

My brother and I just got into the sport last year mid summer and missed the spawn. When do carp typically spawn? We lucked out and found a spillway that has a lot of smaller buffalo to shoot to keep us happy, but the most fun we had was when we pulled my brother’s little 14 foot boat out into a flooded cornfield near the Des Moines river and shot land locked carp hanging out around the trees. We would love to do more bowfishing from a boat, but we don’t have the funds to do the whole generator and lights at night thing. Do you guys do much shooting during the day from boats? We are able to shoot below the spillways during the day, but that was starting to get boring by the end of the summer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.