Home Forums Hunting Archery Bow fishing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just a heads up to all you bow fishing enthusiasts….yesterday while fishing Lake MacBride the carp are rolling big time along the shoreline. I was wishing for my bow and fishing arrow. I believe the carp spawn is peaking.

Participant

Quote by: ratlmin

Just a heads up to all you bow fishing enthusiasts….yesterday while fishing Lake MacBride the carp are rolling big time along the shoreline. I was wishing for my bow and fishing arrow. I believe the carp spawn is peaking.

I believe you are right, down at Odessa was the same thing. From shore to about 4 feet out was just a froth of fins and white water. Got a couple of them and the fins and gill plates were bloody and scarred up from hitting eachother, tree roots, rocks, etc. They were going absolutely nuts and there were some BIG boys out there…

Participant

I am really interested in picking up bowfishing myself. I finally got a decent set-up, now I just need to be at a good spot at the right time. Does anyone know if the Saylorville and Big Creek spillways would have similar behavior going on? Any specific types of locations along the shore to look for such as a rocky shoreline, sand, mud, weedy?

I will probably just go out and try to figure it out myself. Seems that’s the advice usually given. Hard to prioritize one’s time with morel mushroom hunting, fishing, and turkey hunting all going on!

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I am really interested in picking up bowfishing myself. I finally got a decent set-up, now I just need to be at a good spot at the right time. Does anyone know if the Saylorville and Big Creek spillways would have similar behavior going on? Any specific types of locations along the shore to look for such as a rocky shoreline, sand, mud, weedy?

I will probably just go out and try to figure it out myself. Seems that’s the advice usually given. Hard to prioritize one’s time with morel mushroom hunting, fishing, and turkey hunting all going on!

When I have seen this at odessa and at macbride in the past, the locations usually are similar. Think shallow. Sometimes they are writhing around with their dorsal fins and half their backs out of the water. Even with a wicked glare and chop on the water, if the carp/buffalo are spawning you will still be able to see fish at a distance (read: you will shoot a lot and have a blast 😉 )

Usually in addition to being real shallow there is usually a lot of reed like veg, and when I’ve seen them do this at odessa and coralville, they like a good flooded point, up in the trees and grasses and shrubbery that are coming up out of the water. In MacBride they sometimes go to the shallow, protected bays full of veg, formed by the articial islands and jetty points. I don’t know anything about Saylorville or Big Creek but if there is similar habitat I would have to think you would have similar behavior. We’re clustered around I-80 or so, similar latitude.

Oh also, I just notice you mentioned spillways. couldn’t tell you as much about that. We happened upon them down from the Coralville tube last year, and they held tight to the rocks in the first couple of slack pools fresh out of the tube. Not as fun as chasing them in a lake, after a couple shots (didn’t matter if we hit or missed) they would disperse. The lakes they are so highly visible (oh, and LOUD too), you can chase them all the time if you spook a few.

Participant

Quote by: speng5

Quote by: TrapCyclone

When I have seen this at odessa and at macbride in the past, the locations usually are similar. Think shallow. Sometimes they are writhing around with their dorsal fins and half their backs out of the water. Even with a wicked glare and chop on the water, if the carp/buffalo are spawning you will still be able to see fish at a distance (read: you will shoot a lot and have a blast 😉 )

Usually in addition to being real shallow there is usually a lot of reed like veg, and when I’ve seen them do this at odessa and coralville, they like a good flooded point, up in the trees and grasses and shrubbery that are coming up out of the water. In MacBride they sometimes go to the shallow, protected bays full of veg, formed by the articial islands and jetty points. I don’t know anything about Saylorville or Big Creek but if there is similar habitat I would have to think you would have similar behavior. We’re clustered around I-80 or so, similar latitude.

Oh also, I just notice you mentioned spillways. couldn’t tell you as much about that. We happened upon them down from the Coralville tube last year, and they held tight to the rocks in the first couple of slack pools fresh out of the tube. Not as fun as chasing them in a lake, after a couple shots (didn’t matter if we hit or missed) they would disperse. The lakes they are so highly visible (oh, and LOUD too), you can chase them all the time if you spook a few.

Thanks for the tips! I know of a few spots similar to what you described and will likely check them out to see if there is anything lurking near the shoreline. I don’t usually go to the spillways as they tend to get pretty crowded, but it can be decent if you go during the middle of the week and when the weather isn’t quite as favorable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.