Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Bone in Chicken breast?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gonna try this on a tabletop weber charcoal grill. I am a little concerned about getting enough coals in there with a drip pan.
    The breast is gonna have to go in the middle so the lid will close. I’m thinking I only have room for maybe 15-18 coals,8 or nine
    off to each side.Do you think this is hot enough and will burn long enough to get it cooked through?

Participant

That should be enough in that small of a grill to get a chicken breast cooked through. How long do you plan to cook it? Or are you smoking it? If the temp isn’t getting up high enough, remove the drip pan and add some more coals.

Participant

I did a whole 4# chicken in a decent sized charcoal grill the other night. I cut thru the back lengthwise, soaked in hvy salt water for 2 hrs and grilled it in 2hrs at 300 degrees. I laid the chicken off to the one side from the coals and rotated it to get and even cook on it. I tend not to use a drip pan. Put a couple pieces of smoking wood on to get a better smoke flavor and it turned out great!!! Point is, not sure if you need to use a drip pan all the time. If you can put the meat off to one side without any coals under it you might not need a drip pan. You can put more briquettes in grill if you put them ALL on one side, but you need to rotate and flip bird on a regular basis (I might of done it every 15 min). I put the bird between the briquettes and the smoke exhaust to get a better flow of the heat & smoke over the bird. And I ALWAYS use an instant meat thermometer. When the chicken hit 160 degrees it came off. Put it in a pan and cover with old towel and let sit for a while ( I like to hold some of the heat in – will sometimes use a roaster pan + towel which keeps the towel clean). This method seems to work for me. Might be able to modify it to work for you. If you can cut a steel coffee can (or something similar with out any bottom) down to the right height you can stack the briquettes higher for a longer burn time and do a better job keeping them out from underneath your bird. Can do the same thing with thick pork chops or whole pork loin (I also give it a salt bath before cooking if I have the time).

Participant

ya not smokn it. The only place I can put it is right in the middle of the grate so the lid will fit. I should be able to put coals on each side of it.
    I will check it with a mometer for 160. I was thinkn 45 min if the coals will last that long.

Participant

Quote by: orngruffee

ya not smokn it. The only place I can put it is right in the middle of the grate so the lid will fit. I should be able to put coals on each side of it.
    I will check it with a mometer for 160. I was thinkn 45 min if the coals will last that long.

They should, I would just have the vents cracked.

Participant

Turned out good. Had it on for about an hour and finished it off on the gas grill.I think I had the air turned off too much. The coals got hotter after I took it off. I think it was at 140 when I took it off the charcoal and it took about 15 min on the gas grill to get it to 160. I prolly would have been alright, but I got hungry. :mrgreen:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.