Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I see that the counties allowing Bobcat hunting have expanded this year……quite a bit actually.  I live in Johnson County, which is now one of the counties where one can hunt Bobcat.  They also increased the limit from 1 per season to 2 per season in the bottom tier Iowa counties, which have had seasons for several years now.  But the new expanded counties have a limit of 1 per year.  Nice that it is expanding, but I wonder why NE Iowa apparently does not have a population to have a season.

I’ve never seen any Bobcats around here; not only Johnson County, but also surrounding counties.  I did see, a year ago, trailcam pics of allegedly a Bobcat in the Amana area, and also have a friend that spotted one in Iowa County.   There apparently is an adequate population that the DNR is aware of, I assume.  Does anybody here have any experiences in seeing, getting pics, or hearing of someone reliable that has see Bobbies in the area?

Tomorrow starts another season!  Good luck!

Participant

I live in NE Iowa and have never seen a bobcat around here. Have heard of a few sightings but never laid eyes on one.

Participant

Here in Keokuk County  throughout the years I personally went from never seeing a bobcat until about 3 years ago to seeing a lot of sign and also having them come to the call more often. I believe in our county were allowed 3 this year so at least we can be more selective when calling. You can rest assured they are moving North as a lot of my calling is done in the north part of the county. Of course this is just my observation and opinion

Participant

I got a series of trailcam pics of a bobcat in Cedar County, near the Cedar River, back in 2013.  I haven’t gotten any since, run about the same number of cameras. A friend in Johnson County, near the Coralville Res, says he’s seen one lately.  I bow hunted near him 3 times this year, didn’t see any.

Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

jrnbronc, I’m curious about the Reservoir area, as I am pretty close to Mehaffey Bridge.  Any chance you could give me an idea of where he is around the Res.?  PM me if you’d prefer not posting.

I’ve been thinking about trying the caller around here.  I’ve shot a couple of Bobcats the last 3 years, but they were in southern Iowa.  Be cool to see some and possibly bag one close to home.  I inquired because it seems the terrain around here should be very good for Bobcats.  But no doubt, they are very sneaky; would be interesting to know how many have seen me that I never saw.  Their coats blend right in and make it difficult to see them……..especially since they typically sit so still and watch patiently before moving in.

Participant

Mengo,

Turkey Creek Nature Preserve area.

Participant

There was a Bobcat killed on Hwy 1 just south of the Cedar River just b4 the crest of the hill 2 years ago. I do have a picture

Participant

Thanks….much appreciated.  I’m a few miles from there, but definitely within reach.  Cool!

I hadn’t heard about the one on Hgwy 1; even further north.

Might have to try the caller.

Cheers

Participant

They are cool cats

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Hyw 1 south of Cedar river east a couple miles. Friend seen 2 crossing road.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.