Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Boat Ramp Follies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So the wife and I decided to take the kayak out for fathers day on Sunday. I couldnt help but notice the complete lack of common sense and general disregard for general boat ramp etiquette going on around Des Moines.

First I saw a car parked on the ramp, just a car, people fishing nearby, I guess they need all the help they can get unloading their gear and carrying it 20 feet to shore fish.

Next up, a guy backs right into the dock with his 4 year old kid sitting in the boat. Pulls up out of the water and the boat is stuck on one of his fenders about ready to tip over. Another samartian has to yell to the guy to stop and tells the kid to sit down.

After that the infamous “power loader” who thinks he knows what he is doing but takes the approach way too hot, slamming into his winch, breaking a couple screws off, and transferring all that momentum right into the back of his truck which moves up a foot with the parking break on.

Not to be outdone, the family of 5, who despite miles of shore decides to setup poles, minnow buckets, stringers, etc, right on the boat ramp dock despite knowing it will be heavy boat traffic all day long. Note to self, dont be that guy who fishes on the boat ramp and then is offended when boats are being launched and retrieved all day long.

And last but not least, Kevin VanDam himself shows up, you know, the guy with more money in his boat and truck than his home, the one with sponsors and fishing tackle maker logos all over his boat. They want it to be know they are so much better bass fisherman than you although they show up at a gravel pit which has more carp and catfish than largemouth.

All this comedy, and thats only at 1 ramp in town for about 3 hours one holiday afternoon. I can’t imagine what else goes on out there but I would love to hear some other stories about clowns at the ramps.

Participant

What bugs me more than that is the people that purposely just leave trash. I have literally watched two people fishing at yellow banks park sitting on the river sandbar get up and leave and leave 3-4 pop cans, food wrappers, and empty bait container just feet from the river and they go to their junk car and drive away. I went down and picked up their trash and put it in the trash container that they walked right past to get to their junker of a car.

I can’t believe how many worm containers or empty lure packages I see just laying around. Empty pop/beer cans, Gatorade containers, food wrappers etc.

Participant

Not exactly the boat ramp but​ this past memorial day weekend I was camping with my family. And their were some people camping on the other side of the river. They had 3 boats tied off under the bridge, well it rained pretty good the one night and the next morning they learned that the bridge has drains to get the water off it. One of the boats caught enough water in the front of it to get the whole motor out of the river. Kind of humorous

Participant

We went out Saturday, June 10. It got VERY windy with waves. When we decided to load, the wind was blowing across the ramp, everyone was having problems trying to wind drift onto their trailers. I waded in to help pull a pontoon’s rear end around so they could get it loaded and free the multi-lane ramp for others. Not like people needed to be trying to load boats 4 wide. I was thankful I have such a little fishing boat, as I was able to push it sideways easily as the rig was driven up the ramp. We got up top and picked the boat up to center in on the trailer. 😀

Putting in, there were two vehicles trying to back down the long, steep ramp, stopping, pulling ahead, restarting. Both changed drivers without much improvement.

Somebody hit our trailer and took out a turn signal while we were out on the lake, no note left. 😡

Participant

I used to work for a county conservation board as summer help. I have seen it all when it comes to the boat ramp, even had several people ask me to back their boats into the water, which is a whole other topic. The event I remember most was a grandpa (at least I assumed) screaming at his young grandson to get under it GD it. You can figure out what gd it means. For like 20 minutes he kept yelling this. I still don’t know what kind of advise that meant. You could have heard him across the lake! Kid probably wasn’t even 16 and to this day I tell people to get under it. I’m don’t remember but I’m guessing it was never gotten under!

Participant

I used to work for a county conservation board as summer help. I have seen it all when it comes to the boat ramp, even had several people ask me to back their boats into the water, which is a whole other topic. The event I remember most was a grandpa (at least I assumed) screaming at his young grandson to get under it GD it. You can figure out what gd it means. For like 20 minutes he kept yelling this. I still don’t know what kind of advise that meant. You could have heard him across the lake! Kid probably wasn’t even 16 and to this day I tell people to get under it. I’m don’t remember but I’m guessing it was never gotten under!

Participant

I’ve fished by boat ramps just to watch the FUN ! Windy days can be a bear for every one, but when it is quiet, no current, and no body around can be hilarious. Best I saw was a guy thinking he didn’t need to set the emergency brake. Not good. Have to admit he was fast thought! Got in and drove it out before it was completely under.

Participant

Quote by: sep0667

What bugs me more than that is the people that purposely just leave trash. I have literally watched two people fishing at yellow banks park sitting on the river sandbar get up and leave and leave 3-4 pop cans, food wrappers, and empty bait container just feet from the river and they go to their junk car and drive away. I went down and picked up their trash and put it in the trash container that they walked right past to get to their junker of a car.

I can’t believe how many worm containers or empty lure packages I see just laying around. Empty pop/beer cans, Gatorade containers, food wrappers etc.

You ever fish at Lake Petocka? On two different occasions I’ve seen the same group of people leave beer cans, pizza boxes, literally 20 feet away from that trash can on the south side as they walk back to their BMW’s. The last time I saw them they left a big container of worms there. They walked right by me and asked if I wanted them. I declined and as was expecting them to take them home realized they just left them laying out on the bank.

I wont even get into the west side of the Saylorville spillway and how trashy that place is. That wooded area is a toxic waste dump in the summer, easier to litter when nobody can see you hiding out in the trees.

Participant

Quote by: jereseib

Quote by: sep0667

You ever fish at Lake Petocka? On two different occasions I’ve seen the same group of people leave beer cans, pizza boxes, literally 20 feet away from that trash can on the south side as they walk back to their BMW’s. The last time I saw them they left a big container of worms there. They walked right by me and asked if I wanted them. I declined and as was expecting them to take them home realized they just left them laying out on the bank.

I wont even get into the west side of the Saylorville spillway and how trashy that place is. That wooded area is a toxic waste dump in the summer, easier to litter when nobody can see you hiding out in the trees.

It seems anywhere close to DSM area is half regarded as a public dump. A lot of DSM’s trash neighborhoods come out and they probably don’t see it any different than where they live and don’t even realize how much a bum they look like leaving their trash all over. The worst I have seen is the boat ramp area for the DSM river off of se 14th st. Its disgusting how much trash people just leave there, seeing a lot of the people down there though I am not surprised.

Participant

Not that I have not seen some inconsiderate aholes at the ramp, but more often its someone who is new or inexperienced at this and need some help launching or retrieving a boat. 99% of people are embarrassed to hold up the ramp and will be extremely grateful for a helping hand when struggling. To be honest in my early 20s I have been there a time or two myself. If someone is trying but struggling get out and lend a hand.

The garbage thing is another story, I have little tolerance for that.

I guess for funny stories I saw a grandma launching a boat with two men in their 30s and a few teenagers. When it was not launching right the boys all sat and watched while grandma waded in to right it. My wife and I gave her a hand, although that old lady pretty much had it handled. Those young guys didnt want to get their feet wet.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Not that I have not seen some inconsiderate aholes at the ramp, but more often its someone who is new or inexperienced at this and need some help launching or retrieving a boat. 99% of people are embarrassed to hold up the ramp and will be extremely grateful for a helping hand when struggling. To be honest in my early 20s I have been there a time or two myself. If someone is trying but struggling get out and lend a hand.

I guess for funny stories I saw a grandma launching a boat with two men in their 30s and a few teenagers. When it was not launching right the boys all sat and watched while grandma waded in to right it. My wife and I gave her a hand, although that old lady pretty much had it handled. Those young guys didnt want to get their feet wet.

I would agree. I was backing wagons and trailers on the farm way before I was old enough to have a license. Some people never had the practice and backing into a busy boat ramp with onlookers is way different than backing up in your driveway or parking lot. I’ve backed a few trailers in for people who said the same thing, seemed easier at home!

Participant

The best one i ever saw was at the Whitebreast ramp at Red Rock. It was a 4th of July weekend, the ramp was packed with boats trying to get in and out. My wife dropped me off at the dock to go get the truck. There was a guy in his boat yelling at his wife to back the trailer in straight, and hurry up. The lady was having a hard time backing, and the guy just kept yelling at her. She had the trailer almost jack knifed in the middle of the ramp. I noticed her get out of the truck, so i asked her if she wanted me to back it in for her. She politely told me no, turned to her husband and flipped him off, locked the doors of the truck with it running and blocking both lanes of the ramp, and started walking up the ramp. I heard her say F— him and up the road she walked. When i got to my truck and trailer she was still walking up the road. I told my wife to go to the marina and i would pick her up there. Wish i would have had a video of that !

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

I’m all for helping people launch and retrieve their boat. What I dont have patience for is stupid people who rev up their 150 hp to power load or families of 5 setting up all their gear on the boat ramp dock and then giving me dirty looks when Im using it for what it was intended for. If it was a random Tuesday in October I could possibly see it, but dont think you are going to have the ramp to yourself on a holiday weekend in June.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

I’ve helped/coached many people at ramps over the years and often said it is tempting to set up a lawn chair by a busy boat ramp for the entertainment value and to lend people a hand. There are a few jerks, but there are also lot of nice people at the ramp without much experience or are getting a bit elderly who appreciate a bit of help. A long ramp at a reservoir during low water times can really exaggerate a person’s lack of backing experience.

Boats can be both very enjoyable and very frustrating, a boat owner needs to learn to laugh at themselves in both situations. 😆

Be safe on the water

Participant

My first job as a teenager was at the marina on Saylorville Lake. I did all the odd jobs like bagging ice, worked the ramp and fueled boats on the dock.

One afternoon I was on the dock fueling and a newborn baby new boat comes idling into the fuel area. The lady that was operating the boat begins to tear into me that we sold her a POS lemon and she demanded to talk with the owner. I telephoned up to the showroom and they sent the mechanic down to see what the story was.

She laid into him 10x worse than me about the boat being a hunk of junk and wouldn’t plane. The mechanic begins to ask some questions about how she was operating the boat and that sends her over the edge. I still remember, and I quote “I didn’t let my f****** ex husband talk down to me, youre not about to either”. The name on the boat was my settlement, btw.

With her permission he takes the boat out away from the dock and plays with the throttle a bit. Sounded great. The front end would attempt to lift but the boat just acted like its guts were gone. So the mechanic does this a couple times before bringing it back into the dock. As he is docking I happened to notice the front end was sitting pretty low to the water. I point this out to the mechanic and a light bulb goes off.

He reaches into the water to discover the trailer is still attached to the boat. She literally backed down the ramp, unhooked from her vehicle and parked it.

She never did apologize for screaming at us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.