Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Boat cover

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I am wondering if anyone has any experience with buying covers online? I have a 16 ft express bass boat and need a cover and found one tht said it’s for 14-16 ft v-hull boats. Would tht work for my boat  I don’t need it to fit perfect I jus need it to cover the boat decently. Thanks

• This topic was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by AvatarVon7.
    Participant

I don’t know. Perhaps the other members may have an opinion on that.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

The generic covers you buy will cover your boat, but if not supported well they will pocket snow, water and leaves. I have had several people bring their generic cover to me to have it fitted to their boat. I can modify the cover to fit, but it is no longer a cheap cover, they also want it to be trailerable. The generic covers are made from very cheap fabric and will not hold up to water and snow cover not to mention high speed trailering. If you plan on keeping your boat for any length of time, and keeping interior in good shape, I would recommend having a custom fitted cover built. I’ve built several covers over the last 25 yrs. any many are over twenty years,  old and still protecting the boats interiors.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by OlefartOlefart.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by OlefartOlefart.
    Participant

Agree Olefart, the cheap ones only last about 3 years if left outside on a boat and you are correct about supporting the cover from underneath.

cowboycowboy
    Participant

Dang, I’ve been having a local awning company make me one, but they only last 3-5 years typically.  HEAVY canvas, but they just don’t last.  20 years would be amazing!

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

The material I use is a product called Aqualon, I build all my covers and awnings with it. I have awnings I ‘ve built 25 yrs ago still up on the front of businesses in my home town. My supplier is Trivantage . Some of the businesses have their  names painted on their awnings. Next cover you have built I would highly recommend this material.

Participant

Hey Olefart, do you still make boat covers?  I’m in need of one for a 1998 17.5 ft Lund Pro-V SE, which only has a console over the drivers side.  As you suggested, I have gone through several covers over the last 20 years; and other than the original cover I got with the boat new, they last 3 years at best.  Maybe it’s time to try a good one, like you say.

Ballpark…….about how much would a cover cost for my boat?  Thanks

Cheers!

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

Yes I still build custom fitted covers. I charge by  the boat length foot at $75.00 afoot. Usually takes four days from time material order arrives to complete cover.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.