Home Forums Miscellaneous Boating Boat bounces when turning.. bent skeg.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

I’ve got a fiberglass bass boat with a 75HP Merc. When on plane and turning right, it turns like a dream, nice and smooth. But, turning left i can feel the resistance as soon as I start turning and that’s followed by the boat started to bounce like crazy, bad enough that I have to come off plane or turn back to the right to stop it. I’m thinking it’s because of the skeg. Standing behind it, I can definitely see a bend to the right at the bottom of the skeg. It’s not a huge bend, maybe 3/4″ or so. But it also looks like a slight twist.. I tried using a huge monkey wrench to bend it back, but I couldn’t budge it and gave up before I broke it.

Would a bent skeg cause this bouncing issue? Or would it be something else, like heavier on one side of the boat then the other?

I was looking at these replacement skegs, BLACKFINSKEG.COM, but I’m nervous that putting one of these on there isn’t going to do anything for the bend as the replacement will be bent to.

Anyone got any advice? Heat and bend it? Would a marine shop even touch it since it could possibly break? What about the replacement skeg, would it help me?

shaley
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Find someone who fixes these and take it in to be fixed if it is bent. I’m sure the local boat shop can steer you in the right direction.

Wayne Bob
    Participant
    Up
    Down

More info please ? Has it always done it or did you hit something ? Is the cavatation plate broke and is it even with or slightly above the bottom of the boat ? First I would look for something broke on motor frame–t n t –etc, check all the mounting bolts, check the motor for loose bolts . I have a 115 and the scag has been tweaked for years, no problems. I figure I will hit something some day and bend it back or clear off, Then just get a new one welded on. Wayne

remaly181
    Participant
    Up
    Down

A boat will always turn easier to the right given the torque of the prop as it spins clockwise. Even when the skeg isn’t bent it will be more difficult to turn to the left than to the right. But not so much that you have to come off plane. That said, rarely can you just bend the skeg back into place when it is twisted. It will probably need to be heated with a torch to put it back to square.

Wolfdog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Don’t know how to put a picture on here to show you but you might want to check the trim tab on your motor. In my oweners manual it says that improper trim tab adjustment can cause steering problems,hope this helps.

hacksaw
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My 1850 Crestliner does that some at top speed with A 115 HP. I’ve been told that a 4-blade prop would help but there is a downside to that also, I guess. Don’t know that much about but that’s kinda what the guy from the Prop Shop told me. . He said just slowdown a tad when turing left. Can anyone expand on that thought and what is the best solution??

crusher61
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a 30 HP Johnson which I know is quite a bit smaller than yours and the lower part of the skeg does have a bend to it. I thought it was bent and then I looked at a couple other OMC motors of the same general size and I saw the same thing. I am not sure what it’s purpose is, but mine is supposed to be bent. I’d go to somebody with experience in engines and have them take a look.

bowfisher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

turn the trim tab dude!

drof99
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’d say you got something going on for sure. You should be able to turn left at high speed. I agree with what the other guy said on turning to the right being easier but you should still be able to turn left. That being said I would hate to see you try to bend it yourself and break it. I’d take it to a shop for sure! If it matters I run a 3 blade prop with a 150.

Snooter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Wayne+Bob

More info please ? Has it always done it or did you hit something ? Is the cavatation plate broke and is it even with or slightly above the bottom of the boat ? First I would look for something broke on motor frame–t n t –etc, check all the mounting bolts, check the motor for loose bolts . I have a 115 and the scag has been tweaked for years, no problems. I figure I will hit something some day and bend it back or clear off, Then just get a new one welded on. Wayne

Thanks for all the replies guys.. It’s always done this, I’ve never hit anything or drug it on the pavement or something of the sort. it had the bend in it when I bought it. I’ve been seeing other responses (one here) and online that say it may be like that for a reason, like it came like that from the factory. I don’t have the manual so I guess I don’t know. I don’t know what trim tabs are, so I’ll look in to that see what i can find. It’s not a huge issue I guess, but it sure would be nice to turn left without throwing things 10ft in the air! 😆

drof99
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Trim tabs are on both sides of the motor mounted to the hull. Most fishing boat around here don’t have them. Look like a flat metal plate with a bar going the the hull. Let us know what you find out if anything you’ve got me interested.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

One question Snooter,

When the boat is up on plane if you pull your hands away from the steering wheel momentarily does the boat want to turn rapidly to the right or slowly make a right turn? Or if you don’t feel comfortable about letting go of the wheel do you have to keep left hand turn pressure on the wheel to keep it going straight?

Wayne Bob
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do you trim your motor down a little while turning ? Next time out try slowing down a little and trim down a little as you start to turn,– I would almost bet it will help you . I can turn very sharp corners by triming down- back off the throttle a little- turn– start triming back up and accelerate back up. You have to play with your boat to really get it figured out. There are a lot of little tricks to get the most out of your boat. I am in N.E Ia if your not to far I would take a look at your boat and give opinion. I have been Bass fishing the upper Miss. since the late 60s. Wayne

Wayne Bob
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Do you trim your motor down a little while turning ? Next time out try slowing down a little and trim down a little as you start to turn,– I would almost bet it will help you . I can turn very sharp corners by triming down- back off the throttle a little- turn– start triming back up and accelerate back up. You have to play with your boat to really get it figured out. There are a lot of little tricks to get the most out of your boat. I am in N.E Ia if your not to far I would take a look at your boat and give opinion. I have been Bass fishing the upper Miss. since the late 60s. Wayne

hacksaw
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wayne Bob- That is the closest to what I have been told by those in the business . Yes, as someone else mentioned the trim tab affects the way a boat runs true without anymore resistance turning right or left on the tiller or steering wheel. I had a Ranger that was harder to turn one direction, I don’t remember which. I had local people manually adjust by sight. Only after I had Bucksaw Marina down on Truman Lake set it by a laser did the problem go away. That was almost 20 years ago. The problem I believe that was asked and the situation I have now is that the Boat when turning fairly sharply left at high speed will sort hop the back end to the right some and kick up water as the person was saying. Doesn’t normally bother me that much but my wife will holler at me. 😀 Also you especially have to allow for it some if you are going through a tight area. Slowing some and trimming the bow down some works and that is what I do if in a tight situation as Wayne Bob says. In Nascar, they would call it a “loose” condition. 🙂

hacksaw
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Wayne Bob- That is the closest to what I have been told by those in the business . Yes, as someone else mentioned the trim tab affects the way a boat runs true without anymore resistance turning right or left on the tiller or steering wheel. I had a Ranger that was harder to turn one direction, I don’t remember which. I had local people manually adjust by sight. Only after I had Bucksaw Marina down on Truman Lake set it by a laser did the problem go away. That was almost 20 years ago. The problem I believe that was asked and the situation I have now is that the Boat when turning fairly sharply left at high speed will sort hop the back end to the right some and kick up water as the person was saying. Doesn’t normally bother me that much but my wife will holler at me. 😀 Also you especially have to allow for it some if you are going through a tight area. Slowing some and trimming the bow down some works and that is what I do if in a tight situation as Wayne Bob says. In Nascar, they would call it a “loose” condition. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.