Home Forums Miscellaneous Outdoor Tidbits blackbirds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dumb question are blackbirds protected in Iowa? I can’t find anything on it. Don’t want to piss those next door off to bad,

Participant

As far as I know, yes. Starlings no.

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

What I called black birds a neighbor informed me is a Grackle shimmers in iridescent black and purple, and brown females are about half the male’s size. They throw half the seed in the feeder on the ground.

Participant

As said. Grackles are not protected, but the red, yellow, orange, and other color variations of wing black birds are. I read some where they are considered a song bird.

PCIPCI
    Participant

After a google search looks like they are grackles I’ve called them blackbirds my whole life.

Participant

UNPROTECTED NONGAME
    The European starling, the house sparrow,
    and the common garter snake are not protected
    species. Timber rattlesnakes are protected
    in Allamakee, Clayton, Delaware, Des Moines,
    Dubuque, Fayette, Henry, Jackson, Jones,
    Lee, Madison, Van Buren and Winneshiek
    counties but not including an area of 50 yards
    around houses actively occupied by human
    beings in those counties.

Participant

Stizos is right.. English sparrows and starlings are “it”.. Pigeons, within so many feet of buildings. Grackles *are* protected..

Participant

Quote by: HideHunter

Stizos is right.. English sparrows and starlings are “it”.. Pigeons, within so many feet of buildings. Grackles *are* protected..

Pigeons are now open season.

Participant

but there aren’t any pigeons

edit: I don’t mean to be a crank. An open season on pigeons is from days gone by when they were numerous, yes? Seeing a flock of pigeons now is kind of a treat for me.

stick500stick500
    Participant

Anyone know why there aren’t as many pigeons as there were 2 or 3 decades ago? Is it simply due to more hawks and eagles, or a change in available nesting sites or food source? I just commented on how rare they are yesterday.

Participant

Quote by: stick500

Anyone know why there aren’t as many pigeons as there were 2 or 3 decades ago? Is it simply due to more hawks and eagles, or a change in available nesting sites or food source? I just commented on how rare they are yesterday.

My first guess would be fewer acreages with building sites…. fewer barns, corn cribs, grain bins, etc.

Participant

While this isn’t based on anything scientific, I would suggest that perhaps it has to do with the loss of nesting sites (barns/corn cribs etc.) in proximity to feed sources (livestock feed). Back in those days there were so many more farmsteads on each section and usually they had a few hogs, chickens and maybe a cow so feed was plentiful. Many of these small farms also had barns and corn cribs or other outbuildings suitable for nesting. These days so many of those structures are gone, nobody uses corn cribs anymore and most of those barns have been torn down or have fallen down. Livestock is raised by the 1000’s on specialized sites so feed is much less available. Even if either nesting habitat or adequate feed is available, often times it may not be in close enough proximity to the other to make it a feasible site for living and raising little pigeons. Just my .02

Participant

killed 193 pigeons last august in just over 2 hours. shot them over decoys. plenty of them around just have to know where to hunt.

Participant

I think the areas with them are more rare and populations might be more concentrated. Where I used to live there were NO pigeons. About the only places you would find them is large highway bridges over rivers out in the country. But that was an area of HUGE company farms and next to zero livestock. Now, there is a section near me where they are thick. This area is kind of close to town, not real far out in the boonies. Lots of old retired farmers in that area that have kept their old buildings and still live in the old farm house, and still raise a few hogs or maybe have a small cattle lot on the property. Pigeons seem to be all over this area. Never went after them specifically but dove hunting it is pretty common to have a few come in.

Participant

Quote by: berettadouble

Quote by: HideHunter

Pigeons are now open season.

thnx.. missed that one..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.