Home Forums Trapping / Fur Handling Trapping Black trap wax???

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Have always used standard white trap wax but have wondered about throwing a block or two of the black into my wax pot as it’s getting a bit low after waxing my K9 traps this fall. Anyone use it or have an opinion on it?

speng5
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Coonsqualler

Have always used standard white trap wax but have wondered about throwing a block or two of the black into my wax pot as it’s getting a bit low after waxing my K9 traps this fall. Anyone use it or have an opinion on it?

What would be the point of the black wax, supposing you’ve dyed your traps? Or does the black wax mean you don’t have to? I honestly have not seen any colored trap wax ever, but granted Ive always bought the same kind and from the same place, so I don’t look around at wax much.

outdoorsron
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello: Don’t see that it would hurt anything. Good Luck. O – R

Coonsqualler
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve seen several trapping supply places selling it. (Snare shop is our local outlet) Claim is that is has “special bonding agents” to create a stronger bond to the trap and I suppose give it some color for about 50 cents more per pound. I’ve always dyed and waxed with clear wax and never any problems but wondered if anyone had tried this stuff.

Brad Phillips
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: outdoorsron

Hello: Don’t see that it would hurt anything. Good Luck. O – R

Can’t hurt anything, although my wax is a brown color from dyeing with walnuts I suppose. I just add more as the level gets too low to be functional.

JD Rogge
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Seems a bit gimmicky honestly if you’re k9 trapping your trap will be bedded/buried/blended anyway, the color of the trap or the wax is a non issue, I’d buy the white if its cheaper.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.