Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Bi-pod reccomendations

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a savage bolt action 223 and was wondering what Bi-pods you have had good luck with? I have the portable ones made with electric fence posts and elastrator bands now. Would like to have one less thing to carry. Would rather not get crazy with price, $50 or less.

Participant

Versa Pod. I don’t remember what I paid but you can get a mount for different guns and just click them off. I have several different lengths easy to switch out and rock solid.

Participant

My heavy gun has a Harris on it. When I call and move a lot I just carry cross sticks, either bought or homemade.

Seemed like when I set up to call that solid mounted bi-pods were never right for my location. Too tall, too short, or just hard to move if I had to twist around and get a shot.

kelkel
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. If you had to pick one length or height to buy, what would that be?

Participant

Mine is 8″ – 12″, mostly used where I have time and can pick the shooting location.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

I assume you want a sitting height since you’ve been using fence posts and castration bands, and not a prone height?

In general attached bipods are a love them or hate them thing for most folks. And most folks hate them LOL. They add weight to your rifle and are expensive if you get a good one.

I’m in the group of loving the attached bipod. I’ve used sticks alot also, and some spots require it. But most the time I prefer a tall swivel harris, Model S-25C. I bought it back in 2006 and have killed dozens and dozens of called coyotes with it with far fewer misses than when I use sticks. It’s more rigid than shooting off sticks, but that rigidity also makes it less forgiving at some spots. I like how I can one hand move the rifle, like when I’m using both a rifle and shotgun on stand. and I like how the bipod acts as a kick stand for the rifle while I’m setting up the ecaller, keeping it out of the snow and muck. And I like how it can be used in the tall prone position also when you need to make a prone shot on a spotted coyote or where the terrain permits calling from the prone position.

They aren’t cheap, but I doubt you’ll ever wear it out. I’ve had mine for over 8 years, it’s $130 new, that’s not much per year of use.

Participant

I am in the other boat. I have several different lengths of bi-pods from the short to the tall and with or without swivel. All are Harris and one versa pod. I can tell you that the only time that I use them are when we go out to SD to shoot PD’s. The rest of the time they hang from the wall. The reason that they hang there is because they are just tooooooo short for the hunting that I do. I then went to the pole cat (non gun mounted) bipods and used them up until last year. One set was the 3 piece and one was the 2 piece telescoping legs. The 3 piece legs were good for standing shots to sitting and everything in between. The 2 piece legs were good for kneeling to sitting. Then last year I picked up a bog pod tripod and have used it up until now. I won’t leave home without it. It will cover sitting to standing and everything in between. The tripod will give you more stability and swivels. My kid used it last week to hit a steel gong with my dads 22lr revolver and his xdm 40 at 100yds. No matter what you go with it will add weight. It is going to be either to the gun or to yourself. I would rather have the bog pod because it does not matter what gun I grab it works with it and I don’t have to unscrew from one gun to the other. I can also use it when pistol hunting. But to stay in the $50 or less you are not going to get much.

Participant

The perfect bi-pod recommendation is 3-4 foxhounds.
    you will find, see and catch more than you could with your bi-pod.
    😆

Good luck and have fun!!!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

bipods and shooting sticks eat less dog food though. 😆

Participant

Quote by: scruffy

bipods and shooting sticks eat less dog food though. 😆

That they do…maybe I should get some bipods

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.