Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Big Creek, Saylorville and DSM River

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last saturday, I went out to Big creek and didnt get a bite. The folks I talked to werent catching anything either.
    I then moved to Saylorville, right below the spillway. Had one bite, but it was a noncommittal attempt at my bait. No one was catching anything there as well.
    I then moved to Cottonwood park right below the tube where saylorville drains. We had one caught but it got off before we could get it in. I dont think it was anything of size.

Im surprized that the action was soo slow in all of those places last saturday. I was using worms on a slip bobber and on the bottom along with some corn to see if we could get a carp to bite for the kids, but nothing.
    Anyone having any luck in those areas and or am I dont something wrong. I also tried some stink bait but nothing hit it.

Participant

I too have had a harder time getting on fish this year on Big Creek. I’ve marked fish on structure on my electronics but haven’t really caught anything. I have been catching some LMB up against the banks in the snags but that’s been it.

I’m thinking the crappie bite has moved into post spawn deeper water.

I know that doesn’t help, but you’re not alone in a tougher bite.

Participant

I have been fishing all these locations once or twice a week, I try to get out every night. I have found it to be a different story for whichever your fishing for. I have tried to do the whatever is biting approach but it has failed me every time. For white bass you almost have to have a boat and troll 8-10 FOW real slow around dropoffs. For crappie I have had a hard time finding them but I have done best after 8 pm when the bite gets better for about a hour. Bluegills are almost impossible if I am not fishing farm ponds currently. Walleye I can usually manage dinks and 3-4 13″(just under the limit) at big creek but it has to be just before sunset using 1/8th ounce jig with minnow and letting it bounce off bottom and reeling in slow, im talking really slow like you can feel it on the bottom just dragging. Havent tried for catfish but when I am at scott street/cottonwood I see the bank set guys using sunnies getting the most action.
    All around it is very slow and while the big creek spillway was nuts about 3 weeks ago, currently it is a waste of time for me.
    I try to get out every night and usually from 6-9pm. Not a huge waste of time and its nice to relax a little. I have been throwing around the idea of wading below saylorville spillway for some night walleyes if the river and ACOE would cooperate.
    If anyone else has any tips it would be nice to hear what strategy is working.

Participant

Quote by: janningc

I have been fishing all these locations once or twice a week, I try to get out every night. I have found it to be a different story for whichever your fishing for. I have tried to do the whatever is biting approach but it has failed me every time. For white bass you almost have to have a boat and troll 8-10 FOW real slow around dropoffs. For crappie I have had a hard time finding them but I have done best after 8 pm when the bite gets better for about a hour. Bluegills are almost impossible if I am not fishing farm ponds currently. Walleye I can usually manage dinks and 3-4 13″(just under the limit) at big creek but it has to be just before sunset using 1/8th ounce jig with minnow and letting it bounce off bottom and reeling in slow, im talking really slow like you can feel it on the bottom just dragging. Havent tried for catfish but when I am at scott street/cottonwood I see the bank set guys using sunnies getting the most action.
    All around it is very slow and while the big creek spillway was nuts about 3 weeks ago, currently it is a waste of time for me.
    I try to get out every night and usually from 6-9pm. Not a huge waste of time and its nice to relax a little. I have been throwing around the idea of wading below saylorville spillway for some night walleyes if the river and ACOE would cooperate.

This is really good information — thanks for sharing. I have been at the Big Creek spillway when it was on fire exactly one time in the spring when the fishing for white bass was really good that one time. The largemouth and smallmouth bass will hit minnows fished under a bobber in the coves at Big Creek, but good luck getting a keeper as the minimum size is 18″! Earlier this spring I had what looked to be around a 36″ musky follow one of my lures to shore, but it wouldn’t bite. Even so it was still pretty cool to get a firsthand look at a larger musky in that body of water. They are out there, but you probably need at least 10,000 casts to catch one. 😕

Participant

Im running into the same issues and have been fishing all of those areas. The fishing has been horrible the last couple weeks. I went to the Big Creek spillway Monday night and managed 3 fish between 2 of us fishing 8 hours total. So I tried the Saylorville spillway downstream a little, good luck finding a spot and if you do be prepared to fish around garbage thrown everywhere. I lose more jigs at that place than I do fishing everywhere else combined. I don’t know why the fishing has been so bad lately, usually when it starts getting hotter like this it picks up even more.

Participant

I could be wrong but I believe the DMWW controls the outflow now and they do a terrible job if it is them. Water level is never consistent and that could be one of the reasons the fishing is so bad up there. I’ve been doing pretty well at big creek using minnows with a little split shot and just leave it on the bottom. Biggest eye so far was 20 inches but 9 out of 10 are little dinks most of the time. Lost lake was pretty hot with the panfish but I haven’t been out there in maybe 10 days. The white bass/wiper bite will pick up very soon though hopefully.

Participant

Quote by: FishingAddiction

I could be wrong but I believe the DMWW controls the outflow now and they do a terrible job if it is them. Water level is never consistent and that could be one of the reasons the fishing is so bad up there. I’ve been doing pretty well at big creek using minnows with a little split shot and just leave it on the bottom. Biggest eye so far was 20 inches but 9 out of 10 are little dinks most of the time. Lost lake was pretty hot with the panfish but I haven’t been out there in maybe 10 days. The white bass/wiper bite will pick up very soon though hopefully.

ACOE still and always will control the outflow of Saylorville. That will never be controlled by Des Moines Water Works. Erratic changes in water flow can make things difficult but you have to learn to adjust. Constant changes in flow from the tube are nothing new. It has always been that way when we have consistent precipitation. Only time it is steady is when we have a long dry spell, like a couple years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.