Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum Big Creek Fish Kill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Anybody have any idea what killed all the fish at big creek? I was out there last Friday and there was hundreds of dead fish. Looked to be at least 90% white bass.

Participant
    Up
    Down

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Definitely not good news. Do you happen to have any pictures you could share?

Participant
    Up
    Down

Saw that too. I saw mostly white bass also with a few drum mixed in. The more alarming thing I saw was the amount shad in BC. I’m no expert but it seems there are getting to be too many. I hope BC isn’t on it’s way to getting drained again.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Is there a bad algae bloom? I have been noticing this on lakes like little river and badger.

Participant
    Up
    Down

No pics and the water was pretty clear, didn’t see any algae. I heard it was bloomed up a couple of weeks ago but it wasn’t anymore. It looked like a lot of vegetation was dead, makes me suspicious of what happened.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Buddy talked to the DNR about the shad last year and they have no plans to drain it again. He said they are why the bluegill fishery is in the dumpster on that lake. They are definitely thick in there.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I saw a lot of white bass and even a couple of carp. No algae bloom that I could see this past weekend. Water was in fairly good shape it seemed. Was a bit baffled myself. No algae bloom, recent rains should have helped replenish oxygen levels. Maybe the rains washed in a bunch of chemicals or something that had been sitting on the surface during the drought?

Participant
    Up
    Down

I was out on the lake last Saturday and saw hundreds of dead fish on the shore as well. Mostly white bass. Wasn’t sure what to think about it. Found this article online: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/iowa/articles/2017-08-26/white-bass-die-off-at-big-creek-lake-in-central-iowa

Participant
    Up
    Down

Seems odd that a virus would only target 1 specific type of fish. I was reading some stuff online about a new herbicide being used, of course produced by Monsanto, that is killing everything that is not genetically modified to be immune to the week killer. Its called Dicamba. Apparently its killing trees as well as other crops that were not genetically modified and is spreading from fields it is put on to other fields by the wind. Makes you wonder what it will do to humans and what does it do to the wildlife when it runs off into our water ways.

Participant
    Up
    Down

White- Dicamba has been around for decades. It is a volatile herbicide that caused significant crop damage (Dicamba burn) going back to the 90s and beyond. I worked in the chemical division at a couple different coops in the late 90s, and it was a problem back then.

The issue you are referring to has to do with a new formulation of the chemical that was pushed through trials and testing due to glyphosate (Round Up) resistant pigweed infestations in soybeans. The chemical companies believe they corrected the volatilization/drift issue, but that does not seem to be the case as extensive drift related damage is being observed in many areas.

The farmers, agronomists, and extension scientists are pointing fingers at Monsanto. Monsanto is pointing fingers back at the former; citing anecdotal evidence that some may be using up stockpiled Dicamba in the previous formulation to create an issue and force class action litigation ie- earn a paycheck. Who knows?

My question in all of this is why we have become so dependent on chemicals in the first place? In the drive to maximize yields, seed companies have increased corn and bean field populations to the point that the rows are too narrow to drive between in many cases. Farmers even accept a certain amount of damage by driving over the beans when spraying them.

In the not too distant past, farmers used to plant wide enough rows to be able to cultivate to help manage weeds. This increased fuel costs and created compaction on some soils, but weeds cant develop resistance to mechanical destruction of their root systems.

Just my $.02

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: White81

Seems odd that a virus would only target 1 specific type of fish. I was reading some stuff online about a new herbicide being used, of course produced by Monsanto, that is killing everything that is not genetically modified to be immune to the week killer. Its called Dicamba. Apparently its killing trees as well as other crops that were not genetically modified and is spreading from fields it is put on to other fields by the wind. Makes you wonder what it will do to humans and what does it do to the wildlife when it runs off into our water ways.

Dicamba isn’t new. It’s a broad spectrum herbicide, like Roundup.

Participant
    Up
    Down

This happened at Okoboji a few years ago. There was dead white bass everywhere. It’s strange to see.

Up
    Down

There are NO new herbicides on the market. The ones we have are the same as for decades. All we get is reformulations and mixers of existing formulas with possibly different surfactants or activators added.

Fish kills like this have happened for years on various lakes. Not good to see but not all that uncommon.

Participant
    Up
    Down

According to Andy with the DNR, there is some kind of bacteria killing the white bass. It only kills white bass. Hopefully it doesn’t affect Saylorville as well.

stick500stick500
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I saw a big fish kill on a lake in SW WI (Yellowstone) about a decade ago and it only targeted crappies. I heard it was some sort of virus at the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.