Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Best youth gun for deer hunting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My son wants to try deer hunting this year, trying to find a gun for him open to muzzleloader or shotgun. What have you guys had luck with? thanks,
    He will be 7 next year and probably around 70Ibs…..

MyDogCarlMyDogCarl
    Participant

Rem 870 Express Youth…

Participant

Any youth model shotgun would work but I feel a muzzle loader loaded light with a scope might be the best option. I think it’s CVA who makes a youth model or shorter version

Participant

I bought a Mossburg bantom 20ga combo, good adjustable butt.

Participant

Quote by: bigbuckhunter88

Any youth model shotgun would work but I feel a muzzle loader loaded light with a scope might be the best option. I think it’s CVA who makes a youth model or shorter version

I would second that. It would teach him how to use a ML. Shot gun – put shell in, safety off, pull trigger. ML is a little more work.

Blocked

Muzzleloader. Loaded light so it does not scare them or hurt them. Ear protection also…young ears are way sensitive. No reason to give them a bad experience. As for shotgun there is not a gun out there has a more economical or reliable platform than Mossberg 500. A 20 gauge youth in this model would be my choice it also comes with paperwork to upgrade to adult stock when reay.

Participant

Muzzle loader with 50 grains of powder and 250 grain hornady XTP. Shoots like a 22 and kills out to 80 yards. My two boys have killed 5 deer between the 2 with that setup. They were both 7 when they shot their first deer.

Participant

Knight youth ML.

Participant

What is your budget? Everyone is going to tell you what they have that works. What are your expectations of this gun? Is it going to be used for multiple children in the family or go down the road after this youngster?

My oldest shot his deer last year with my muzzle loader loaded with 100 gr of 777, we practiced with 50 grains. That gun was a big bit for him and he is a big kid, 5′ 4″ 130 pounds. The recoil didn’t seem to bother him when he shot his deer.

I decided to buy them a Savage 220 compact. They have shot it, I have shot it and it seems to be a really good fit for the style of hunting we plan to do and should serve us for a LONG time. I didn’t mind the full 1800-1900fps loads and the boys handled the 1600fps loads very well. There was also a $50 coupon off a full size stock that came with that gun, but honestly I don’t think I will ever buy that, I didn’t have any troubles shooting the compact stock and with a heavy coat on it will not be an issue.

Hope this is helpful and good luck on your quest.

Participant

I have been introducing two kids to deer hunting for several years. My daughter is 14 and son 9. I have an adult muzzle loader, youth muzzle loader and youth 870 20 ga. Either muzzleloader loaded with 50 grains of powder and a 250 bullet is much easier for them to shoot accurately (VERY little kick) than the youth 20 ga. My daughter’s first three deer were with my muzzy. She shot it fine. It was just heavy for her to maneuver with, so it was a good excuse to buy a smaller one for her and her brother coming up. Point being the youth muzzy was kind if just a nicety, not something you must have. I have read this load will cleanly kill out to 100 yards. I have not had a kid shoot that load that far yet but have seen 6 deer all fall to one shot with that combination. Range from 20 to 80 yards. the longest three being 50, 70 & 80 yards. I happen to use Barnes bullets but many others are probably fine. One thing that has been absolutely 100% necessary is that that my kids have had to have a tripod or a shooting rail off a stand to have any accuracy. They just don’t have the arm strength to free hand a muzzy or a shotgun. My daughter has taken turkey with the youth 20 ga, so she can shoot it. The muzzy is just better for longer range.

Participant

I let my 11 year old shoot his first deer this year with my Savage muzzleloader. He shot the same load I would normally shoot but the key here was I built a stand to go in my blind to allow him to put the lead sled on! Very little recoil and they can hold steady when the time comes to pull the trigger.

FF

Participant

I’d suggest a muzzleloader as well since you can control the loads. If you opt for a shotgun, ensure it has enough weight to help minimize recoil. I bought my son a Mossberg 20ga youth combo – nice and light – kicked like a mule, esp. with slugs.

Participant

muzzloader sounds like best solution for my kid…..budget wise not too worried, if anyone has one for sale, I would be interested,

I think an advantage to a muzzloader is you can practice just with the primers, squeezing the trigger not flinching, etc……I have a couple of spots where I can get hime within 50 yards of a deer, I don’t want him shooting in further than that.

It is funny how well little kid’s ears work….stuff that hurts their ears, doesn’t bother mine at all…….

Participant

Muzzleloader works great. Got my son a TC impact when he was 8. Has a removable spacer to shorten stock for youth. Very accurate. Used 85 grains of blackhorn , cci primer with 200 grain tc shockwave to reduce kick. Shot his first deer at eight and second last year and ready to go for next season. Think I’m going to move him to 250 grain bullet this year with maybe a little more powder. He needed help with holding steady, so got a Caldwell deadshot rest to use in the blind , that was awesome also.

Participant

TC impact sometimes found for around $200. You mentioned noise, the first dear he shot , he did not have his muffs on , too loud, so now always makes sure ear muffs are on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.