Home Forums Fishing Panfishing Best rod for throwing light crappie and bluegill jigs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All- looking for recommendations on the best crappie/bluegill rod for throwing light jigs. I currently use a ML 6′ St. Croix Triumph and 6925 Pflueger President with 6# mono, and it works fantastic for lures and baits 1/8 oz and heavier and for slip bobbing in all conditions. However, it does not throw 1/16 oz and lighter jigs very well.

I have a Pflueger President 6920 that I would like to match with a rod that can sling light jigs without having to wind it up and throw my shoulder out whipping it. I assume I need a longer UL, but the ones that I have handled at Wally World and BP feel low quality and too whippy. I appreciate all the help in advance!

Participant

I would suggest changing line.. nanofil excels at throwing light lures/jigs..

Participant

An ultralight is going to feel ‘whippy’ – that’s part of what lets you cast the lightweight jigs. I picked up a 7′ UL Shakespeare at the Fisherman’s Factory outlet for $5 a couple weeks ago, and I’ve got a 7.5′ UL Cabelas rod with a Pflueger President and 4 lb mono as my go-to panfish rod.

Participant

I will take a peek at the nano line.

Does that 7.5′ UL have enough backbone to get a solid hookset on the occasional bass?

Participant

Here are a couple to consider.
    http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmg/fenwick-hmg-spinning/1363884.html#prefn1=ZZSERIES&prefv1=Fenwick%252520HMG&start=2

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-freshwater-rods-fenwick-hmx/fenwick-hmx-spinning/1405243.html#prefn1=ZZSERIES&prefv1=Fenwick%252520HMX&start=1

Nice rods and not as “wimpy” as one might expect. I’ve handled eater size walleyes without too much problem. I am partial to the Fenwick® HMX® Spinning Model#HMX76L-MFS-2

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

Why not look at the St.Croix panfish series rods? The 7″ Light and the 6’9″ UL would be great options.

Participant

Thank you for all the recommendations guys.

Regarding the St. Croix’s, I know they make fine rods, and I was interested in seeing if there was an alternative out there with similar performance for less than $100. I spent a lot more on lower quality reels before I bought my first Pflueger. 😉

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

Quote by: LundImpact1675

Thank you for all the recommendations guys.

Regarding the St. Croix’s, I know they make fine rods, and I was interested in seeing if there was an alternative out there with similar performance for less than $100. I spent a lot more on lower quality reels before I bought my first Pflueger. 😉

Got it. I would look at Fenwicks then like someone else mentioned.

Participant

a good 61/2-7 ft UL should do the trick, but I would suggest 4 lb. test . I have 2 Tica Cetus series reels that are awesome with a UL set up. 😀

Participant

The 7′ UL Shakespeare mentioned previously is very well priced if you ask me. I bought one and I am extremely pleased with it. Also as mentioned before change the line, change the line. I run 2 lb test on my reels crappie fishing. Sometimes I will drop to 1 lb. I throw a 1/32 and 1/64 jigs without a bobber which when I was running with 4 lb test I couldn’t get it out over 6 feet. The lighter the line the farther you will be able to cast your turn.

Participant

That St Croix panfish rod runs 99 dollars while that 7′ UL Shakespeare (UL = micro lite) runs 19 dollars. You can buy a nice ultra lite reel with the 80 bucks you just saved. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing again St Croix rods, I have two of them I use for worming while bass fishing. I just can’t see spending that kind of money for a crappie rod, just my opinion.

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

I would suggest changing line.. nanofil excels at throwing light lures/jigs..

I’ve got nanofil on my panfish rig and I really like it. It’s my sniper rifle of light fishing tackle. I’ve got an 8′ Eagle Claw fiberglass rod and it slings light tackle across lakes. 😆

Participant

I’ve been very pleased with a 6 1/2 foot, medium light action, Berkeley Lightning rod I bought on a trip to Minnesota a couple years ago after I broke an ultra light. It is rated for 6 to 12 lb line and 1/16 oz to 1/2 oz lures. It is my favorite crappie rod. It has a little backbone and I really believe I can cast light baits better with a little bit stiffer rod than one that is really whippy. I use 4 lb test Stren mono on a Pflueger Trion TRI25 reel and you can really cast 1/16 oz jigs easily. It’s about the only crappie rod I use. It is well worth the $35-$40 I paid for it.

Participant

Hello: I agree you don’t need an expensive rod for Crappie and gills. If a Scheels store is close check some of the Scheels brand rods. My experience with St. Crap , I mean St. Croix is their rods are way over priced for what you get and their customer service sucks. Good Luck. O – R

Participant

I have a Shakespeare 6 1/2 but in a light action nice rod. Mine is paired up with a president 6730 and 2/8 braid ( with flouro leader). Had to much trouble with no control of fish ( not good on the Miss.) and hook sets with the UL. The line DOES make a world of difference for casting. This set up has handled 5 lb. northern and 3 + smallies. They were a hand full,( and fun!) but got them in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.