Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes Best pot, kettle for frying outside on turkey fryer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I love to make French frys but guy what the heck pot kettle or pan should I use to
    Safety do this so I dot. Set the back yard on fire?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Fish fryer over propane stand or go electric. Tfal has an awesome 3 liter fryer for about $120 on Amazon. It filters the oil back into a reservoir to use again. I can get about 10 uses out of one gallon of oil. The fryer seems spendy, but I have already paid for it twice in all the oil I have saved.

Blocked

Dano,
    Are you referring to the Tfal FR7008? I am looking for something new to use for frying fish and everything else and considering one of these. Right now I just use FryDaddy out on deck. I see the newer model the FR8000 is much cheaper and seems to have same features. Have you had any bad experience with yours?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

The FR8000 is a 2 or 3 model upgrades from mine as its about 3 years old. A buddy just bought the FR8000 and says he loves it. It also has over 1,200 rating of 4.5 stars on Amazon. I would buy this one if I didn’t have mine.

huntersafehuntersafe
    Participant

Quote by: iceking25

I love to make French frys but guy what the heck pot kettle or pan should I use to
    Safety do this so I dot. Set the back yard on fire?

I made lots with a 6qt Dutch oven. Start with ten hot brackets and add or remove as the temp tells you ( 375 ) use a good thermometer. I usually just us plain vegetable oil. Any oil with a high smoke point is best, especially if you are new to cooking with a Dutch oven. I save my oil afterwards by straining it into a jar. I filter the oil with a coffee filter, You can reuse it a few times.

Participant

I also like my Cast Iron pots. The metal holds a lot of heat so the temperature drop is less when you put whatever you are cooking in the oil. But you will go thru more oil! You can avoid temp drop by putting less product (fish, fries – whatever) in the oil and doing more batches.

Participant

Turkey fryer base and a deep Dutch oven from Wally World. Smooth bottom, kitchen type….

Participant

Cast all the way! 😀

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I use a LP burner and a cast iron frying pan or dutch oven.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

i recently used my cast iron skillet over my propane burner to fry fish. It left black soot all over the bottom of the skillet and i can not get it cleaned off. I keep getting black stuff all over anything and everything. Any advice on how to clean it or what i did wrong? Or is this normal. First time cast iron user.

Participant

Quote by: ahav

i recently used my cast iron skillet over my propane burner to fry fish. It left black soot all over the bottom of the skillet and i can not get it cleaned off. I keep getting black stuff all over anything and everything. Any advice on how to clean it or what i did wrong? Or is this normal. First time cast iron user.

Soot on the bottom of your cookware suggests an improper air/fuel ratio resulting in an incomplete burn of the fuel. Some burner assembly’s have an air shutter that you turn until you get a nice blue flame. On some burners I have had to use a piece of tape to restrict the air flow to achieve this. An old campfire trick to keep pan bottoms clean is to rub them liberally with bar soap which acts as a barrier to the smoke/soot and washes off easily.

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

For deep frying, both the 6 qt dutch oven and 3 liter electric are great choices. I’ve more experience using the cast iron over a propane burner but the last couple years been gravitating more and more to electric because of safety and with it’s internal thermostat it is nearly impossible to get too hot and scorch the oil and breading. Either way, the more oil volume you have, the less the food will bring down the temp and the sooner it will get back up to frying temp. Also, the bigger batches you can make at a time so everyone can eat at the same time. My current electric is only 1.5 or 2 liter, and I am looking for a larger one. Works great for lots of things, pork tenderloins, chicken, larger fish, french fries etc. I am making myself hungry. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.