Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Blocked

Quote by: IaCraig

Quote by: Jefro

I’ve had a Weber spirit gas grill for about 10 years. Leave it on the deck, covered and have only had to replace the “flavor bars”.

How are all of these grills rusting out? Are they covered and still rusting?

Speaking from my personal experience they rust from the inside out…… I had a sears kenmore for about 6 years . (basically a charbroil). It was always covered but the main grates just deteriorated away and replacements were spendy. Also the flavor bars were replaced several times and most recently the burners rusted out. Also the igniter didn’t work more often than it did. I was going to resurrect it until my wife bought me the Weber for fathers day. Glad she did, new grates, burners, ignitor and flavor bars for the Kenmore were about the same $ as the grill was new…………… plus when I did throw it out I got a little rough with it and learned that other parts were rusted too so my resurrection would have probably only lasted 1 or 2 years.

IMO, covers are the main reason for rust. Most of them do little to nothing to keep grills protected and they’re like a big giant greenhouse that keeps it from drying out when it gets wet. Would you put your wet cast iron skillet, un-oiled, in a black plastic bag and then put it away to sit in the sun?

My Weber sits on the patio all year uncovered and I’ve not had any issues in almost ten years. A buddy has one that has sat outside since the 1980s and he’s replaced the grates and flavor bars once. The wood is about gone but the grill still works like a champ. If you actually take care of it and clean it frequently, including the drip trap and internals, they will last for a LONG time. Neglect them and they will not.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

NomadNomad
    Participant
    frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

Quote by: maxx

Quote by: frmboybuck

I am switching to a pellet I just haven’t decided which one yet. Green mountain is on the list cause of
    Wifi but I am thinking I want to buy once and have something that can get hotter. I am thinking Rec Ted or yoder.

I had the same problem as the OP with gas grills. They don’t last. 4 years ago, I dropped the money on a Yoder 640 and couldn’t be happier. Awesome machine. Don’t let the hype of RecTec fool you. They are cheaply made Chinese grills compared to the American made stuff. Mak, Yoder, Blazin… All make solid grills

That is the way I am leaning but honestly I haven’t heard that much bad about the rec tech. I like that the yoder can get up to 600F.

Have you tried pizza on it?

Yes, pizza turns out great. I have the grill grates also and they are the best accessory you could buy for any grill. I did not buy the comp cart as nice sits in a screened in porch all the time. If you are moving it in and out of a garage or shed, I’d recommend it. They are HEAVY

Participant

We had city trash day a few weeks ago, when everyone puts anything and everything out on the curb, and people (mostly out-of-towners) drive around and sort through it, usually hauling most of it away before the garbage trucks pick it up.
    This year I was amazed at the number of gas grills that people had sitting out. There were guys with trailers driving around picking up nothing but gas grills. The guy that picked up my neighbors had at least a dozen on his trailer.
    Point being, the lifespan of gas grills is really pathetic.

Participant

I am switching to a pellet I just haven’t decided which one yet. Green mountain is on the list cause of
    Wifi but I am thinking I want to buy once and have something that can get hotter. I am thinking Rec Ted or yoder.

I had the same problem as the OP with gas grills. They don’t last. 4 years ago, I dropped the money on a Yoder 640 and couldn’t be happier. Awesome machine. Don’t let the hype of RecTec fool you. They are cheaply made Chinese grills compared to the American made stuff. Mak, Yoder, Blazin… All make solid grills

That is the way I am leaning but honestly I haven’t heard that much bad about the rec tech. I like that the yoder can get up to 600F.

Yes, pizza turns out great. I have the grill grates also and they are the best accessory you could buy for any grill. I did not buy the comp cart as nice sits in a screened in porch all the time. If you are moving it in and out of a garage or shed, I’d recommend it. They are HEAVY

Cool thanks for the insight. I turn 40 in October and this is what momma is going to get me.

I am going to put it on my deck. It is on a walk out it wont move much. Any concern with it being close to the house on a raised composite deck?

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: WhiteMoose

We had city trash day a few weeks ago, when everyone puts anything and everything out on the curb, and people (mostly out-of-towners) drive around and sort through it, usually hauling most of it away before the garbage trucks pick it up.
    This year I was amazed at the number of gas grills that people had sitting out. There were guys with trailers driving around picking up nothing but gas grills. The guy that picked up my neighbors had at least a dozen on his trailer.
    Point being, the lifespan of gas grills is really pathetic.

Agreed, I also see them at the curb all the time. I’ve heard the avg a gas grill scraps close to $10, more if it is larger or has lots of stainless steel in it. If I was retired and if my wife would let me, I’d probably do it too just to have a hobby that pays $ instead of costing $ . I think scrap metal prices are pretty low right now though.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

Cool thanks for the insight. I turn 40 in October and this is what momma is going to get me.

I am going to put it on my deck. It is on a walk out it wont move much. Any concern with it being close to the house on a raised composite deck?

Mine sits about a foot away from the wall on my porch. Never had an issue. If you have vinyl siding it might not be a bad idea to leave a couple feet off air space but I think you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. I keep a 10# for extinguisher next to the grill just for kicks and giggles.

Participant

I also have the ys640. I agree with the grill grates. Also id get the diffuser plate with the door. Makes cleaning alot easier plus easier to use with the grill grates. I also got the half shelf, i actually use it alot. I didnt get the comp cart either, i have had to move it around and it is heavy but not horrible. I think its 315lbs. I actually am thinking of getting a stick burner. Whatever you get i will be over to help break it in lol.

Participant

Where did you guys buy a yoder at? I’ve been wanted a Wichita and a buddy wants the ys. Didn’t think there was dealer in our state

Participant

Quote by: dart383

Where did you guys buy a yoder at? I’ve been wanted a Wichita and a buddy wants the ys. Didn’t think there was dealer in our state

Ya going to have to order online. No one local that I can find

Participant

Unfortunately you have to order it. Unless you wanna road trip to kansas. I forget what shipping was, something like 150 sounds about right. They drop it offwith a tractor trailer with a lift gate so you have to be home. I didnt want to wait for a trailer with a lift gate so i unloaded mine with a skidloader off the semi.

Participant

I forgot to mention i got it from all things bbq. Great people to do business with. Plus awesome selection of rubs and sauces if your into that.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

A Yoder is a nice grill. I have had a Green Mountain for 3 years now and love it. I do wish it got a little hotter, but I can still make a better steak than any restaurant. Not to mention it smokes AWESOME! And its half the price of a Yoder with a cover and blanket.

Participant

My folks love the food off my yoder but arent interested in the price. I know of a place pretty close that sells green mountain smokers. How long have you had yours? I take it you would recommend it? What are their weak points?

Participant

Sorry, i see you had it 3 yrs.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.