Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ive owned alot of grills and smokers over the years. Something you may consider is a pellet grill but you have to worry about electricity and the price point. You cant beat food off the charoal grill.

JefroJefro
    Participant

I’ve had a Weber spirit gas grill for about 10 years. Leave it on the deck, covered and have only had to replace the “flavor bars”.

How are all of these grills rusting out? Are they covered and still rusting?

Participant

I have a Weber Genesis that is made of stainless steel and has been stored outside, but with a Weber cover on it for about 10 years and it practically looks as good as the day I bought it. If you are buying a new $225 grill every 2 years or so then it might be worth paying the extra to get a good one that will last many times that.

Participant

imo do not get a grill with a side burner.. they drain away from the grill and dont work that well in heating water for say sweet corn.. dont do it…

IaCraigIaCraig
    Participant

Quote by: Jefro

I’ve had a Weber spirit gas grill for about 10 years. Leave it on the deck, covered and have only had to replace the “flavor bars”.

How are all of these grills rusting out? Are they covered and still rusting?

Speaking from my personal experience they rust from the inside out…… I had a sears kenmore for about 6 years . (basically a charbroil). It was always covered but the main grates just deteriorated away and replacements were spendy. Also the flavor bars were replaced several times and most recently the burners rusted out. Also the igniter didn’t work more often than it did. I was going to resurrect it until my wife bought me the Weber for fathers day. Glad she did, new grates, burners, ignitor and flavor bars for the Kenmore were about the same $ as the grill was new…………… plus when I did throw it out I got a little rough with it and learned that other parts were rusted too so my resurrection would have probably only lasted 1 or 2 years.

Participant

Totally off topic… but for the charcoal grillers, wait till end of the season to stock up on charcoal briquettes. All the big box stores have sales to clean out inventory.

Participant

You may want to consider a flat top griddle. I bought a Blackstone 36′ flattop outdoor griddle ($275) 2 months ago and have only used my gas grill 2-3 since purchasing it. Burgers, chicken, eggs, bacon, chicken fried rice, saut veggies the list goes on and on….. Its absolutely great!

Participant

I am switching to a pellet I just haven’t decided which one yet. Green mountain is on the list cause of
    Wifi but I am thinking I want to buy once and have something that can get hotter. I am thinking Rec Ted or yoder.

Participant

Quote by: walleye+jim

imo do not get a grill with a side burner.. they drain away from the grill and dont work that well in heating water for say sweet corn.. dont do it…

I don’t know if I could disagree with you more.

Yes, they’re usually not high BTU burners, so boiling a big pot of water for sweet corn doesn’t work well (and a big pot of water would probably be over the weight limit anyway), but I use mine for heating up a pot of beans, frying bacon for cheeseburgers, sauteing onions for brats…. I’ve got a Kenmore gas that’s about 10 years old and in pretty rough shape, but still working. Summer time, I’ll cook the entire meal on it with the side burner and warming rack.

The side burner is pretty high on the ‘want’ list for my replacement grill.

Participant

I have a Weber Genesis for about 6 years still looks great. Sits outside all but the winter months. I use wood chips every time I grill with it to add flavor. Quick, easy and great smoke flavor. I would never go back to a charcoal grill. There is nothing you can do with a charcoal grill you cannot do with gas for cooking. I did a turkey last Thankgiving on for 8 hours with wood chips it turned out picture perfect and tasted better.

Participant

I have been very happy with my Broilmaster grill. The smoker shutter feature is great for indirect grilling. They are ugly and expensive but should last a long time.

Participant

Depending on what you want to spend. Look into a holland. Old man has had one for 15 years not one problem. Other neighbors same way. I love mine. Almost impossible to burn anything. Everything comes out juicy. But takes a but longer to cook food. Steak and burgers about 30 minutes. Chicken about 45-hr..but doesn’t burn or dry out. And no foil needed. Just a doffernt style grill. Depending on model can get pricy. Bakersgas had the best deal couple years ago when I bought mine.

Participant

Having built and fixed things for near 50 years I look past the name to the nuts and bolts of things. Cast aluminum body, good coating on metal parts and quality brand for components including cast iron not sheetmetal burner. With that in consideration, for the price I went with the Weber. My neighbor is a chef, and definitely recommends cast iron grates for searing meat.

frmboybuckfrmboybuck
    Participant

Quote by: maxx

I am switching to a pellet I just haven’t decided which one yet. Green mountain is on the list cause of
    Wifi but I am thinking I want to buy once and have something that can get hotter. I am thinking Rec Ted or yoder.

I had the same problem as the OP with gas grills. They don’t last. 4 years ago, I dropped the money on a Yoder 640 and couldn’t be happier. Awesome machine. Don’t let the hype of RecTec fool you. They are cheaply made Chinese grills compared to the American made stuff. Mak, Yoder, Blazin… All make solid grills

Participant

Quote by: frmboybuck

Quote by: maxx

I had the same problem as the OP with gas grills. They don’t last. 4 years ago, I dropped the money on a Yoder 640 and couldn’t be happier. Awesome machine. Don’t let the hype of RecTec fool you. They are cheaply made Chinese grills compared to the American made stuff. Mak, Yoder, Blazin… All make solid grills

That is the way I am leaning but honestly I haven’t heard that much bad about the rec tech. I like that the yoder can get up to 600F.

Have you tried pizza on it?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.