Home Forums Fishing Panfishing best crappie lake

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Specifically in the Storm Lake/Cherokee area. Heading back home for a week to fish and wondering what are the best lakes/ponds in the area for crappies? I’ll be fishing out of a 16 ft. flatbottom, so not sure if I’d want to hit the IGL, especially if there was much wind. I never really got into crappies while I lived around there, so I never paid much attention.

Participant

Quote by: DWC

Specifically in the Storm Lake/Cherokee area. Heading back home for a week to fish and wondering what are the best lakes/ponds in the area for crappies? I’ll be fishing out of a 16 ft. flatbottom, so not sure if I’d want to hit the IGL, especially if there was much wind. I never really got into crappies while I lived around there, so I never paid much attention.

for Big Spirit Lake I would go to templer and go to the side with all the private docks and fish near those, or go to buffalo run, or the grade, and maybe into anglers. But for west i would just go into the cannals you might not even need a boat for most of the places.

Participant

The places that were mentioned above are good spots, but I would be ware of fishing near private docks unless you secure permission. The Canals are the same way. The land surrounding the canals have expensive private homes on them and access to the canals from shore is limited, if not impossible without permission.
    I would try either the Grade, which is basically a levee with a road across is that is public, or Templar Lagoon which has a new public fishing pier on it.

Participant

Quote by: Viking_hunter

The places that were mentioned above are good spots, but I would be ware of fishing near private docks unless you secure permission. The Canals are the same way. The land surrounding the canals have expensive private homes on them and access to the canals from shore is limited, if not impossible without permission.
    I would try either the Grade, which is basically a levee with a road across is that is public, or Templar Lagoon which has a new public fishing pier on it.

we fish buy them all the time the people there as long as you are not doing stupid things are fine with you fishing there docks we have talked to all of them at one point or another and they like to see other people catch fish. So you should be fine fishing by them you dont need to get right next to them just close enough so you can cast close to them.

Participant

You might want to check out the Mill Creek or Dog Creek Lakes? It might be worth a look into.

Blessings,

Ben

here

and

here

Participant

Mill creek used to be good but they killed it off a couple years ago and it just hasnt quite come all the way back yet. Dont know much about Dog Creek, but Lake Pahoja over by Larchwood i’ve heard is good for crappies. 5 Island in Emmetsburg is great for crappies. Ingham and High used to be good too and Ive heard thats making a comeback too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.