Home Forums Hunting Firearms Best concealed carry handgun for woman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking for a great handgun my wife can easily carry in coat pocket or purse. She owns a 9mm Springfield but it’s too bulky. I like the sig .380. Thoughts?

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I think unless she can handle and rack a semi auto a revolver is a good choice for a lady. My wife was real comfortable with a new S&W model 60-15 pro series 5 shot 357 but it and others were stolen. It has a 3″ barrel and real streamlined looking in sstainless. At the time it was loaded with .38 Spl +P. I’ve had a replacement ordered for right at a year now. The original was located in an undercover raid in Des Moines and the person that had it, not the original thief was charged with possession of a firearm as a felon, drug charges and possession of a lot of stolen things. Their also may be federal charges filed so it may be a while before we get it back and the dealer is going to keep the ordered one still coming for his inventory. The ergo grips make it to large for her hand but the wooden ones fit perfectly.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Thanks. I will look into that one

Participant

I bought the .380 Sig for my wife and carry it myself. Love the size, but my accuracy with it is poor. Guess it doesn’t matter that much, as any shots would be point blank. Great carry for your wife.

Participant

I have a kahr cw380 that was a great deal, and I love it. Carry it in my pocket nearly everywhere that it’s legal for me to carry since I bought it a few weeks back. It’s fairly accurate for what it is and the trigger is great. I have no problem hitting a dinner plate at 7-10 yards trying to shoot fairly quickly, and I’m certain that it’s more accuarte than I am. Recoil isn’t much but racking the slide is a bit tough. Don’t have too many rounds through it yet, so maybe that will loosen it up.

Participant

Wife, 71 yo, has Ruger LCP .380. She can rack it ok.

Participant

Quote by: popeandbooner

Quote by: sensquid

I bought the .380 Sig for my wife and carry it myself. Love the size, but my accuracy with it is poor. Guess it doesn’t matter that much, as any shots would be point blank. Great carry for your wife.

Seems pretty irresponsible/reckless to be carrying a gun for protection and not being able to put the shot on target.

Cheap shot. Enough.

Participant

I would recommend the Lady Smith which is the Smith & Wesson Model 642LS in .38 special. No exposed hammer to catch on anything when being drawn and no need to worry about racking a slide or fiddling with a safety.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764960_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Participant

That is like asking what is the best beer or pickup truck

I personally think that is a decision she should ultimately be making for herself. Guns are like shoes in that no one can tell someone what works for them. I understand narrowing it down and helping someone to make a choice but unless she is comfy with it and can shoot it accurately and reliably then it will be more of a burden than a good choice. You wouldn’t buy a car without test driving it, why do people buy guns without trying them?

While carrying in a purse is better than nothing, I am not a fan of it for multiple reasons. Self defense happens quick and most likely there wont be time to access the gun in time let alone thet the purse is usually a leverage point and the first thing that is pulled on during an attack, I call it rummaging for your life.

A revolver can be simpler to operate but the triggers are usually pretty heavy and they can be a handful even in .38

Lots of people suggest the .380 for women like it is a better choice because it is smaller. I think it is small of round for self defense and the recoil is worse than the 9mm. The little guns also tend to flex in your hand while shooting and aren’t conducive to accuracy. Under extreme stress accuracy decreases by at least 50%. If someone is hitting marginally on the range under controlled conditions then they probably wont do well under attack. I think about the only .380 I marginally like is the Bersa due to it’s weight.

My wife shoots the heck outa the Glock 19 in 9mm and is comfy carrying it on here hip. I would suggest she look at and try several single stack guns in 9mm.

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

Quote by: kenhump

Wife, 71 yo, has Ruger LCP .380. She can rack it ok.

I agree…perfect size, nice grips, carries and handles well, easy to shoot and put on target

Participant

Quote by: Shonky

I have a kahr cw380 that was a great deal, and I love it. Carry it in my pocket nearly everywhere that it’s legal for me to carry since I bought it a few weeks back. It’s fairly accurate for what it is and the trigger is great. I have no problem hitting a dinner plate at 7-10 yards trying to shoot fairly quickly, and I’m certain that it’s more accuarte than I am. Recoil isn’t much but racking the slide is a bit tough. Don’t have too many rounds through it yet, so maybe that will loosen it up.

Try this. With gun in right hand. barrel pointed down, grip slide with left thumb and finger and arm nearly straight down. Rather than try to pull slide back push down with right hand. Easier to demonstrate than discribe. Just work with it, unloaded of course, and look for a comfortable motion that works for you.

Participant
    Participant

Thank you all for the responses. I’m learning from the feedback. I’m not familiar with Kahr. What’s the general consensus on quality?

Participant

If you go with a .380, do not let anyone talk you into +P ammo. Most .380 manufactuers state it will void warranty.

Participant

A Kahr cm9 is my edc. I think their guns are great but you could also say I’m biased because it’s what I own. Never had any problems with it and have shot roughly 700 rounds. I’ve also shot an mk9 and a p45. Liked them both a lot. I would say quality is pretty good. Better than say an lc9. All Kahr pistols are rated to +p according to their website.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.