Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Beaver infestation

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can anyone tell me are beavers nocturnal? They have built 2 dams on our property and 1 in the Creek and are destroying most of the trees. Need to take care of this but cant use traps cause of the dogs. And live traps are to expensive, i have yet to see one but the evidence is there. They have been very busy this week and need to stop them soon.

Participant

They can be nocturnal. Your best bet is to find where they are most active and stake it out. Just sit during early morning or dusk and look for them. The most likely move all day long since they in fact seem to be “busy beavers” 😆 I would just stake them out.

Participant

Ive had this same problem. At night, go destroy some of their dam and get quite a bit of water flowing over it. They can sense it or something, and wait for them to come repair it. It really works, I have shot beavers this way. If you shoot the big momma they will all leave.

Participant

Quote by: APB

Ive had this same problem. At night, go destroy some of their dam and get quite a bit of water flowing over it. They can sense it or something, and wait for them to come repair it. It really works, I have shot beavers this way. If you shoot the big momma they will all leave.

I thought I read this in the regs so I wanted to pass this along. To prevent anyone from getting in trouble.

Disturbing Dens
    You cannot molest or disturb, in any manner, any
    den, lodge or house of a furbearing animal or beaver
    dam except by written permission of an officer appointed
    by the director of the DNR.

Participant

Back in high school I worked at a grocery store and an old guy came in and bought about 20 bottles Tabasco Sauce. I couldn’t help but ask what he was doing with all of it. He said someone told him that if you dump it in the water near their lodge they will leave.

I told him he should return it and get a refund and I would just shoot them for him. He was thrilled. A buddy and I went out that weekend right before dark and shot a couple with our 12 gauges and 4 shot. We just hid in the grass along the stream and waited. Works really good on a full moon.

We also got a new peice of property to deer hunt out of the deal.

Participant

Quote by: jardan

Quote by: APB

I thought I read this in the regs so I wanted to pass this along. To prevent anyone from getting in trouble.

Disturbing Dens
    You cannot molest or disturb, in any manner, any
    den, lodge or house of a furbearing animal or beaver
    dam except by written permission of an officer appointed
    by the director of the DNR.

I agree if you were trapping you couldnt disturb their den. When they are destroying my property, cutting down trees and flooding the creek, I do whatever it takes to kill them.

Participant

well its been a few years but we had the same problem on a piece of our property and my dad was trying to get rid of them. he was in a bar near the farm and ran into this old guy who happened to be a demolitions expert back in WWII my dad said is was the funniest stuff in the world. this old boy said with this stuff you get 2 reactions it goes KABOOM!!! or it goes pop… about every other it went KABOOM! needless to say there were no more beavers… not sure on the legality of it but this old boy had lots of fun took him back to his glory days… 😆

Participant

Quote by: wendlwacker

well its been a few years but we had the same problem on a piece of our property and my dad was trying to get rid of them. he was in a bar near the farm and ran into this old guy who happened to be a demolitions expert back in WWII my dad said is was the funniest stuff in the world. this old boy said with this stuff you get 2 reactions it goes KABOOM!!! or it goes pop… about every other it went KABOOM! needless to say there were no more beavers… not sure on the legality of it but this old boy had lots of fun took him back to his glory days… 😆

Maybe it was this guy LOL

Participant

ha! might have been 😆 😆

Participant

Quote by: stebrichs

Can anyone tell me are beavers nocturnal? They have built 2 dams on our property and 1 in the Creek and are destroying most of the trees. Need to take care of this but cant use traps cause of the dogs. And live traps are to expensive, i have yet to see one but the evidence is there. They have been very busy this week and need to stop them soon.

Where abouts are you?
    I could help you out, if you are close enough?

Participant

Most of the time when you trap beavers it is in the water. It would be unlikely for a dog to get in these sets. Or if that worried keep them tied up for 3-4 days.

Participant

Where have all the trappers gone? My duck blind was built in a stand of 3-4 inch trees along a local lake, the damn beavers took down all of the trees, upward of 20 plus and did a job on my blind over the course of a week.

Participant

I have a couple beaver live traps you could borrow if you were in NW Iowa. I don’t get alot of call to use them in my Wildlife Control business.

Participant

It seems to me that beaver is always more interested in you when you’re unavailable. If you’re married, you should just go sit where the beaver hangs out, drink a lot of beer, and it’ll jump in your lap.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.