Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Bear hunting

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I am looking at doing a bear hunt is the 2015 season. I’d like to go to Minnesota and go with a guide. Any of you guys been up there and hunted with a guide.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have not hunted in Minnesota, but several times in Ontario. My daughter and I put in this year and did not draw, so unless you are willing to hunt the No Quota area in Minnesota you will have to draw a tag. If you are going to go in 2015 (and I assume you already thought of this) Make sure you apply next year OR buy a preference point so you are more likely to draw.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes i have hunted bear in minnesota. when i use to live there i recomened getting a guide buy the time you buy bait and travel up to ur area where ur going to hunt and you have to drive up there before the season starts to set ur bait up and keep it fresh so the bears keep returning to your bait,you could just get a guide itll cost about the same . i camped at the temprencce river camp ground on lake superior north of silver bay MN. but we just went up there and tried bait are selves dindt work out the greatest. so i recomened getting a guide. we just happened to run in to a very nice gentelman on are way home and started talking to him about hunting and long story short we each gave him a 100 bucks and he let us hunt on his property that he was baiting and i shot a 350 lb boar that night and my buddy shot a 300lb boar the next morning . It turned out great in the end but we just got lucky meeting that gentalman cuz we were on are way home when we met him . they have a lot of color phase bears up there in the north east part of mn .

Participant
    Up
    Down

One thing to check out (maybe you already have) is the web site for the minnesota bear guide association. This will at least give you a connection to some guides, info, and areas to hunt. I called several on the site and they were all helpful. I would echo the advice that you already received regarding a “guide” vs. a DIY hunt. If this is going to be a one time or a couple hunts…a guide is the way to go. Once you try it and you decide you are going to do this every year, then you can look at the DIY route. The best advice I have is to focus on finding a guide service that will work hard for you, check the references of successful and unsuccessful hunters. The guide can’t guarantee you anything other than hard work, and an honest effort to get you onto a bear.

Also, be aware that the average size (I read somewhere) of a bear harvested in MN. is typically in the 150# range. Enjoy your hunt, it is a lot of fun!

Participant
    Up
    Down

been in Alberta times 3 (find iowa sportsman stories by me in archives). and would like to go every year if I could find time and space for all the bear rugs. 3 of 5 in Pope and Young. If no experience you can shoot the first that you think is big enough, then wait for one that really tops out if you want. Cost might be a little more, but I think it would be hard to beat the experience. doc

Participant
    Up
    Down

i have hunted mn twice,i hunted the non quota area.id def get a guide that way tthe baiting is done for ya.never did get a bear but had a blast up there

Participant
    Up
    Down

😀 Avg size of bears is #150? You might want to jump that up 50#’s. out of the four bears we have shot & the ones my buddy shoots every year 200+ is more like the avg.
    One shot north of us last year by a lucky lady – 612 lbs !!
    We hunt the no Quota zone between the twin cities & Duluth. Success rate is lower under 30%. in that part of the state. I have been up there 3 years in a row & am going back this year. I have seen bear every year. We have over a grand tied up in it each year, paying the guide to bait , line up spots, put up stands, etc… Bear tag, gas money , food & Beer.
    If I had a little more $$ I would just get a guide in southern Ontario. High success rates & excellent fishing.

Participant
    Up
    Down

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=10651&PollID=58&btnView=1

http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/Anov01issue/minnbearstateforest.htm‎
    To my delight I see hand size paw tracks in the mashed down donuts. … The average bear harvested in Minnesota is around 130 pounds or so and that is what I …

Congratulations on your groups success. Those are great bear for Minnesota. As I stated before, I was not sure, but had read somewhere (see above) that the average bear harvested in MN. was around 150# According to some sources it is higher and some lower.

I do know that black bear are some of the more difficult animals to judge as far as size is concerned. Regardless, I thought I’d share my sources. I’m sure you can find articles that state otherwise, and of course some outfitters will claim a much higher average. Sometimes the average size depends on a lot of things; quality of food that year, spring vs. fall hunt, experience level of the hunter (a guy who has a rug on the wall is more selective at times than someone who is after their first bear) and so on.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Oh, and if your group is looking for a couple more hunters…my daughter and I are interested! Sounds like you guys have a great thing going!

Participant
    Up
    Down

northshoreoutdoors.com I have hunted with Kelly for 2 years and had a great time and killed my first bear last year. He offers different hunts from fully guided to self guided where he has the spots and supplies the baits and its a lot easier than trying to get bait sites started and trying to keep them going. Check him out and tell him Mace sent ya!!! One of his guides runs Trailside Cabins in Grand Marais and offers great deals to Kellys hunters!! I didn’t draw this year but hopefully will be back up there next year. Its a beautiful area with a lot of bears!! I believe there were 36 bears taken out of his camp last year!!

Participant
    Up
    Down

I too have read that the average is between 125-150. The year I hunted up there, there were many that were field dressed in the 90-100# range. Like you said there’s lots of variables, but I sure as heck hope that people are able to identify a small 130# bear compared to a 200+. Lot of guys were talking about smoking in their stand, getting down and taking craps in the woods, etc so probably only seeing younger bears would be my guess. They’re legal though, to each their own.

My buddy and I have 3 pts a piece and I think we may give it a shot next fall potentially. I can’t remember name of outfitter he wants to go with, but if you’d be interested in combining groups to cheapen it up PM me and if you draw we can make it happen. Good luck.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have hunted around Moose Lake between Minneapolis and Deluth back in 2001 and a couple of other years. Used a guide ,Keith Strand Outfitters, who had a small house in Sturgon Lake and hunted some in the quota and some in the non quota areas around there. I killed 2 bears in 2 years and never saw a bear on the 3rd year when I wanted to shoot one with one of my stickbows. Cubs are illegal but some of the guys shot small bears that weren’t much over 120 or 30 pounds. My first was a large female that was a little less than 300 pounds live weight. Shot it with my Knight muzzle loader with 120 grains of Pyrodex and a 385 grain Great Plains lead bullet at about 14 yards and dropped it right on the bait pile. The guide boys had told us not to field dress a bear near the bait, so I put a rope around the head and started trying to drag her away back toward the road. 45 minuted later I had made it about 100 FEET, when the guide showed back up to pick me up. We put another rope on and both started dragging, but you would have to see the thick brush and deadfalls and marshy mud areas to understand. Jerrard, the guide, is a big Norweigian who works construction who looks like he could drag a house. After about another 150 feet or so he said “Ok far enough” but even after field dressing it was still a bit of a struggle to get back to the road which was a little less than a half mile. A bear is about the worst thing to handle except for maybe a dead 300 pound hog, and we had a difficult time getting it loaded and tied down on the back of the 4 wheeler, and by the time we got back to camp it was about 11:30 at night. There were several bears brought in as large and a couple bigger, but many were also much smaller. There was a guy who brought a bear in and asked to keep in the refer truck over night. That bear pretty much filled up the back of a full sized Chevy pickup and the guides all said it was the biggest one that they had ever seen. The next morning at the feed store it weighed 485 pounds field dressed. It might have been a new state record except for one thing. The young guy who shot it had never hunted bears before and since the bear never actuall came onto the bait and would only stick his head through the hazzel brush and grab a doughnut, so the guy shot it in the head with a 300WM. The shot distroyed the skull which is what is measured for the books. There are lots of stories from those bear camps but that is for another time. 😆

Participant
    Up
    Down

Here is a good link to MN DNR about the bear population.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/bear/index.html

My sister lives just north of Durango CO. and she & BIL are having a problem keeping them out of their apricot tree. Said that many of the bears are really underweight this year.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Duckaholic, my brother Tim is a guide at Baudette. His phone is 218-434-0963. If you can’t reach him, give me a call at 712-792-6977 or text at 712-830-0273 and I will forward your contact information.

. Tim’s success ratio is twice the state average and every bear I’ve seen his hunters take are above average size. I have two 7-footers but those are huge Minnesota bears. Actually huge bears anywhere. I posted my last one, search “Deja Vu Bear”. Both taken from the same stand 7 years apart.

The bears up there have “gold” muzzles, a really striking bear. The last one I took had a black muzzle, pretty rare up there. I have only seen one color phase in 12 years hunting up there.

The zones up there are quota and that can be a problem for planning a future trip. PETA and other animal rights people flood the application process and buy up tags, leaving fewer “actual hunters” wth tags. I know, it stinks. However, the success ratio in that area has not gone down. This translates into fewer hunters taking the same number of bears. In actual terms, the success ratio has gone up! Jokes on them. The average size has gone up as well.

The problem is, you will need to apply for preference points in 2014 to give you a good chance to get a tag in 2015. You can designate your application as one for preference points and it costs you$3.50. I got a tag 6 out of the first 7 years I hunted up there, but now its every other year so this is the process I would recommend if you decide to hunt in a quota area.

Add to the bear hunt fall walleye fishing on Lake of the Woods/Rainy river and some great grouse hunting and you have a great trip.

I hope this helps you.a

Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: bcon13

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=10651&PollID=58&btnView=1

http://www.strictlybowhunting.com/Anov01issue/minnbearstateforest.htm�
    To my delight I see hand size paw tracks in the mashed down donuts. … The average bear harvested in Minnesota is around 130 pounds or so and that is what I …

Congratulations on your groups success. Those are great bear for Minnesota. As I stated before, I was not sure, but had read somewhere (see above) that the average bear harvested in MN. was around 150# According to some sources it is higher and some lower.

I do know that black bear are some of the more difficult animals to judge as far as size is concerned. Regardless, I thought I’d share my sources. I’m sure you can find articles that state otherwise, and of course some outfitters will claim a much higher average. Sometimes the average size depends on a lot of things; quality of food that year, spring vs. fall hunt, experience level of the hunter (a guy who has a rug on the wall is more selective at times than someone who is after their first bear) and so on.

bcon13, is saw the website above for the Carroll Herald. You from Carroll or the area? I am.

Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

Here is a good link to MN DNR about the bear population.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/bear/index.html

My sister lives just north of Durango CO. and she & BIL are having a problem keeping them out of their apricot tree. Said that many of the bears are really underweight this year.

I used to live in Durango and still have friends there and Pagosa Springs, one of the most beautiful areas in the country. A lot of people have been commenting on the amount of bears they have been seeing this year. The have had devastating fires around there for the past few years and I assume this would have something to do with it. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I went bear hunting in northern Minnesota a couple years back and shot a chocolate bear around upper red lake with a guide.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.