Home Forums Miscellaneous Food Plot/Habitat Management Bare root seedlings

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just ordered 250 bare root trees and shrubs from the Iowa State Nursery to plant on the ranch.

Can I use a Stihl gas powered auger that we use in our landscaping business with a 4” drill bit or should I use a dibble (I would need to purchase one) or maybe could use a spade? I’ve planted bare root fruit trees before with great success but never seedlings. Please help, thanks!

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I did the state nursery 250 tree project once and used a spade to start then borrowed a tree dibble from the county conservation later on. The dibble was much easier to work with. By the way check your local County Conservation board as mine loaned their’s out regularly. Watch a Utube to see how its done if you have any doubts. I suppose the drill would work well as long as you don’t get the holes to deep and get the plants tamped down good after placing them in the ground. You’ve got a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

Thanks Oldbear! I ordered 200 red twig dogwoods to put a screen on the west side of my property between myself and my neighbor. Then I got the itch and ordered 25 or 50 red oaks to plant in my timber.

I watched some videos on the dibble but I’m thinking my drill might go faster (but faster isn’t always better). Now I’m thinking about having my timber burned this spring before I plant….so many choices.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.