Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Baiting

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This has been a pretty good topic with many well thought-out replies. I just wanted to contribute one final thing to this topic. At p. 22 of the 2015-16 regulations handbook it states that “bait does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities.” I looked up the term “agricultural activities” and this can be generally agreed to mean the following (obtained from http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=392-164-125):

Agricultural activity—Definition.

As used in this chapter, the term “agricultural activity” means any of the following:
    (1) Any activity directly related to the production or processing of crops, dairy products, poultry, or livestock for initial commercial sale or as a principal means of personal subsistence.
    (2) Any activity directly related to the cultivation or harvesting of trees.
    (3) Any activity directly related to fish farms.

If a crop is planted solely to attract deer and is not processed or harvested for commercial sale or personal consumption then I do not see how it can be labeled as an “agricultural activity.” It is clearly baiting in another form that is available exclusively to landowners. As has been mentioned, I think this basically amounts to allowing people with means and wealth to bait wildlife.

I originally was of the mindset that in order to really be a successful deer hunter I need to start pinching pennies and save up to buy my own land so that I can conduct “agricultural activities” like other landowners and increase the odds of attracting and maintaining good quality deer on my property. Then after giving it additional thought I started thinking that this isn’t right. The law is supposed to apply equally to everyone instead of giving an advantage to those with more wealth. So it seems to me the proper approach is to either ban all forms of baiting or let everyone do it. I would venture a guess that the ability to plant food plots on private hunting land is another factor that drives up the cost of hunting land/leases, thereby making it even more inaccessible to the average Joe.

Participant

I don’t believe that baiting should be legal due to the biological effects it can have, mainly an enhanced risk of disease spread. I also personally don’t think it’s sporting. I’m kind of surprised at the number of people whining that they are at a disadvantage because they can’t plant food plots for one reason or another so they claim food plots are baiting. I would have to guess that most hunters don’t either have the land or resources to do so, myself included. This doesn’t mean that I consider them a form of bait. Any decent food plot is large enough that there can be multiple entries/exits, and a food plot is there 24/7 for months on end- it doesn’t loudly disperse food at a set time every day. I don’t really think sportsmen should be advocating for using bait, I’m sure the ones who really want to already do in one form or another.

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

This has been a pretty good topic with many well thought-out replies. I just wanted to contribute one final thing to this topic. At p. 22 of the 2015-16 regulations handbook it states that “bait does not include food placed during normal agricultural activities.” I looked up the term “agricultural activities” and this can be generally agreed to mean the following (obtained from http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=392-164-125):

Agricultural activity�Definition.

As used in this chapter, the term “agricultural activity” means any of the following:
    (1) Any activity directly related to the production or processing of crops, dairy products, poultry, or livestock for initial commercial sale or as a principal means of personal subsistence.
    (2) Any activity directly related to the cultivation or harvesting of trees.
    (3) Any activity directly related to fish farms.

If a crop is planted solely to attract deer and is not processed or harvested for commercial sale or personal consumption then I do not see how it can be labeled as an “agricultural activity.” It is clearly baiting in another form that is available exclusively to landowners. As has been mentioned, I think this basically amounts to allowing people with means and wealth to bait wildlife.

I originally was of the mindset that in order to really be a successful deer hunter I need to start pinching pennies and save up to buy my own land so that I can conduct “agricultural activities” like other landowners and increase the odds of attracting and maintaining good quality deer on my property. Then after giving it additional thought I started thinking that this isn’t right. The law is supposed to apply equally to everyone instead of giving an advantage to those with more wealth. So it seems to me the proper approach is to either ban all forms of baiting or let everyone do it. I would venture a guess that the ability to plant food plots on private hunting land is another factor that drives up the cost of hunting land/leases, thereby making it even more inaccessible to the average Joe.

Much truth in this statement. In Germany the large land holders fire or lease the hunt rights to a jaeger, huntmaster. Then you go thru several months to a year studying for your hunting certification. Then you get with a jaeger. A roe buck, often picked out by the jaeger, will probably set you back about $5000. Spent 7+ years over there and couldn’the afford the shoot a chipmunk.

Participant

Quote by: nmac54

I don’t believe that baiting should be legal due to the biological effects it can have, mainly an enhanced risk of disease spread. I also personally don’t think it’s sporting. I’m kind of surprised at the number of people whining that they are at a disadvantage because they can’t plant food plots for one reason or another so they claim food plots are baiting. I would have to guess that most hunters don’t either have the land or resources to do so, myself included. This doesn’t mean that I consider them a form of bait. Any decent food plot is large enough that there can be multiple entries/exits, and a food plot is there 24/7 for months on end- it doesn’t loudly disperse food at a set time every day. I don’t really think sportsmen should be advocating for using bait, I’m sure the ones who really want to already do in one form or another.

Thank you. Food plots also benefits all.wildlife as well. Plus its not overly expensive if you are willing to put in the work. Obviously you need the land to do so. I been fortunate my uncle has a small piece and my farmer friend lets me plant plots on his land. Food plots isn’t baiting. Saying food plots is the same as a pile of corn is like saying you shouldnt sit in a oak woods when the acorns are falling. Some one planted those big oak trees 30 years ago. I will say again DNR also plants food plots on public land. Maybe not on all of the public land but they do plant them.

Participant

tim ballard why do you put so much space between a quote and your response?

It takes up a lot of space.

Also just because you believe it doesn’t make it true. Food plots for deer are just like baiting to me. It’s not year round.

Thanks

riverriver
    Participant

There is a lot of beefing going on about an animal that is relatively easy to kill in Iowa. I am honestly not knocking you all “but”… I hunt acorns and other browse at certain times. The big ones know where the food is, so do I. Teach yourselves, spend time in the woods. I’ve shot a LOT of deer doing it the old fashioned way. When someone want’s to see my trophy room I’m happy to show them my freezer.

There’s more than one way to skin a ‘coon.
    River

riverriver
    Participant

Quote by: SadieMae

tim ballard why do you put so much space between a quote and your response?

It takes up a lot of space.

Also just because you believe it doesn’t make it true. Food plots for deer are just like baiting to me. It’s not year round.

Thanks

I’ve always wondered that too.
    River

Participant

Quote by: river

There is a lot of beefing going on about an animal that is relatively easy to kill in Iowa. I am honestly not knocking you all “but”… I hunt acorns and other browse at certain times. The big ones know where the food is, so do I. Teach yourselves, spend time in the woods. I’ve shot a LOT of deer doing it the old fashioned way. When someone want’s to see my trophy room I’m happy to show them my freezer.

River

Exactly!!

Well said, that’s “hunting”.
    You feel a lot more pride when it’s done this way. That’s how I deer hunt too, no
    plots just travel corridors, brows and very little crop fields.
    People need to get back to that.

Participant

Quote by: MuskieMan

Quote by: river

River

Exactly!!

Well said, that’s “hunting”.
    You feel a lot more pride when it’s done this way. That’s how I deer hunt too, no
    plots just travel corridors, brows and very little crop fields.
    People need to get back to that.

I would tend to agree. In a perfect season, I will wait until the last day if I can so I can ge as much time in the stand as possible. Unfortunately, if EVERY hunter did that, I’m pretty sure the public land I hunt would get pretty crowded, so those that get in and out quick are a welcome bunch. THAT said, sometimes when work is calling or family for that matter, I don’t need to feel any pride from taking a deer. I know how to hunt and I put in my time. If I want to take a shortcut if it were legal, I MAY take advantage of it. I don’t think it makesone hunter better or worse than another. Same argument as gun vs. bow….bow vs. crossbow…. traditional vs. compound. It really is just a different tool. A different tactic. It’s ALL hunting. We are all hunters. My opinion, of course.

Blocked

Food plots = baiting. One way or another. Just accept it…it is a form of baiting! Make it all legal because there is no feasible way to make it all clearly illegal. I go bakc to my apple tree argument adjacent public ground, or legitimately leaving unharvestable crops next to public ground, or placing salt blocks in pasture for cattle suspiciously close to public ground. All ag practices and all forms of baiting. If you do not understand that “food plots”” BAIT” deer to your area you need a reality check! Plain and simple is all food plots do is separate the haves from the have nots!! And anybody that disagrees is a have just trying to show there net worth or trying to suppress the hunter with a lesser financial status!

Participant

Twedenny, if you want to hunt a food plot that bad then hunt one that the DNR or a conservation board plants. They wouldn’t do it if there was no benifit to the wildlife. Just because some people don’t have a means to plant one doesn’t mean that they are the same as a pile of corn. As river said how do you distinguish between you planting apple trees and a wild grove of oak trees? Should it be illegal for a guy to hunt over an unpicked corn or bean field? How about an alfalfa field? To say food plots should be banished and called bait would open a whole different can of worms. Before you accuse, I do not have food plots and I own no ground. To say that anyone who disagrees with your opinion is a rich guy trying to suppress others is preposterous. Life aint fair. Just because I don’t believe that food plots are baiting doesn’t mean I’m rich. Hell I just graduated college with a degree in wildlife so I’m in debt up to my eyeballs.

Participant

Quote by: twdenney

Food plots = baiting. One way or another. Just accept it…it is a form of baiting! Make it all legal because there is no feasible way to make it all clearly illegal. I go bakc to my apple tree argument adjacent public ground, or legitimately leaving unharvestable crops next to public ground, or placing salt blocks in pasture for cattle suspiciously close to public ground. All ag practices and all forms of baiting. If you do not understand that “food plots”” BAIT” deer to your area you need a reality check! Plain and simple is all food plots do is separate the haves from the have nots!! And anybody that disagrees is a have just trying to show there net worth or trying to suppress the hunter with a lesser financial status!

With your logic any bean or corn field is also baiting! Yes it gets harvested but we all know the combines doesn’t get all of the crop. Which is why the deer head to corn when it gets cold.

Blocked

Have you ever seen a commercial turnip farm in Iowa? or how about a farmer harvesting his tiny 1-2 acre plots of brassicas in the timber? I farm and have “FOOD PLOTS” in strategic locations to “BAIT” deer in closer so I can have more jerky! Also run a large cow calf operation and know how to place mineral feeders and salt blocks for cows. It is no different. Again if you don’t think so you are in denial. MAKE IT LEGAL so everyone can do it!!! One thing people need to realize is they are not “YOUR DEER” no matter how much land you own are how special of names you have for them on you trail camera photos…they are not your deer they are everybodies deer!!!!!

Participant

A food plot will only have a certain time that it attracts deer. The time before it is attractive, the time it is fed on, and the time that the food source is depleted. Baiting allows food to be turned off and on at the whim of the poacher, err baiter. This could concentrate populations with unlimited food only to have that food supply shut off at the very time that they need it most. Food plots on the other hand gradually run out of food gradually which allows a more natural dispersion of the deer as they move to other food sources. Not the same.

Blocked

Another reason food plots are baiting. With your logic I can turn on food plots by planting different varieties of plants that emerge early and late or any time in between for tht matter and hunters already do this so they time there food plot to be effective for when they have opportunity to hunt. I can turn off my food plot at any time with ROUND-UP and a rotary mower!!

OK….how about this argument…Feeding birds. Baiting birds to get them close to the window so you can look at them or feeding them to help them out in winter? Are we really helping them by feeding them a mixed birdseed from a superstore that has no idea what types of birds that are in our area and feeding the birds seeds that are not normal food in their area????

Is it baiting if I feed the deer at a regular spot at a consistently forever just to help them out so I can see them from my window over morning coffee…am I baiting or feeding….I just want to see them like the birds because they are all wildlife. Now I am going to put a “FOOD PLOT/BAIT PLOT” in my back yard that I will maintain properly and have a crop rotation that offers feed all year long. Baiting or feeding? Now during hunting season I am going to fill two doe tags over the feeder and the food plot…one each…now is it baiting or feeding. I think everybody thinks it is feeding until you bring a gun into the scenario.

Same as feeding pheasants corn out in the field to help them….great..bring gun to party you are a baiter!!!

All forms of bating!!!! Cut and Dried!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.