Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Baiting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant

I think it would be a big negative for hunting opportunities on public land.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

This bill needs killed pronto.

Participant

I do think they need to clarify the rules surrounding bait but I don’t think legalizing everything is the answer. I doubt this will go anywhere, but I agree it needs to die.

Participant

I guess I don’t see the big problem with baiting animals. You pay the state to hunt, you pay them a habitat fee, then a deer tag and property tax, so yeah if I wanna bait something in what’s the problem? You paid to havest a deer. I’m shocked its even illegal. Can anyone on this site tell me why baiting is so bad and shouldn’t be allowed? As long as you shoot the same amount of deer that you have tags for, what is the problem here? To me group hunting kills more deer than baiting ever could, 20 guys surround a section and kill all that moves, and they call that legal

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant

I wouldn’t have a problem with baiting on private ground. Public ground is a whole different ball game. Just my opinion, you’re welcome to have yours. 😉

Participant

Baiting. Food plots. Big difference? I don’t think so, but that’s me.

Participant

Some people like the easy button. I guess I enjoy the challenge of it to much to try and make it easier.

Participant

What is the difference between baiting and planting food plots ?

Participant

Difference between baiting and food plots is baiting feeds the deer for a short time, food plots can be year round food.

Participant

I have to agree with Homerj , also those that plant a farm with some type of cash crop and harvest all but a handful of acres to be hunted over later are basically doing the same thing. Leaving some of the crops for winter forage for wildlife is one thing, for the purpose of late season hunting is another. Just my 2 cents.

Participant

I think it makes more sense to allow baiting on private land, but not on public. However, that could create a whole new set of issues since, in principle, someone could just drop a salt lick right at the border on the private land side and hunt the public land side. Maybe it would need to say no baiting within 100 or so yards of public land in order to avoid that scenario. The reason I am not totally against allowing baiting is because current law is just too vague. There is no clear answer as to how far away from a salt lick you need to be or how long after it has been removed you need to wait before you can hunt a spot. In addition, as has been mentioned, it is difficult to clearly distinguish between a food plot and a salt lick. Granted, there are subtle differences, but the purpose of a food plot is clearly the same as a salt lick, which is to attract deer to a specific location.

I predict that if bating were allowed then the success rate of deer tag holders would increase significantly and there would be a proportionally smaller number of tags issued by the DNR to compensate for this.

Participant

In my opinion food plots require hard work and dedication and some help from Mother Nature. Dumping a bucket of corn or apples on the ground doesn’t. Again, in my opinion nowhere near the same thing.

Participant

Let’s say that they make it legal. I can see a land owner setting bait stations every 100 yards on his land adjoining public. Then leasing them on a daily rotation to ensure safety. I don’t like the dea. Second, a food plot is a lot different than a feeder. You can bet that a lot of access to private would disappear.

Participant

Not to mention the concentration of the deer herd around the bait, thus increasing the odds of CWD or other diseases.

To me, baiting isn’t fair chase. You want it to be that easy? Lot of lockers sell deer meat. Buy it there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.