Home Forums Miscellaneous Iowa Outdoors Cookbook — Recipes backstrap recipes?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

wanna cook my back straps this year but idk how to cook them. so any ideas?

Harrison
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My favorite, black pepper& lowerys. Thats it. just throw it on the grill, then eat.

medicdano
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Cut loin into 2″ sections, stand on cut end and pound down to 1″ thick. Preheat oven to 350, and a cast iron pan on high with 1 teaspoon of oil until just smoking (very hot). Place loin in pan (with 1-2″ inbetween pieces) and sear on one side, about 1 min. Flip and immediately put pan into oven. Bake until desired doneness (med rare in 5-7 min). Transfer loiins to plate and cover with foil to rest.

Return cast iron to stove on high heat with meat juices and add 1/2 red wine, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, 1 tablespoon tarragon. Bring to a boil and reduce heat slightly to med high. Reduce liquid until there is about 1/8″ in the pan and add 1/4 of heavy cream. Reduce down again until about 1/8″ of sauce is in the pan. It should coat a spoon at this point, or the consistancy of thin gravy. Remove from heat and add 1 tablesoon butter (NO MARGARINE!!!) and salt/ peeper to taste. It sounds complicated but it is really pretty simple.

Spoon over loins and YUM YUM YUM!!!

I use this all the time on venison, or elk when I get it. I always serve this to people that “don’t like deer any way they have had it”. It will be SUPER tender. Goes great with a syrah or malbec wine, or a red lager beer (Killians). My favorite sides with this are ginger roasted carrots and of course, mashed potatoes. Hope this helps

If all you have is roasts or other cuts then you can braise it or as mentioned before, season and grill. I hope you got loin

Heinrix_54
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You cut it off the deer’s back and slap it on the grill…

Seriously though, maybe a little dash of montreal steak seasoning and that’s it. Grill it to rare and enjoy.

itsmyturtle
    Participant
    Up
    Down

hanging tenders.. best part on the deer..
    I am slobberin now..
    SYATT
    itsmyturtle

rvrbttm archer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I tenderize some of them and coat them with seasoned bread crumbs or flour. fry in hot grease to sear the outside. I then put them in a pan, cover with gravy from a jar and bake them.

shootwhitegeese
    Participant
    Up
    Down

we put a lite coat of cookies flavor enhancer and grill on low heat until rare..the key for us is to grill the whole backstrap..If you slice it it seems to dry out..

revup
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I can’t remember where I read this recipe, but it is burned into my brain now.

1) Pound / tenderize sliced strap down to ½” thick, or less
    2) Dip in teriyaki sauce
    3) Sprinkle with garlic salt
    4) Spread with cream cheese
    5) Throw some fresh sliced jalapenos on top of the cream cheese
    6) roll up, and wrap with a slice of bacon or two (use a tooth pick to keep the bacon on)
    7) grill and go to heaven (some like to top with a slice of peperjack cheese)

iowavf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I smoked one I had left from last season with a pork loin and it turned out pretty good. Have smoked a couple deer roast also and they don’t dry out like you would think. They had lots of juice still in them when slicing.

racefan3829
    Participant
    Up
    Down

i smoked a couple my self this year with different mc cormick rubs on them and then laying bacon on top while in the smoker and i would have to say it was some of the best deer i have eaten very tender and very juicy when still cooked cooked completely

bowtechbandit
    Participant
    Up
    Down

cut 1″ thick, flour and fry

TysonT
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Cut into medallions about 1″ thick, fry in a cast iron pan with butter (or olive oil), with a dash of Greek Seasoning or Seasoned Salt, or Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Or grill them like any other steak.

I have found that lower heat than used for beef steak seems to keep them juicier and more tender. Maybe because of the lower fat content from venison?

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I usually grill backstraps till.they are pink. Season with lowrys and cookies flavor enhancer. I have jerky nuggets in the dehydrater right now. Marinated for 2 days. The straps do make great and tender jerky.

dingmo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Here’s my favorite:

Cut back straps a full 2” thick and place them in your favorite marinade overnight, like Cajun Injector Garlic Creole.

Remove marinated meat and drain excess liquid from the meat. Wrap cut of meat with bacon. Then sprinkle the upper side with garlic salt. Next, take pulverized freeze-dried instant coffee crystals and lightly dust the salted side. Allow to sit for 20 minutes or until the coffee turns like chocolate syrup. Then turn meat over and do the same on the other side.

Cook over a medium fire for six minutes per side for medium rare, longer for medium or well done. I know this sounds odd, but it will be an unbelievable piece of meat. The garlic salt draws out the blood and the coffee causes it to form a coating that will help the meat retain its moisture.

Hdnpowrz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Marinate in dry rub, or BBQ sauce. Wrap in bacon shove a tooth pick in to hold it on. Grill or smoke till the bacon is done. TASTY!!! I sliced a bunch up and sauteed with onions and green peppers then ate it like Fajitas, also lots of great comments!!! Possibilities are endless. I wish the whole deer tasted like the loin…

IA 9249 AY
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Enough talking.

hammertime83
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My family and I like to cut deer loin steaks about an inch thick then marinade them in mesquite flavor marinade. I believe the brand of marinade I use is either McCormicks or Schilling GrillMate. It’s been awhile since I bought any and I apologize for not being 100% sure. I get it at Wal-Mart and it comes in a small envelope. There is something about the mesquite flavor that pairs with deer steak perfectly. It is as if this particular marinade was made especially for venison. Marinade them according to the instructions on the envelope. DO NOT marinade them any longer than the directions say. If I remember correctly you only marinade for 15-30 minutes. After marinading wrap each steak with thick sliced bacon and grill over a high heat. They only take 3 minutes or so per side. DO NOT overcook. If you follow the directions exactly you will end up with a piece of steak that will rival a beef steak from most steakhouse’s. I haven’t deer hunted in 4 years so it’s been way too long since I have made deer steak this way. Give this a try. You won’t regret it.

riverrat216
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If you like chicken fried steak? Try cutting them into steaks pounding them out bread them in seasoned flour and fry them in veggy oil. Make a white gravy poor over and heat through….. Enjoy

linger_on
    Participant
    Up
    Down

If I have time I like to marinade the loins and vac seal them for the freezer. Then all you have to do is let them thaw out and cook. I love them this way.

Marinade
    Vac seal
    Freeze till you want them
    Thaw
    Grill

changdrix
    Up
    Down

Marinated in Italian dressing for 2 hrs throw em on the grill to medium rare 😀 😀 :question:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.