Home Forums Hunting General Hunting baby rabbits

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I have a nest of baby rabbits in my yard that I have been watching for 5 days now. They are about 3 inches long. I have not seen the mother rabbit around there at all and I have checked at all hours. Do they not nurse or what??

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yes, 2.5 to 3 weeks, couple times a day. The female will stay away from the nest the rest of the time.

possum catcher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

she must be sneaky cuz i can never catch her out there. oh well, as long as the cats dont get em

agatemaggot
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Crows might be a bigger threat than Cats !

m sauer
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I don’t know about nursing..what I do know is they will ravage your garden when then get a little bigger 👿

vanderwell07
    Participant
    Up
    Down

kill them………… 👿 before they eat all your flowers

Backlash
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My yorkie pulled a half dozen out from under my deck last year. I tried to teach them to swim in a bucket but they were not very good at it!

markbrower
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Lawnmower is pretty effective, but messy.

Mr.Seaguar
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hd some 2 yrs ago. I was hoping Mac the wonderdog would eat them but that idiot, alls he did was point them. I was thinking, hey moron, I can see them too. The third time they jumped in my window well and I had to haul my fatself down there to get them, they moved into the country.

nater3
    Participant
    Up
    Down

When I lived in Ames we always had rabbit nests in our yard. If my labs didn’t get to them first, my brother’s pythons loved them. 🙂 My older lab finds them to be a great delicacy. I would yell at her to drop them, but they would just get swallowed hole when I head towards her to get them from her.

realtown12
    Participant
    Up
    Down

You could just buy a snake (boa) and it will take care of that problem but then you would have a snake on the loose.. What about a cat? there should be plenty of cats, i had like 8 or 10 bunnies under my porch, the city cats have taken care of a at least 3 that i have counted. you could import a cat and then just export it when it’s done its purpose, just use a box….

I had a hawk that would perch in a tree in my yard for a while when it was around i only saw bunnies at night, he even took a couple swoops at my pugs, probably thought they were giant black squirrels, lol Anyway, it must have moved on cus now i see them in the middle of the day.

mattcondon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I wish my dog had it in him to eat baby rabbits whole and still alive. He’s way too soft… haha.

Backlash, did ya forget to put their floaties on before the swimming lesson or something? 😆

My neighbors at home have like 6 cats combined, I don’t think I’ve seen a rabbit all year at my parents’ (which is kinda weird because we live on a wooded area) even the red-tailed hawks aren’t around as much since the rabbits are gone and the hawks took out all but maybe one of our pheasants over the last few years. One the other hand, I haven’t seen any mice in the shed and my decoy bags, pheasant feathers n such aren’t getting ravaged anymore.

Anonymous
    Up
    Down

Well since we are talking about baby rabbit removal, my grandmother used to get rid of the whole group, simply by putting a large cup of ICE cubes in their den. I guess baby rabbits cannot control temp very well and they will expire due to the cold and wet. as long as you can keep the mother away from moving them. Just FYI

Dmac

murf
    Participant
    Up
    Down

any nest near my house and gsp takes it down. she starts w/ a point and then when nothing flies the baby bunnies or mice get it, starting w the nose flip followed by a digging maneuver followed w/ the retrieve, by that time any that arent already dead get released at my feet and I fling them a long distance w/ a stick or some other device. if they survive all of that, they deserve to live! mom usually comes back to no nest.

oldstylelight
    Participant
    Up
    Down

lets equate this to football. it is much easier to tackle a running back if you stop him early at the line of scrimmage vs. in the open field when he has a full head of steam. Tackle those little things now!

possum catcher
    Participant
    Up
    Down

jeez…..everybody loves the coyotes but hates baby rabbits? I would much rather have a yard full of rabbits than 1 cat in the neighborhood.

Backlash
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: possum+catcher

jeez…..everybody loves the coyotes but hates baby rabbits? I would much rather have a yard full of rabbits than 1 cat in the neighborhood.

You must not have a garden or flowers that you pay good money for, just to provide the neighborhood bunnies a free buffet 😆

LoneWolf130
    Participant
    Up
    Down

My wife raises rabbits, and generally the lil guys will nurse once to twice a day. Other than that the mother will tend to stay away as to not attract any unwanted attention to the nest. I guess I don’t understand why all the rabbit hating either. We have a nice garden and have never had a single problem with rabbits in it.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

We don’t mind seeing a few bay rabits around.

IA_James
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: possum+catcher

Clearly you don’t have a raspberry bush that you were hoping to get berries off of this year. 👿

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.