Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting August scouting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys, this upcoming deer season will be the first year I have had the opportunity to hunt from a tree stand rather than a blind. The property I hunt has one that someone setup and left there years ago, it appears to be in a good spot. Any tips on things to look for when scouting this time of year? There is some pasture and some timber area on this property, the stand is setup in the timber. Any info is great!

Participant

The deer won’t do anything different crossing from property to property. Most likely most of them have been raised there and the property isn’t new to them. You’ll have the best luck hunting mornings or nights. Mid day hunts usually aren’t productive until the rut starts in November. When the rut starts you can hunt all day.

Participant

Set a few trail cams near active trails. See what you have in there and that will give you some more ideas/tactics for when you hunt.

Participant

Double check that tree stand!

Participant

Is the stands owner planning to hunt from that stand this fall?

Participant

Quote by: TeamAsgrow

Is the stands owner planning to hunt from that stand this fall?

The stand owner no longer is even around the area, current landowner isn’t even sure who it belonged to. Found a shed this year of a 12 pt in a pasture area, however my stand is setup in the timber not to far away..is it likely the deer spend time in both the pasture and timber come fall?

Participant

Last year I got out to the public land I hunt and set my trail cams up the second week in August. Holy buckets I had never been so sweaty, bitten up, and exhausted after walking the woods. As far as scouting, I only use cams that early. To hot for me to walk around and to green and overgrown still. I almost always change stand positions year-to-year so at the end of September early October is when I start scouting for hunting spots. I wish there was more for me to do this early in the year for deer scouting but there just isn’t when you dont have your own land to plant food plots or anything.

Participant

This time of year is tough for getting a feel for what the deer do in the fall, and the deer sign is tougher to see with all the new season’s growth. I try to do most of my scouting in February and March as soon as the snow melts. The previous season’s sign is frozen in time and the timber is the most open its ever going to be. As for right now, I’d maybe hang a couple cameras in back corners/edges of fields or pointing down cornfield waterways and see what’s in the area (you’re probably not going to get ALL the deer on camera). I usually start my focus on obvious pinch points (whether by topography or vegetation/timber) on a new property, then observe from those stands and watch deer movement as the season progresses. As the vegetation starts to thin in October, I’ll usually do some low impact mid-day scouting to see what the sign is telling me and make adjustments if needed. It’s all fun, Good Luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.