Home Forums Miscellaneous Love it….Hate it… ATV vs. UTV

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750. I use it for making small foodplots, dragging out an occasional deer, and mostly for ice fishing. It pulls my wheelhouse with ease with chains on all 4 tires. It goes through snow like crazy. I love it! But, it is only legal for one person. Can some of you with side by sides comment on their power and getting them through snow vs. an ATV? I am looking at a Polaris Ranger 800 with a bench seat in the front, and a box on the back and a full enclosed cab, which would be nice for traveling on the ice.

Participant

another toy? lol. I am curious about the pros and cons too as it would be nice on the ice with an enclosed cab.

Participant

I have a Teryx4 and love it for ice fishing. I have yet to have any problems getting around or needing more power. More and more every year i find myself choosing the Teryx over my Rincon for ice fishing. It is awesome with the cab on the -50 WC days. You can fly across the big lakes to the next spot. Just remember they can weigh up to 2000 lbs loaded. So make sure the ice is good. I do have chains but have yet to use them on the ice. It will be just like your Brute Force in snow. As long as your not high centered on snow it will keep clawing thru.

Participant

Quick list

ATV advantages: cheaper to buy, fits in the truckbed, plows sidewalk, turns tight for herding, lighter weight to get unstuck and safer on ice. Less storage space required.
    CONs: light weight so it doesn’t dig as deep to pull out a stump, lower carrying capacity, exposed to the elements, narrower stance makes it easier to catch and roll.

UTV, this list ignores LSV like Gator, Mule, Kubota
    Advantages: pulls its own trailer into the field safely because it has the weight and brakes to be safe, extra weight lets you dig through more snow but when it finally sticks it is stuck, more people and weight capacity, more accessory options like cabs, maintenance is similar to an ATV, more stable with wider stance and longer wheelbase, plenty of power and speed for working, safer with seat belts and ROPS. Easy in and out for quick fence repair or if you twist a knee and can’t swing your leg over the ATV. Steering wheel and footfeet make it easy for the uninitiated to operate. Availability of front and rear 2″ receiver. Small towns are more likely to legalize UTVs for roaduse over ATVs.
    Disadvantages: double your atv weight when cabbed (ground compaction and ice strength), loud interior with hard cab, lower fuel economy, slower than ATV, requires a trailer for transport, ROPS can be too tall for enclosed trailers, extra width might require new bridges/gates/widening of trails, too wide to plow most sidewalks without ripping yards, higher purchase price, higher accessories prices. The tilt dump box often needs to be released to check the engine oil and air filter, dumping all of your cargo.

Generally the ATV and UTV engines are the same and have only been regeared. Sometimes a different head and cam are used for performance models. The majority of new vehicle sales have moved from ATVs to UTVs.

How did you narrow down your choice to the Ranger 800?

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Love my gator. More comfortable for tall people than the ranger.

Participant

I started out with four wheelers, a Honda Recon 250cc and then a Honda Foreman 500cc, then moved to side by sides with a Polaris Ranger 400cc, and now a Can Am Commander 1000cc 4-seat.

After having both, I’d never go back to a four wheeler. I use my side by side for fishing, hunting, chores on the acreage, and cruising. This Can Am might be a bit of over kill for what I need but I got a good deal on it and it’s a fun cruiser. I can go from puttering around in the woods checking cams and clearing trails, to hauling rocks or whatever in the full size dump box, to cruising down the road with the radio playing at up to 70mph. But I wouldn’t go that fast of course because it’s illegal……

The comfort, ease of operation, and all around usefulness of a side by side can’t be beat.

Participant

i have a Polaris rzr 570. I use to have a 4 wheeler. I love having the rzr because it’s much more versatile in hunting and play. I’ve towed small utility trailers around the property for firewood. I tow my log splitter down the road with it. disadvantage is I can’t take it camping with me because it doesn’t fit in the bed of the truck and I don’t have a toyhauler camper. so i’m trying to justify to the wife that we need a 3/4 ton with a flatbed so we can haul the Polaris and not buy a new camper.

kelkel
    Participant

Quote by: Muskeez

I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750. I use it for making small foodplots, dragging out an occasional deer, and mostly for ice fishing. It pulls my wheelhouse with ease with chains on all 4 tires. It goes through snow like crazy. I love it! But, it is only legal for one person. Can some of you with side by sides comment on their power and getting them through snow vs. an ATV? I am looking at a Polaris Ranger 800 with a bench seat in the front, and a box on the back and a full enclosed cab, which would be nice for traveling on the ice.

As far as power if you get the same size I don’t think you will see much difference. If your worry is snow I would definitely stay with your 4 wheeler. I would recommend a 4×4 side by side for sure if you get one. I have one of each, both 4x4s and the ATV gets around much better and as stated on here the ATV is much easier getting out if stuck.
    That being said I would not not get rid of my side by side for anything, my 4 wheeler would go first. Much easier getting on and off and can haul so much more.

medicdanomedicdano
    Participant

Quote by: medicdano

Love my gator. More comfortable for tall people than the ranger.

double post

Participant

Thanks for all the great info above guys! I really appreciated it! I was eyeing the 800 Polaris because a dealer had a very gently used one at a fair price. Because of financial reasons mostly I went with a 2-up ATV so that I could be legal while ice fishing and having the wife on the ATV with me instead of having to pull each other on our portable fish houses. The average side by side was roughly another $3k-4k, so I decided to stick with an ATV. I bought a 2012 Polaris 500HO 2-up, it ended up needing more work than the seller either knew or admitted, but we got it back into shape and it has been a good ice fishing machine. I do miss the V-twin engine and 750 cc in my Kawasaki, and the additional weight. The polaris just seems lighter and I can do donuts with the Polaris in AWD with chains on all 4 tires, where the Kaw bit into the ice much more. Again, thanks!

Participant

Quote by: Muskeez

Thanks for all the great info above guys! I really appreciated it! I was eyeing the 800 Polaris because a dealer had a very gently used one at a fair price. Because of financial reasons mostly I went with a 2-up ATV so that I could be legal while ice fishing and having the wife on the ATV with me instead of having to pull each other on our portable fish houses. The average side by side was roughly another $3k-4k, so I decided to stick with an ATV. I bought a 2012 Polaris 500HO 2-up, it ended up needing more work than the seller either knew or admitted, but we got it back into shape and it has been a good ice fishing machine. I do miss the V-twin engine and 750 cc in my Kawasaki, and the additional weight. The polaris just seems lighter and I can do donuts with the Polaris in AWD with chains on all 4 tires, where the Kaw bit into the ice much more. Again, thanks!

Don’t do 4wd doughnuts with a Sportsman. They’re known for broken front ends when the kids take them on the ice.

Participant

Quote by: mrbuildit

i have a Polaris rzr 570. I use to have a 4 wheeler. I love having the rzr because it’s much more versatile in hunting and play. I’ve towed small utility trailers around the property for firewood. I tow my log splitter down the road with it. disadvantage is I can’t take it camping with me because it doesn’t fit in the bed of the truck and I don’t have a toyhauler camper. so i’m trying to justify to the wife that we need a 3/4 ton with a flatbed so we can haul the Polaris and not buy a new camper.

There are some beds (Dodge with oversized tool boxes) that are narrower cargo width and won’t fit the standard 48″ plywood sheet. For standard truck beds, Arctic Cat came out with a Wildcat Trail 700. It’ll fit in a standard bed with the tailgate down. Plenty of power from the 700 twin. The narrower chassis does make them more tippy at shatp, high speed corners (remember the original Rhinos?).

Participant

I would like a side by side, but not to replace the quads. There are definitely times it would be nice, but it would be less versatile for me, for others that might be the opposite.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.