Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting Arrow position

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hello everyone, Thought I would toss this out at this group for a bit of confidence and suggestions. I have been bow hunting for 35years and have never hit a deer quite like this and would like to hear some of your experiences. I had arrowed him this morning at 7am complete pass through lots of initial blood (1 1/8″ fixed blade). I had watched the buck loose a good amount of blood as he was yet in the timber with me. He walked away very slow, stopping every 10 feet, panting. The panting could have come from bounding after the shot. But he was in super slow motion. I spoke to my wife and he had crossed my driveway right in front of the house which is about 100 maybe 150. Only 1 blood drop on the drive when I checked where that was. Here it is almost 2:30 and I biting at the bit to go try to track. I want to stress that it was directly in front of the leg as the picture shows. The sound was a good chest hit sound, that deep thump. After research this is a prime spot for artery, esophagus and femoral artery.

My thoughts are I hit front of the leg yet in the chest cavity where the esophagus meets. I have never hit an arrow here so I have no experience I can recall.

Has anyone had an experience like this shot placement?

Participant
    Up
    Down

UPDATE: Don’t know why Im blocked from posting….

Keymaster
    Up
    Down

UPDATE: Don’t know why Im blocked from posting….

You are not blocked from posting. Sorry for the confusion. All First Time Posters are put into review status to ensure that we keep out the spammers. Once your first comment has been approved you are moved to the “in-crowd” and are welcome to join in discussions and even create your own topics! I hope you enjoy the boards going forward!

lunker99lunker99
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Been a few days did you end up finding it?  Tried replying a few days ago but evidently had been long enough since I had posted that I had to get approved also for my replies to go through.  That far forward effectiveness of the shot will highly depend on the angle of the deer to you. I hit one in that area several years ago that was quartering towards me, dead within 75 yds.  Broadside or quartering away and that spot has a higher chance of being a non-lethal shot or one that it would travel pretty far before expiring if pushed too soon.

Participant
    Up
    Down

First,  the femoral artery is in the leg, and though not a good target, if hit, kills quickly with massive blood trail.  The anatomy front of the leg may not even get an arrow into the chest cavity, and if so , only the tip of one or both lungs.  My bet is that this is a sore deer, but will live to eat another day.  Heart and major vessels are a little more rearward.   doc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.