Are more of you using a red dot style optic or a scope for your muzzle loader???2018-11-01T16:34:39-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms Are more of you using a red dot style optic or a scope for your muzzle loader???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m curious…  I like a scope for target identification, but since I always use binocs, I’m questioning if a red dot is simple and easy…  I don’t have the ability to utilize irons on this unit, so it has to be one or the other.

Suggestions?  Personal experience with both?

-Michael

Loomis13Loomis13
    Participant

No experience with a Red Dot, but I after having a scope on my muzzle loader, I wouldn’t ever have a muzzy without one. I like the adjustable zoom that a scope provides and with a good scope you can see better in low light situations. I do hunt in a lot of more open country though. So if I see a buck in my binocs, I can get my gun up in advance, and follow him through the scope.

Participant

Being red/green colorblind, scopes are my best/only option.  Keep them on low power in case something sneaks in, as you have time to zoom up on game you see at a distance.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

There’s a lot of comfort in the confidence of a good scope and precise cross hairs, red dots are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable, with a high failure rate, I recommend avoiding them.

Scope fer sure 🤔

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by WapelloMark WapelloMark.
    Participant

Put a red dot on an AR for the hell of it.  It was pretty good out to 50 yards.  At a 100 the dot is almost as big as a 5″ target. I was still pretty comfortable out to 100 but I quickly put on a scope.

I have one AR with a red dot still but it is more of a self defense/truck gun. I just built it and haven’t shot it.

One argument is red dots fail a lot. There are a lot of really cheap ones out there. You can also spend a ton on one also. The military uses a lot of red dots so I don’t think they want stuff that isn’t reliable.

Participant

well, i’m not known for going cheap on optics, so snagging a red dot that does the job isn’t a problem.  just didn’t know if folks found a tremendous need for a weapon that admittedly will be shorter range in most cases to have magnified optics.

-michael

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I’m curious… I like a scope for target identification, but since I always use binocs, I’m questioning if a red dot is simple and easy… I don’t have the ability to utilize irons on this unit, so it has to be one or the other. Suggestions? Personal experience with both? -Michael

I’ve been using red dots on my muzzy’s for close to 15 years.  I have had excellent success with them with no failures.  I believe like most things, you get what you pay for.  I mostly hunt early muzzy so shots are typically less than 75 yards.   Late season, where shots can be 150+ yards go with a smaller MOA red dot or go with a traditional scope.   Always carry a spare battery or two on your person, just in case.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Blocked

I have a Swedish made  Aimpoint 2.5 power on a benelli SBE1 with a ER Shaw custom heavy rifled bull barrel.  Put the red dot on what you see/want and you get it out to 150yds easily go over that must calculate some holdover.  As for red dots fail readily….total bullshit…this combo has been used for 20 plus seasons..not being accurate also total bullshit…misinformation spewed.  As for the disclaimer for the flamer I did not say scopes were not accurate or reliable.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!