Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting AR recommendatuons

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: whiterook

Quote by: Mengo

So I’m about ready to break down and get an AR, and would appreciate some feedback and suggestions on what I should get from some experienced members. I will be using it for predator and Bobcat hunting, along with some fun shooting. I’d like a good gun that is a good value. I’d like a decent scope on it, but also would like the capability to shoot open sights if needed. Not sure that I need a lot of complexity and a lot of add ons, but would like a factory rail that allows adding later possibly. It would be really nice to find an extendable stock, as I have long arms and have concerns about scope alignment with a short stock. I’m thinking .223, but am open to suggestions.

What would you get if you were buying a new one now? I’d appreciate any and all advice……not possible to give too much, in my opinion. Thanks in advance.

I’m not up on the latest manufacturers/models of AR’s. But one thing I would want in my AR. Is a Chrome lined barrel. As it is resistant to rusting if not cleaned right away.

I would also opt for a 1:9 barrel twist.

A nitride barrel would be a good choice if you don’t like to clean guns but still want good accuracy.

Personally, I’d go with a 1/8 twist if the rifle is going to be more of a precision gun. The 1/8 twist is the best of both worlds, it shoots light bullets well but will also handle the long heavy bullets you need to get out to the limits of the .223 caliber. If you never plan on shooting anything lighter than 55gr a 1/7 twist will work also.

Participant

Quote by: mr.icefishing

I just bought a bushmaster .223 for $500. To top it off, it came with a $150 mail in rebate. Hard to pass up an AR for $350!

Where did you find that deal at?

jimneyjimney
    Participant

Quote by: jrbert

Quote by: mr.icefishing

I just bought a bushmaster .223 for $500. To top it off, it came with a $150 mail in rebate. Hard to pass up an AR for $350!

Where did you find that deal at?

Right, I’d like to keep an eye out for that deal. Sounds great!
    I’ve been considering one for play and the occasional truck hunt. Not to hijack the thread, but I’m usually calling my coyotes, so legit question on the scope. Do you truck hunters prefer the red dot or something different?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.