Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting AR recommendatuons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’m about ready to break down and get an AR, and would appreciate some feedback and suggestions on what I should get from some experienced members. I will be using it for predator and Bobcat hunting, along with some fun shooting. I’d like a good gun that is a good value. I’d like a decent scope on it, but also would like the capability to shoot open sights if needed. Not sure that I need a lot of complexity and a lot of add ons, but would like a factory rail that allows adding later possibly. It would be really nice to find an extendable stock, as I have long arms and have concerns about scope alignment with a short stock. I’m thinking .223, but am open to suggestions.

What would you get if you were buying a new one now? I’d appreciate any and all advice……not possible to give too much, in my opinion. Thanks in advance.

Participant

Rock River is kind of local.

I have a bison Armery upper and barrel for two of mine and I like em both alot

Participant

What kind of a price range are you looking at spending? And how good are you with your hands and do you have any tools? the reason that I ask is we can recommend an AR that is $500 and we can recommend one that is $1800.00. Also if you can follow directions and have some basic tools you can build yourself the lower and then buy the upper and save yourself some money. I have helped 4 of my buddies build theirs and built 6 others that are sitting in my safe. Just saying. It is easy and you can build it the way you want. But if you don’t want to go that way then I would agree with MAXX and say go with Rock River. I have 2 and they have both shot really well with both factory and my reloads. But with the market being flooded right now you can pick a DPMS right now for right at $500.00. Good luck. Have fun.

Participant

I have owned a rock river elite op 2, good shooting gun but the forearm would get hot to the touch. you can find them for around $800.

I have owned a DPMS Oracle, great entry level rifle that can be found for $500.

I have owned a DPMS Oracle in .308, heavy SOB and caused the other shooters at the range to gawk and stare.

If I were to buy one today I would likely look at Daniel Defense but they are at that $1500 and up mark.

WapelloMarkWapelloMark
    Participant

You can get a Ruger AR 5.56 / 223 with iron sights for 500.00, looking at 250.00 in a rail and affordable scope,
    Bushnell maybe,

Participant

Price range…………I was thinking I could maybe get a pretty nice set up, including a decent scope, for around $800-$1,200. Sorry about that, I meant to include that initially.

Thoughts on scopes would be appreciated too, Is a Vortex a good value? Thanks

Participant

And I do have tools and can manage fairly well, but admittedly am a neophyte at piecing together one. Have not had one before, so not comfortable that I know all that I need to know.

Participant

Quote by: Mengo

And I do have tools and can manage fairly well, but admittedly am a neophyte at piecing together one. Have not had one before, so not comfortable that I know all that I need to know.

Youtube is your friend they are actually really easy to put together. I have built 4 myself.

Participant

Vortex is a good scope. And you can have a very nice AR for that price range less the optic. The last 2 that I built were 6.5 grendels and they ran right in the $1000.00 range less the scope and mount. I grabbed parts when they were on sale and picked what I wanted for each gun and they are tack drivers. Lots of YOUTUBE videos.

Participant

Quote by: deaddogwalkin

Vortex is a good scope. And you can have a very nice AR for that price range less the optic. The last 2 that I built were 6.5 grendels and they ran right in the $1000.00 range less the scope and mount. I grabbed parts when they were on sale and picked what I wanted for each gun and they are tack drivers. Lots of YOUTUBE videos.

The Grendel is still on an AR-15 frame correct? The last one I built is a 6.8 SPC. I am going to try to shoot a deer with it in WI this weekend.

The only thing I don’t like about it is ammo is pretty difficult to find. I have struggle to find Hornady 120 Grain SST’s. I don’t have the dies to reload for it.

Participant

Maxx, yes it is on the AR-15 frame. And I am not saying Grendel ammo is any more readily available but it is a great round. Both my son and I have shot some pretty amazing groups with them out to 500yds with 123gr amaxes. But if you have dies for them you can take 7.62×39 brass and make them into 6.5 Grendel. Some people have a hard time with resizing them but go slow and they turn out well. It is no more difficult than taking 6.8 spc brass down to 6mmWOA. Not trying hi-jack the thread. Sorry.

Participant

It actually tends to cost more to build your own AR than to buy the finished product. If you add up the cost of everything, including the tools that you might need to get the job done and then compare it to a good AR that is on sale you will frequently find that you end up sending more money and more time for something you could have had for cheaper.

Some recent offerings that seem appealing to me include the Springfield Armory Saint. You can get one in 5.56 mm NATO (i.e., .223 Rem) with a free float hand guard for less than $1,000.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/saint-series/

Participant

Quote by: TrapCyclone

It actually tends to cost more to build your own AR than to buy the finished product. If you add up the cost of everything, including the tools that you might need to get the job done and then compare it to a good AR that is on sale you will frequently find that you end up sending more money and more time for something you could have had for cheaper.

Some recent offerings that seem appealing to me include the Springfield Armory Saint. You can get one in 5.56 mm NATO (i.e., .223 Rem) with a free float hand guard for less than $1,000.

I spent 80 dollars on the tool kit that gave me everything I needed. That kit has built 6 or 7. I loaned it out to a few guys.

I think it depends on how you want to built it. From what I have researched spend your money on the barrel and the trigger. Then you can find some really nice components for cheaper. It is also fun and you get exactly what you want.

If you just want a run of the mill one and don’t care about what components then ya the way the market is you are better off just buying one.

Participant

Quote by: maxx

Quote by: TrapCyclone

I spent 80 dollars on the tool kit that gave me everything I needed. That kit has built 6 or 7. I loaned it out to a few guys.

I think it depends on how you want to built it. From what I have researched spend your money on the barrel and the trigger. Then you can find some really nice components for cheaper. It is also fun and you get exactly what you want.

If you just want a run of the mill one and don’t care about what components then ya the way the market is you are better off just buying one.

I also built my own AR just because I wanted to go through the process myself. You really do learn quite a bit about how the rifle functions, how all the parts come together, and you would better be able to troubleshoot any potential issues. I definitely would suggest giving it a try if you have the time and resources to do so. I am just saying that when I went back and added up the cost of all the components that I purchased it ended up costing more than a pre-built budget AR such as those from Ruger, Smith & Wesson, or even Colt.

It might be more cost effective to just buy a pre-built one, break it down, and then build it back up. With the money that you save you could use it to upgrade things such as the trigger, barrel, stock, forearm, and so forth during the reassembly process.

Participant

Brownells website has youtube videos on how to build an ar-15 with quality parts available as well.
    For my 10 cents worth I would want the following things.
    A good trigger
    free float handguard
    a scope mount that is cantileivered forward, example Bushnell PEPR or similar. That type of mount raises your scope and pushes it forward out of your face and makes life better.
    Then the fun begins.
    You can get mounts for iron sights mounted at a 45 degree angle so you turn your rifle to one side for iron sights, I didn’t find that nearly as cumbersome as it sounded.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.