Home Forums Fishing Panfishing Anything Biting Close to Iowa City Or Muscatine?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just wondered if anyone was catching any Crappies close to Iowa City, or Muscatine? I will be home(West Liberty) this weekend and wanted to catch some crappies.

Participant

I have caught a few pretty nice crappies (12”+) off the slough between Nichols and Muscatine (the big ponds off the highway with the watered ditches/canals.) haven’t been able to pattern them though, or get into a school, the few have been seemingly random. Got some decent gills out of there too though this year. PM me if you want more advice and I’ll be happy to give it.

EDIT: The spot I’m referring to may be called Pike Run? I’m not sure the real name of any of those sloughs. But the place I’m talking about is maybe 5-10 miles south of West Liberty, so right in your area prety much.

Participant

PM sent.

Participant

Quote by: webbgolf1

PM sent.

you may have to try again, my inbox on this site is empty, as well as my email.

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

Deep Lakes Park in south Muscatine, Catching a few and heard the BGills are spawning also. Babes Bait shop selling alot of bait to folks heading that way. Guys won’t say which lake is most productive, may have to do some walking to find them.

Participant

Hello: Try the Coralville reservoir for Crappie. It has been good for a while now. Fish around the rocks and you should do good. Been catching 10″ – 15″ inchers with some Walleye also. Not to mention the White Bass and Drum. Good Luck O – R

MATZILLAMATZILLA
    Participant

Yep that’s Pike run – watch the snakes – mothers are sunning with young on all the rocks and males are running around feeding like crazy. There’s a nice population of northern watersnakes in there. Fish the rocks or brush facing the wind and don’t leave trash – that place looks like a dump

Gills at the pits are hit or miss – there was a large bug hatch Sunday and Monday that slowed fishing down. Gills are staging and sunning, not close to spawning (females are full of eggs). Males are just starting to get aggressive but are not making beds or guarding beds. Crappie are few and far between – too many bucket fillers last year – same for bass

Might be better off heading to Belvadeer 🙂

Participant

Quote by: MATZILLA

Yep that’s Pike run – watch the snakes – mothers are sunning with young on all the rocks and males are running around feeding like crazy. There’s a nice population of northern watersnakes in there.

Snakes are EVERYWHERE down there! A couple of times as I brought a tiny floating shad rap in slowly along the banks/root balls, I would have a snake following it curiously.

And to the OP, I know you were originally wondering about crappie, but we have caught some decent bass down at that area as well as a couple of very nice pike, if you are willing to “diversify” haha

Participant

We’ve been limiting out every time we go to Coralville res. A couple of times I just fished catch and release and caught about 40. Caught and released a 17 incher Saturday. I think we’re fbook friends.. Get ahold of me if you need more info.,,fritz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.