Anyone reloading 450 BM?2019-01-03T10:51:20-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Reloading Anyone reloading 450 BM?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Thinking about expanding my collection for an upcoming hog hunt but want something I can also use around here. Has anyone experimented with the 450 Bushmaster?  I’m seeing a lot of conflicting info out there regarding barrel length, twist rate, load components, etc.  I realize it’s not much more than a 200-300 yard rifle but I don’t want to settle for something that’s “just okay” either. Any suggestions or recommendations?  I haven’t had much luck finding dies or much of a bullet selection in the DSM area either.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

I have a Bushmaster 20″ upper and love it. I only shoot factory ammo simply due to it being used 1st season only. The 250gr Hornady load is outstanding for hunting! Personal preference on whether you want a bolt or semi-auto. Ive shot the Ruger Go Wild 450 bolt gun and think its a great gun for the price!  If i was to purchase dies to reload they would be Lee. Grab a pound of Hodgdon Lil Gun and work up a load using the 250gr FTX bullet.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Just happened on this place looking into a remage barrel for a 700 action. Pretty good info on the velocity difference of barrel length for multiple cartridges!

https://matchgrademachine.com/velocity-testing-thompson-center-barrels/

Participant

Thanks Casey. I’m pretty sure I use the same Hornaday rounds in my muzzleloader and have had good luck when I do my job. Have also read good things about the Barnes bullet. What twist rate is your barrel?  I’m seeing most are 1:24 or 1:16 but have also found a 1:14.  Tough to find 20″ barrels and seems no one local sells just the upper.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

1:24

Participant

I can’t find much on the twist rate either. It does seem the the 1:24 8s what most AR platforms are.

My 16″ 1:24 shoots about a 1 MOA a 100 yards useing Hornady black box. I haven’t tried any others yet.

If you do.reload and have a youngster you want to take that is recoil sensitive you can load this down useing Trail Boss.

I would keep the shots under 70 yards. A large Doe that was hit with a 225gr FTX Bullet put a dime size hole going in and a 50 cent piece hole on the other. She took two steps and folded.

I plan on loading some 275gr Barnes bullets.

The 250 Hornady bullets did just fine on several deer this year and everyone was useing an AR platform 16″ barrel with 1:24 twist.

There is a guy in Lacona IA about 40 minutes south of Des Moines. It’s called Stanley Hunting Center. He has some really good deals on complete rifles and I think he can get just the upper if you ask.

HTHs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!