Anyone going out for a squirrel hunt this weekend?2019-01-10T13:18:04-05:00

Home Forums Hunting General Hunting Anyone going out for a squirrel hunt this weekend?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

With the snow in the forecast for the southern half of the state, is anyone looking forward to a relaxing sit in the woods, snow gently falling all around, squirrels jumping tree to tree as they’re out foraging?  The snow always seems to get them going in high gear and just makes everything seem surreal.  It’s been one of my favorite hunts since I was a kid.  I have a couple of spots picked out to sit and relax.  🙂

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Trying to attach image from last Saturday from my phone.  ☺

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

The story behind that squirrel.  Last weekend I realized I’ve only done maybe one squirrel hunt this season.  I’ve sniped a few from the deck but haven’t gone out into the timber and actually hunted them in the traditional sense.  Since I’m getting around better, I went back to one of my favorite spots and 30 seconds after sitting down in the lounger I spot a nice tree rat heading into a hole of a hollow tree, obviously having saw me come in and sit down.   A minute later I started hearing nut crunching and a tiny runt squirrel was way over to my extreme left.  Being a lefty the shot would have been awkward, and being tiny I gave that squirrel a pass.  I figured his loud munching would either make other squirrels feel safer sooner and come out or maybe a bigger squirrel would come over to run it off.  After 45 minutes of the loudest slowest acorn munching in the world, the little guy finally made his way to one of my tree stand trees to my right.  In that tree a good sized male appeared out of no where and ran off the runt back to his hole in the tree to the left of me.  The big male stopped short of entering the runts hole as it saw a rifle barrel tracking it’s movements through the trees and the buck squirrel retreated back to the tree stand tree.  It gave me a good look over, which gave ample time to center the crossairs on him and send a 20 grain HP his way from the 17hmr.  He dropped like a rock!

We’re covered up in squirrels this year, many of them good sized, well fed with all the mast crops that fell and also the corn field north of us.  Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!  🙂

Participant

I sure wish the city of Ames would let you hunt my backyard.  I cannot keep it looking decent because the 20 or so tree rats back there keep dropping branches onto the grass.  They are not experts at building nests either.  I pick up probably a dozen of them a year.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Just looked at the forecast for tomorrow, up to 6″ for southern iowa.  Sounds like a great snow to hunt squirrels!  Big flakes, not much wind, nice calm snow.

I wish I was able to get out right now, I bet they’ll be moving good this afternoon pre storm.  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!