Home Forums Miscellaneous The Battlefront any info on rock quarry pond just north of Cascade?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking at google maps and dreaming about spring and I found what appears to be a rock quarry just north of the town of Cascade and Hwy. 151 (Dubuque area).

Does anyone know anything about this pond? I am primarily interested in it for bowfishing carp, buffalo or gar as it looks like the water might be relatively clear. And if there happens to be a few sunnies or bass in there for hook and line, all the better! Looks like anything that runs in the North Fork of the Maquoketa River has had plenty of chances to end up in that pond after any sort of flood.

Looks like easy access, too. (unless there’s a gate/fence I can’t see on the map).

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 10.23.10 AM
    take a screenshot

[/url]pic host[/url]

Participant

Privately owned, by a trust based in Pennsylvania. Beyond that, can’t tell you much.

https://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=93&LayerID=929&PageTypeID=4&PageID=593&Q=852845668&KeyValue=1825351002

http://iowaassessors.com/ is a great resource for finding out property information in almost any Iowa county. (Will list ANY county with online information, not just the counties that contract with Beacon)

stick500stick500
    Participant

Pennsylvania? Well, I guess he won’t be shooting out his window at me with a pellet gun. 🙂

Thanks for the resource info on land ownership though. Sometimes I wonder exactly who owns certain fishing areas.

Participant

When I was working up there this summer I saw a few people fishing at that quarry.

Participant

The quarry belongs to Horsefield construction. They do not allow fishing to anyone besides employees. There are a lot of nice crappies in there though

stick500stick500
    Participant

Well, come April it might be worth a phone call to the business to see if they might allow an interloper in with a bow to blast some carp and gar.

Thanks for all the info guys- it’s what makes these forums fun and usefull.

Participant

When I was a kid my dad would take me fishing to the pond on the other side of the river, close to hwy 136. Always caught some nice bass. I don’t think my dad every had permission but he does know a lot of people in the area so he probably knew it was fine. Rules were not as strict back then either.

There really are not that many public places to fish in this area besides rivers. All the ponds are pretty much private. I know there is good fishing on the river right in town below the spillway. Lots of catfish.

stick500stick500
    Participant

EDIT: never mind, thought the previous poster was saying the cats were in there now, but that’s not the case!

stick500stick500
    Participant

Just to complete the thread I stopped by the lake on the north side of the river (the bigger and clearer of the two) and access was easy and no No Trespassing signs anywhere so I just drove in

Threw a few twister tails and saw a few really small bass chasing the lure and caught one about 10″ and then I caught a nice crappie.

No sign of any sunnies at all which was really odd and I could see pretty far into the water (by Iowa standards).

Most importantly no Carp sightings, but they gotta be in there being that close to river, just not a lot I guess (I thought it might be a good bowfishing spot)

Looked like a typical deep sand pit with not of lot nutrients and food for a big fishery, but it was easy to walk along the shore and explore (as far as brush/rocks go)

oh, and both ponds are owned by that construction company and officially they really don’t want anyone in there (insurance/lawsuits) but again no signs that I could see

Participant

Quote by: stick500

oh, and both ponds are owned by that construction company and officially they really don’t want anyone in there (insurance/lawsuits) but again no signs that I could see

It takes a special person to knowingly trespass and then go on a public forum to brag about it. I hope you’re just a kid that doesn’t know any better.

Participant

Quote by: mbchilton

It takes a special person to knowingly trespass and then go on a public forum to brag about it. I hope you’re just a kid that doesn’t know any better.

Couldnt agree more.

I wonder how you would feel if some random person walked onto your property and decided to use it as their own, without your blessing. Maybe just walk on into the kitchen and grab a beer. Or go for a swim in the backyard pool. Why not, no sign to tell um they cant.

“It’s not my fault officer, there was no sign to tell me I was trespassing.”

No respect for others property is one of many examples why property owners are less and less inclined to allow access.

Sigh

Participant

I e mailed the Iowa DNR last year about the North Fork river that runs along 136.
    They stated, North of Cascade is not a sustainable fishery because lack of depth for winter stay over, and the Cascade dam prevents migration, also they said there is no known sustainable fish species other than the typical creek chub, several types of them but do not remember their names.
    However, Down river below the Cascade dam , they say is a sustainable fishery since there is no other barrier to prevent fish to migrate down to the Mississippi river, and or up the river.
    This stretch they say has every fish that the Misissippi has.
    So, the thought of fish from the river “stocking” ponds along it from flooding, may not hold true here in this case.
    FYI

Participant

Just to complete the thread I stopped by the lake on the north side of the river (the bigger and clearer of the two) and access was easy and no No Trespassing signs anywhere so I just drove in

Threw a few twister tails and saw a few really small bass chasing the lure and caught one about 10″ and then I caught a nice crappie.

No sign of any sunnies at all which was really odd and I could see pretty far into the water (by Iowa standards).

Most importantly no Carp sightings, but they gotta be in there being that close to river, just not a lot I guess (I thought it might be a good bowfishing spot)

Looked like a typical deep sand pit with not of lot nutrients and food for a big fishery, but it was easy to walk along the shore and explore (as far as brush/rocks go)

To clear up a point, without piling on a couple previous posts…

Some states require landowners to post No Trespassing signs, or paint every fourth fence post purple (or something like that) to mark the ground as no trespassing. In those states, if the ground is not posted, access is implied.

Iowa is not one of those states. Regardless of if there are no trespassing signs posted or not, legally you need to have permission from the landowner or tenant to be on the ground. They could have you cited for trespassing, and “But there weren’t any signs” will not be a valid defense.

Just trying to help out for the future.

Participant

Quote by: Savage99

I e mailed the Iowa DNR last year about the North Fork river that runs along 136.
    They stated, North of Cascade is not a sustainable fishery because lack of depth for winter stay over, and the Cascade dam prevents migration, also they said there is no known sustainable fish species other than the typical creek chub, several types of them but do not remember their names.
    However, Down river below the Cascade dam , they say is a sustainable fishery since there is no other barrier to prevent fish to migrate down to the Mississippi river, and or up the river.
    This stretch they say has every fish that the Misissippi has.
    So, the thought of fish from the river “stocking” ponds along it from flooding, may not hold true here in this case.
    FYI

That sounds pretty accurate. The North Fork runs through my town too and it has nothing but chubs in it, maybe some carp. Once you get below the dam in Cascade though it does change. I’ve gone just below there to catch catfish and had a lot of luck. It’s amazing how it changes like that.

Participant

Quote by: mbchilton

There are a lot of adults that don’t know better as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.