Home Forums Fishing General Fishing Forum any fly fishers or tiers here?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

just wondering if there is any fly fishers that fish for largemouth here. also wondering if there are any tiers?

Wolfdog
    Participant
    Up
    Down

That is something I would like to learn.

drifty4
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Used to do it a lot. Since Brushy opened up I haven’t done it as much. Trees and flyline don’t make for good partners. :mrgreen:

I used to tie a lot also. It is a killer way to take panfish.

Genesis 27:3
    Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

MuddyRiverFF
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Hi Sniksoh,

I think you will find that there are a lot of fly-fishers and tyers on here.

I started out, years ago, fishing for bass and panfish w/the fly rod. Still do quite a bit. Good flies are poppers (I’ve found small ones like ’round denny’s’ seem to work really well in farm ponds for some reason), dahlberg divers, woolly buggers, and big dries.

Hope this is of some help.

Best.
    MRFF

AugustMoose87
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I do both. Started fly-fishing for trout back home in Colorado, transitioned to panfish and bass once I moved out here, and now I’m starting to go back for trout out here. Also starting to try for some less typical targets, like white bass, walleye, pike, carp, catfish, etc.

I’d normally be happy to give pointers on tying, but let just say I’m not a pro. I don’t know hardly any patterns by name, and my flies look nothing like the ones you buy in the store. However, the fish don’t seem to mind, so I don’t either. 😀

If you are looking to get into it, I’d suggest trying for gills and bass in a farm pond type setting. once the warm weather is around to stay, small poppers are hard to beat. Gills will take them, and even though you may not catch record setting bass on a small popper, a 10″ bass is plenty of fun on a fly rod. Plus topwater is always a blast, and its a bit easier to master than some of the sub-surface methods.

Man, I must be turning into a “senior” member with this comment… I’d offer to show you the ropes some time, but since your bio is blank, I have no clue where you are. If you are around IC/CR at all, let me know if you ever want to go out.

djo
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Yup and yup. Whenever and whereever possible. Normally smallies in streams. It looked like we might get a decent early season, but right now this rain is blowing things out (last year I did not get back at them until the water dropped in August). As the water warms I love largemouth on poppers and streamers – when I can take time away from bluegills. If you have not tried bass and gills on a flyrod you have missed one of the best things about summer in Iowa. My home tied flies are ugly but the fish really do not seem to care in the least.

Basically you can take just about as many bass and gills as the spin casters as long as the fish are near the surface. Once the fish are deep you can still go after them with a flyrod, but it gets to be much less fun.

Where are you in the state? There are flyrodding groups spread around the state. Learning to handle a flyrod takes a bit of practice, but once you do you will have found another way to waste a fair amount of your time.

David

sniksoh
    Participant
    Up
    Down

im in altoona. ive been tying for around 5 years and i love it. im on flytyingforum.com if you want to see some of my flies they are on there. i have the same name there also. ive only fly fished for trout once and i did catch a 12″ bow in colorado that was funner than hell to pull in. but i learned to fly fish with gills and bass and i dont think i will stray from it. there is just something about catching a fish off of something you tied, that is just plain exciting.

flyfishr
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been fishing with a flyrod for 40+ years have caught everythng from green sunfish to Northerns on a fly. My dad has been fishing with a flyrod 60+ years and has tied some, mostly poppers. I have never tied, mostly cause I don’t have the patience. So I buy my flies or poppers. I get all of my flies from http://www.pistolpeteflies.com/ they are killers on panfish and bass.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been fly fishing for 2-3 years now, and I’ve been tying for a little over a year. I’ve had good luck catching trout, bass, white bass, sunfish, and chubs!!! 😀 I can tie a mean wooly bugger (which has at times for me been very effective on bass and all other mentioned species) and some passable hare’s ear nymphs. It’s really quite addictive, and whenever conditions are permitting, I’ll always reach for my fly rod first. I think what I like the most about fly fishing is the way you can use the current to naturally present a fly–although I enjoy stillwater fly fishing just as much when the fish are cooperating.

cal
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I tie also but I tie jigs and have never fly fished. I’ve tied lots of patterns but mainly tie what ever I feel like tieing when I sit at the bench of my own patterns. Some have been great and I keep tieing them others never get tied again!

AJB05854
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I used to primarily fly fish and tie a lot of flies, but don’t have time for it here in Iowa. I actually just talked to my parents today on the phone and they found all my fly tying stuff. They might come to visit me in a month or so, and I might have them bring down if they can fit all the boxes in the car. I want to give it a shot on the skunk. My tying got a lot better after I put down the money for Fly Tier’s Benchside Reference. I also really like the two Kaufmanns’ books, trying dry flies and trying wet flies. One of my favorite times of year is during a midsummers hatch of these tiny caddies flies back home in a warm water pond. Even trophy bass come up and hit my size 20 dries. But, there is generally no need to get technical. I caught most of my bass and bluegill on a sinking ant and a wet fly bee. Also, a cicada pattern can be killer in August.

jkol
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been tying and flyfishing for about 7 years now targeting mainly bass. My favorite patterns for bass by far are poppers and clousers in any combination of red white and yellow.

jkol
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I’ve been tying and flyfishing for about 7 years now targeting mainly bass. My favorite patterns for bass by far are poppers and clousers in any combination of red white and yellow.

HideHunter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I really enjoy “warmwater” flyfishing. I tie some and both my panfish and bass flies have two characteristics – they have to catch fish – and be almost indestructible. 😉

Most of my flies are “my rendition of”. :mrgreen:

Got out for bass first time Friday. Did way better than I expected condsidering there were geese standing on the ice 24 hours before we were fishing. We caught 5 bass all 3# up and a nice walleye.

Both fish were 21 1/2″. First one came on a Calcasieu Pigboat – second on a 5″ Bunny Leech.

Can’t wait for topwater. :mrgreen:

benjisdad
    Participant
    Up
    Down

SWEET BASS HIDEHUNTER!!!.. I love fly fishing for warm water fish…I too started fly fishing for trout, but also expanded to bass and pan fish. Been up to NE Iowa once last year and caught some trout on my fly rod, something I haven’t done in way too many years.. A first last year as well, my first northern on my fly rod. Didn’t hook into any real big ones but I did manage three on the fly…Had a blast.. Looking forward to the water warming up a bit and hitting some local ponds and small lakes for some top water action on my fly rod.. Should be a blast..!! :mrgreen:

AJB05854
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Northern are really fun on a flyrod. I used to go up to Canada every year with a friend and we would just focus on catching little hammer handle norhterns on a flyrod. His dad was never happy when we didn’t come back with any walleye fillets.

sneakypete
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I love to flyfish for both warm water and trout. I do tye my own flys but I won’t claim to be good at it some how I catch fish. Have any of you guys tried those sage bass rods that came out a year or two ago? I l;ooked at them and they seemed nice but I need another fly rod like a hole in the head and I think there are around $350 or so. Hard to spend that when I already catch fish on what I got. As for flys I love the pecks popper for bass, I use yellow and red the most and tie it in 12-6 for panfish and bass.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.