Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Another lion sighting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last wk I spoke with a friend of mine who lives in Garwin, Iowa. She told me 2 friends of her’s seen a lion around 6wks ago. Just South of town. I wasn’t surprised, because there has been numerous sightings in the Garwin area for some yrs now. Including a lioness with 2 sub adults, seen by a group of people a few yrs ago

Participant

a lioness confirmation would be something. i wonder if scientists can determine the sex from dna in scat?

Participant

Quote by: Dr+Ruff

a lioness confirmation would be something. i wonder if scientists can determine the sex from dna in scat?

For anyone to believe there are no breeding females in Iowa. Is pure folly. How could there not be. It’s not like Iowa is walled in.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I just looked up Garwin- that’s in the middle of state!

I was expecting it to be out in the far west.

Cool!

Participant

Quote by: stick500

Cool!

They seem to travel the water courses. Most of the natural drainage provide brush, timber and game. People say, “we’ll I have never seen one”. Probably ture but most of those folks have never see an otter, bobcat or bear in the wild either.

Participant

Quote by: stick500

Cool!

I have been gathering sighting data for over 10yrs. Which have occurred in the following counties. Marshall, Hardin, Grundy & Tama Counties. To date I’ve spoken with over 70 people who have seen a lion or 2-3 lions in a group. Most sightings were in broad day light. Most sightings also occurred in Marshall County. 3 sightings to date of a lioness with 2 sub adults in tow. 1 lioness in Grundy, 1 lioness in Tama & 1 lioness in Hardin County. I’am not swayed by naysayers. Because I do not care what they think. Lions are established in Iowa.

As Ken remarked, they often travel the water ways. Or adjacent to them.

Participant

A friend of mine who lives near LeGrand, Ia. Told me today. A friend of hers & her husband. Seen 2 lions walking together through their property around 2 wks ago in Western Tama County. I have yet to interview those people. Hopefully soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.