Another lion sighting 2018-03-05T03:11:16+00:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting Another lion sighting

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Last wk I spoke with a friend of mine who lives in Garwin, Iowa. She told me 2 friends of her’s seen a lion around 6wks ago. Just South of town. I wasn’t surprised, because there has been numerous sightings in the Garwin area for some yrs now. Including a lioness with 2 sub adults, seen by a group of people a few yrs ago

Dr Ruff
    Participant

a lioness confirmation would be something. i wonder if scientists can determine the sex from dna in scat?

whiterook
    Participant

Quote by: Dr+Ruff

a lioness confirmation would be something. i wonder if scientists can determine the sex from dna in scat?

For anyone to believe there are no breeding females in Iowa. Is pure folly. How could there not be. It’s not like Iowa is walled in.

stick500stick500
    Participant

I just looked up Garwin- that’s in the middle of state!

I was expecting it to be out in the far west.

Cool!

kenhump
    Participant

Quote by: stick500

Cool!

They seem to travel the water courses. Most of the natural drainage provide brush, timber and game. People say, “we’ll I have never seen one”. Probably ture but most of those folks have never see an otter, bobcat or bear in the wild either.

whiterook
    Participant

Quote by: stick500

Cool!

I have been gathering sighting data for over 10yrs. Which have occurred in the following counties. Marshall, Hardin, Grundy & Tama Counties. To date I’ve spoken with over 70 people who have seen a lion or 2-3 lions in a group. Most sightings were in broad day light. Most sightings also occurred in Marshall County. 3 sightings to date of a lioness with 2 sub adults in tow. 1 lioness in Grundy, 1 lioness in Tama & 1 lioness in Hardin County. I’am not swayed by naysayers. Because I do not care what they think. Lions are established in Iowa.

As Ken remarked, they often travel the water ways. Or adjacent to them.

whiterook
    Participant

A friend of mine who lives near LeGrand, Ia. Told me today. A friend of hers & her husband. Seen 2 lions walking together through their property around 2 wks ago in Western Tama County. I have yet to interview those people. Hopefully soon.

coydog
    Participant

One was seen 3.5 week ago, central Iowa. Travelling parallel 1/2 mile from the Iowa River.

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Reportedly taken in Downey on the 6th.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by On.Iowa On.Iowa.
    gillh2o
    Participant

Is this photo taken in Downey, Iowa in Cedar County? I live up the road in West Branch and have not heard anything locally. I may have to check the livestock.

On.IowaOn.Iowa
    Participant

Is this photo taken in Downey, Iowa in Cedar County? I live up the road in West Branch and have not heard anything locally. I may have to check the livestock.

That was my understanding. Again, not my pic, so I can’t be for sure, but a cat following the Cedar timber corridor seems plausible.

beniah1066
    Participant

Just north of Marshalltown, had family 100% see one crossing their driveway out in the country in the morning last week. I am guessing following the Iowa River?

coydog
    Participant

Just north of Marshalltown, had family 100% see one crossing their driveway out in the country in the morning last week. I am guessing following the Iowa River?

I’m not surprised. A lion has been seen in Grundy, Hardin, Tama, Mashall, Jasper & Story Counties

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  coydog.
    NomadNomad
    Participant

A friend got this picture in NorEa-Central Iowa on the upwind side of a small hill.

ahartung
    Participant

Well, that water tower is poorly photoshopped in, which makes the whole thing suspect.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.