Home Forums Hunting Reloading Advice/Powder for .38 and .44 special

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been reloading rifle cartridges for a year now and want to start with handgun cartridges. I own a 6.5″ Taurus 66 in .357mag, a 6.5″ Taurus 44mag, and a 7.5″ Black Hawk Hunter in .44mag. I am looking for any advice regarding handgun reloading and a heads up on powder availability! This would be for target rounds initially both in special cases. I have both dies, shell holders, trimming supplies, and both size primers but finding powder has been a challenge! I am at the point of being okay paying the hazmat to buy on-line, but have had no luck there either. From my own research I believe a couple good powders would be w231, unique, or trailboss! I am from NE Iowa and am willing to travel to Cedarfalls, Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, and Prairie areas if someone sees any available! Thanks for any help and guidance and I hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!!!

Participant

I use the win. 296 for my 44 mag and the win. 231 for my 357,,,I haven’t bought any recently ( keep 2 or 3 lbs on hand) It was usually pretty easy to get. Gun show coming up in Cedar Rapids Jan. 2-3-4,, Gun show in Waterloo this weekend at Cattle congress

Sawdust

OlefartOlefart
    Participant

Any of the Alliant shotgun powers will work, I cast and shoot lead bullets using shotgun powders. Favorites are Bluedot, greendot, reddot, herco, unique and 2400 for jacketed bullets for deerhunting loads in .44mag and .357. I use some Clays in .45ae and acp. Lots of info on alliant powders for hand guns.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Thanks for the info! Do the gunshows usually have distributors with gun powder available?

Participant

the c.r. show does for sure,,,and I would say the waterloo show must also. In C R you can get all of the stuff,,primers,brass,bullets,powder

Participant

CF Scheels had some Win. powders the other day when I was there. The Waterloo gun show will have one or two guys with powder out for sale… If they have it to sell that is.

I use mostly Unique and 2400, in 44 mag. Unique for target type loads and 2400 for some warmer stuff. I messed around with HP-38 years ago in .357, worked OK.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

No go for powder at Scheels in CF or Des Moines. I did find 2lbs of hs-6 from grafs on-line! Any thoughts?

Participant

I looked and have around a half pound or more of HP-38. You can have it if you want it. Let me know if you happen to be traveling west anytime soon.

Participant

I don’t know how much you are looking for but I have an 8lb keg of unopened Unique I would sell if you can’t find what you are looking for anywhere else.

casey_leecasey_lee
    Participant

Thank you backlash and brad! I would be interested in both options!

Participant

A consideration on Unique is I’ve never gotten it to meter worth a hoot. Great powder for your applications, and many others, though.

Participant

Trailboss is what I use for .38. Works great. I load light for target shooting. I picked up two small jugs from Scheels in Iowa City during the summer. I was there a few weeks ago and they said they haven’t had it in stock for a few months. It does seem to go fast when it is around.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.