Home Forums Fishing Walleye Fishing Adel Dam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Adel Dam is about 10 miles from my house. I have fished it 7-8 times over the last couple of years and have only pulled 1 walleye out of there. On top of that, Im not even sure fish can get up to the dam with the low river levels right now.

Anyone have any reason for me to keep going back to this place? Is it just not a great spot or am I just not a good walleye fisherman. 😉

Participant

We used to catch a ton of nice cats above the dam in the late 80’s/early 90’s (most were on ditty poles).

Participant

Yeah I see that place get pounded for cats.. might have to try it sometime. Right now I am just trying to hook a wallace. Sitting on a big ole goose egg for the year so far. Getting a bit antsy.

Participant

Did ya check the bellies of those monster crappies ya caught?? Probably a few in there 😆 😆 😆

Participant

Just sent you a pm.

Participant

Quote by: stitch

Just sent you a pm.

thanks Stitch. You’re a good dude.

Participant

Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Does anybody fish this dam on a regular basis? I was in Adel for work so decided to stop by the dam on the Raccoon this morning. I spent the entire morning throwing everything I could think of without even a bite. Resorted to using some night crawlers on the bottom and all I managed was a drum in 4 hours of fishing.

Is this just not a good spot for fish right now? It didnt look like it was highly pressured either.

Participant

Quote by: jereseib

Thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Does anybody fish this dam on a regular basis? I was in Adel for work so decided to stop by the dam on the Raccoon this morning. I spent the entire morning throwing everything I could think of without even a bite. Resorted to using some night crawlers on the bottom and all I managed was a drum in 4 hours of fishing.

Is this just not a good spot for fish right now? It didnt look like it was highly pressured either.

Funny that you dredged up this post. I have actually not caught a keeper walleye in the 2+ years since I started this post at the Adel dam but have caught some nice smallmouth there (14-18inches). I am sure the walleye can be caught just not by me.

Participant

I live about 4 miles from it and I always wanted to try to fish it but now I have no interest. I see a lot of guys fishing the Redfield dam.

Participant

In all the years I’ve fished there, I have only caught a handful of fish. Only stop there on way to or from other spots these days, and usually drive right past.

Participant

Redfield dam isn’t far away and can be very good. Several years ago 2 buddies and I caught a nice mixed bag of keepers from the bank down there one summer evening. We were below the dam on the east side. We kept a 18″ walleye, 14″ crappie, 14″ white bass, a few 9″ gills, and 4 catfish- 3 channels and a flathead. None of the fish were huge, but all of them were nice eating size.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

I’ve had decent luck with walleyes just to the south of the dam where the river re-converges, near the bike trail bridge. Water level is everything.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Participant

setter- are you talking about the convergence of south and middle coon, a little ways south of Redfield? If so, that has always been pretty good for cats too.

South coon above Nations Bridge park has a lot of gravel and some deep holes. We’ve caught a lot of cats and smallmouth wading in that section. Very pretty country too.

Participant

So the consensus is the Adel lowhead dam isnt a very good spot? It looks like it would hold some nice fish, but I searched through some old threads and not alot of people talk about it. I fished it an entire morning and had the place to myself and I didnt see alot of signs of activity either. Normally when I get to a public spot like that and Im the only one there its a bad sign.

Oh well, Im willing to give any place a chance and like trying out new fishing holes.

llewellinsetterllewellinsetter
    Blocked

Quote by: CRIA1576

setter- are you talking about the convergence of south and middle coon, a little ways south of Redfield? If so, that has always been pretty good for cats too.

South coon above Nations Bridge park has a lot of gravel and some deep holes. We’ve caught a lot of cats and smallmouth wading in that section. Very pretty country too.

No, just downstream from the Adel dam near HWY 6. The river splits just before Adel and half goes around the east side and the other half goes right through town. It re-converges just north of the HWY 6 bridge.

Sarcasm entails a few things: one of them is intellect, another one is a sense of humor, and a third - not taking things too personally.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.