A few from yesterday2019-03-12T15:54:03-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Predator/Varmint Hunting A few from yesterday

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Participant
    Participant
    Participant
    Participant
    Participant

Top 3 ended up chasing a herd of deer. Thus they jumped the fence in hot pursuit. Bottom 2 pics are the same coyote. He was a biggun. They are lucky I was not after them. 🙂

Participant

Wow, These pics are just insane. Im glad you have shared these and all your other pics with us throughout the years E.V. You have captured a lot of good ones and again thank you

Participant

Top 3 ended up chasing a herd of deer. Thus they jumped the fence in hot pursuit. Bottom 2 pics are the same coyote. He was a biggun. They are lucky I was not after them. 🙂

I never learned much from a dead critter. Observe them while they are alive.

Participant

Sweet!

You are correct! A lot of guys kill them and have no clue about them. I haven’t carried a center rifle in a few years if I call them in shotgun range I learn a lot more.

Participant

Sweet! You are correct! A lot of guys kill them and have no clue about them. I haven’t carried a center rifle in a few years if I call them in shotgun range I learn a lot more.

I’ve seen & learned plenty just observing. This Winter rounds off my 54 th year predator hunting. Great memories.

All I want now is a lion, the frosting on the cake.

Participant

Notice that pic where the three are in the cornfield, It seems the one watching the other two with its tail between its legs could be the odd man out in this situation. Or could it be a female offspring left over to help rear the next batch of pups? Any thoughts?

Participant

“I’ve seen & learned plenty just observing. This Winter rounds off my 54 th year predator hunting. Great memories. All I want now is a lion, the frosting on the cake.”[/quote]

I haven’t even been on this dirt 54 years! Like to hear the knowledge.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Avatar Tally Ho.
    Participant

“I’ve seen & learned plenty just observing. This Winter rounds off my 54 th year predator hunting. Great memories. All I want now is a lion, the frosting on the cake.”

I haven’t even been on this dirt 54 years! Like to hear the knowledge.[/quote]

A few things; Red Fox do not have near the sharp eye sight as do the coyotes. They’ll also often dismiss ambient sounds around them. Such as a hunter getting near. Coyotes pay attention to ALL noises. So best to stealth in like a stalking cat. As for the Reds. High pitched noises peak their interest much more than deeper base tones. Higher the pitch sound. The more it will peak a Red’s interest.

Coyotes; They miss very little. Specifically a local territorial older coyote. A pair of coyotes on the move. 99.9% of the time. The female sets the direction & the pace. Where she goes, he follows. She is also, (most often) the last of the two to lay her head down. She is the wariest of the two. When they bed down for the day. An old female is tops. If a hunter can fool her. That is something. When they dig a den or do a “clean-out” The male does the digging. If she doesn’t like his work. She may not accept that den hole & move on elsewhere.

Coyotes routinely hug the inner 1/4 mile area of a 1 square mile area. Most all of the time. Both coyotes & the Red’s use the up-wind areas mainly as transition areas. To get from one down-wind area to the next.

Most coyotes are bedded down for the day @ either pre-Sunrise up until 9-10am. Few stragglers on the move after 10am.

Coyotes territories are roughly 5-7 square miles in total mass in my old hunt areas. Generally the territory is oblong & they often over lap a 1/4 mile or so. With the neighboring alpha pair. I call that over-lap area. The “buffer area” Because a certain degree of trespassing is tolerated by the local pair. When young coyote pups near Winter. They can often be found on the outer area’s of their parents territories.

If you call in a pair or stalk a pair. Shoot the female 1st. Because often the male will linger some. Maybe offering a shot on him? Same goes for the Reds.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Avatar coydog.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!