Home Forums Hunting Firearms 870 Wingmaster Eject

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have a question for someone smarter than me. I bought my son a used 12 ga. – 870 Wingmaster from my buddy a few years ago. It wasn’t used a lot because the bluing on the slide wasn’t hardly even worn. Noticed that it has a consistent problem (not every time) of not putting another shell into the chamber. I’ve shot it myself so I know it’s not because he short arms the action, it’s just not pumping another shell into the chamber… I’ve shot the same gun my whole life and never had this problem with my other 2 wingmasters. Could someone give me some help please!

Thanks,

FF

Participant

Do you mean the magazine isn’t releasing a shell or the carrier isn’t lifting the shell to be loaded?

Participant

I have 2 twelve gauge 870 Wingmasters, 1970-1975ish vintage. 2 3/4 inch. The one I have used the most has been for deer hunting and it has chronically failed to chamber the second shell. I always thought it was just me short pumping. The other gun hasn’t been used as much but it has the same history. I have numerous times had to take the cap off, remove the spring, and empty the gun to get a live shell out that is hung up. I never thought I would read where someone is asking this question.

Participant

Take the pump out and see if there is any foreign mater behind the feed fingers . Also check the pump forks for alignment , I bought one from a guy before Christmas and had to take the pump apart and had to tweak the forks , it wasn’t allowing the pump to full stroke , now it ejects farther than any 870 I own . If that dosent work let me know if you want to sell it. 😀

Participant

https://iowasportsman.com/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=980292&mode=&show=5

^^ I had a very similar problem if I am understanding you right. Does it only jam up after the shot? Or if you load and then unload will it hang up as well? Also it never ejects or sometimes doesn’t? Mine would sometimes, but it had a very VERY small “sweet spot” angle at which you had to hold and pump the gun. This could sometimes take minutes to find.

Participant

Hard to diagnose with out shooting it. Seems like when you use them a lot, an 870 functions very well. For example I get smoother functioning during rabbit hunts than when shooting at Turkeys. I tend to short stroke when anticipating only one shot… 😀

Participant

I never had issues with loading or unloading. For me it was always after a shot. I still contend user error but would love to blame the gun based upon the OP starting this thread. The concept of anticipating just one shot is definitely a possibility. For some reason my Wingmasters just make it easy to short pump. I expect such with 3.5″ shells but would think the 2 3/4 would be less likely.

Participant

I can load the gun with all five shells just fine. Shoot the first shell and it will eject out of the gun. 2nd shell doesn’t come out of the magazine. So basically I have a single shot. Weird thing is that it does not happen every time but I would say atleast 75% of the time. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 2-3/4″ trap shell (7 1/2 shot) or a 3″ duck load (2 shot). But it does piss me off when I have a group of mallards drop in or a couple roosters flush and I have 1 shell!

Hope this clarifies things.

edit: On occasion on some 3″.. 1 1/4″… #2 shot Kent Fasteel would swell the shell into the barrel and the action would be stuck forward after the 1st shot. Then I would pull the slide down extremely hard or take the barrel off and stick something down the barrel to get the shell to break loose. This gun is the devil!

FF

Participant

Your spring could be weak. Check that, get a replacement, Sometimes not enough compression to push it out. I had that problem with my 870 WingMaster, changed spring no more problems.

Lance

Participant

strip it completely down and clean it.

Participant

Quote by: fastfreddy

I can load the gun with all five shells just fine. Shoot the first shell and it will eject out of the gun. 2nd shell doesn’t come out of the magazine. So basically I have a single shot. Weird thing is that it does not happen every time but I would say atleast 75% of the time. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 2-3/4″ trap shell (7 1/2 shot) or a 3″ duck load (2 shot). But it does piss me off when I have a group of mallards drop in or a couple roosters flush and I have 1 shell!

FF

Based on this part ^^ it sounds like mine. It was the guide rods on mine, maybe check those out and you will start figuring it out. Mine didn’t do it 100% of the time either, but like you, it was at least 75+% of the time, definitely the majority.

However…

Quote by: fastfreddy

edit: On occasion on some 3″.. 1 1/4″… #2 shot Kent Fasteel would swell the shell into the barrel and the action would be stuck forward after the 1st shot. Then I would pull the slide down extremely hard or take the barrel off and stick something down the barrel to get the shell to break loose. This gun is the devil!

FF

This ^^ part…never had a problem like that. Might be something additional to the guide rods (sounds like it would have to be), or I could be all wet on that guess.

Participant

When you say “guide rods”…. Are you referring to the rods that are attached to the forearm when you take the forearm assembly off the gun?

This gun is spotless when it comes to clean BTW!!

Thanks,

FF

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.