Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting 50, 000 TAGS

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

As of 5 mins ago there were 49,984 unsold x-tra doe tags in the state. Thats pretty poor managment by the DNR That’s almost 40% of the number of deer harvested in the past couple years respectivly! If there was ever a time to question what’s going on its now…

If I had 40% of my inventory left over with basically one more good weekend of shoppers left I’d close my doors-

huntia
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I hunted 1st shotgun season for my statewide any-sex tag. Can I buy antlerless tags for 2nd season and late muzzleloader?

Hoytshooter
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CombatCarl

As of 5 mins ago there were 49,984 unsold x-tra doe tags in the state. Thats pretty poor managment by the DNR That’s almost 40% of the number of deer harvested in the past couple years respectivly! If there was ever a time to question what’s going on its now…

If I had 40% of my inventory left over with basically one more good weekend of shoppers left I’d close my doors-

Good luck trying to get this point across on here! If the deers on there land its there’s and its time for it too die and if its on public size doesn’t matter cause “”there just filling there freezers””. If tags are available people can’t help them selves but too fill um.

CombatCarl
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Proof is in the pudding Hoytshooter!

50,000 tags unsold speaks for itself. And refutes all the “if it’s brown it’s down” or the “its my tag, I’ll shoot whatever i want” pompus attitudes on here…

It’s good to know that while on the outside everybody is a grizzled BadArse but where the rubber meets the road- People are holding off on shooting deer or they are poaching the hell out of them.

Sure there are pockets of deer where you could blast all day… but 50,000 state wide?

tim ballard
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: huntia

I hunted 1st shotgun season for my statewide any-sex tag. Can I buy antlerless tags for 2nd season and late muzzleloader?

Yes you can get all the antlerless tags you want. As long as the count you are hunting has them available!!!

MonsterTruck
    Participant
    Up
    Down

People arent filling tags like they use to so they buy less tags.

jhorak
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: tim+ballard

Yes you can get all the antlerless tags you want. As long as the count you are hunting has them available!!!

That’s only partially true. If he hunted first shotgun, he cannot hunt second shotgun, even if it’s only with doe tags (unless he has landowner tags). However, he can hunt late ML with doe tags.

lwh723
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: tim+ballard

Wrong. You can buy them for late MZ, but you can’t buy them for 2nd shotgun if you hunted 1st.

bigjon
    Participant
    Up
    Down

50,000 anlterless tags left??? How many in urban management zones or counties which have an urban management zone??? How many from southern Iowa counties or Eastern Iowa counties???? They are not just for “anywhere”. The urban zone I hunt in has 4800 tags left… in the 3,000 acres of area I hunt I on average see 150-200 each night…..

Where are the 50,000 tags coming from and look at the counties they are in…. They are where they should be for this year, I’m sure antlerless tag numbers will drop in certain areas again next year… “Hunting…. not Slaying”

shorthair
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I would like to think, that as hunters we have a way of managing Iowa’s heard. There are areas of the state that are down with numbers. Unfortunately some of the county’s that need some more deer are the ones that have no more doe tags left. They are also some that sell out early, don’t know why. You would think if you wanted some more numbers in your county that you would buy, but not use or not buy. I can think of several Boone, Marshall, Tama ect. It’s actually a check and balance against the Insurance industry, Iowa Legislature and the DNR. Gives us the hunters some say in what goes on.

GITM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: shorthair

I would like to think, that as hunters we have a way of managing Iowa’s heard. There are areas of the state that are down with numbers. Unfortunately some of the county’s that need some more deer are the ones that have no more doe tags left. They are also some that sell out early, don’t know why. You would think if you wanted some more numbers in your county that you would buy, but not use or not buy. I can think of several Boone, Marshall, Tama ect. It’s actually a check and balance against the Insurance industry, Iowa Legislature and the DNR. Gives us the hunters some say in what goes on.

You are absolutely right. The DNR manages the deer herd we have now politically and not biologically. The state would be zoned if the DNR was allowed to manage the herd biologically, and the over the counter tags for some of those zones (NW and NC) would be antlered only with very limited antlerless tags for those zones. Other zones would be Any Deer over the counter tags and quota antlerless tags also. Insurance companies and politicians are what manage our herd, not biologists.

MisterTwoForty
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Agree with the above. I wish the DNR could manage our herd according to their philosophies.

PaulB
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I think if you are using doe tags you can hunt 1st, 2nd and late ML. At least I have, and no, I do not have land owner tags. If you can buy them, you can use them.

The only tag you can only hunt one season for is an any sex tag and unless you are a land owner you can only get two of those. 1 bow and 1 gun.

I could be wrong but I have done it.

Bung
    Participant
    Up
    Down

I went out pheasant hunting a couple times this year, got at least one bird every trip out.

Saw 2 pheasant hunters the entire time I was out. I usually see dozens of cars filled with guys in blaze orange. I just don’t think as many people are hunting this year in general.

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: GITM

You are absolutely right. The DNR manages the deer herd we have now politically and not biologically. The state would be zoned if the DNR was allowed to manage the herd biologically, and the over the counter tags for some of those zones (NW and NC) would be antlered only with very limited antlerless tags for those zones. Other zones would be Any Deer over the counter tags and quota antlerless tags also. Insurance companies and politicians are what manage our herd, not biologists.

Not sure why you think the NW counties should be antlered with “very limited antleress”. :question:

Hdnpowrz
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: PaulB

I think if you are using doe tags you can hunt 1st, 2nd and late ML. At least I have, and no, I do not have land owner tags. If you can buy them, you can use them.

The only tag you can only hunt one season for is an any sex tag and unless you are a land owner you can only get two of those. 1 bow and 1 gun.

I believe you are in violation for hunting both shotgun seasons… page 26 of the regs!!!

datree
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: kenhump

Not sure why you think the NW counties should be antlered with “very limited antleress”. :question:

In NW iowa there are no bonus doe tags haven’t been for a couple of years

kenhump
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: datree

Quote by: kenhump

In NW iowa there are no bonus doe tags haven’t been for a couple of years

My bad, I thought Woodbury an Plymouth counties were in NW IA. 😉

GITM
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Ken, splitting hairs. I consider Woodbury and Plymouth Western Counties. But what ever. I think you understasnd the idea. 😉

Bfish
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: Hdnpowrz

Quote by: PaulB

I believe you are in violation for hunting both shotgun seasons… page 26 of the regs!!!

There is no “could be wrong”…you are 100% wrong. A doe tag acts the same as a any sex tag except is “more limited” to the specific county in which they are purchased for. The season in which they are bought for is the only season they may be used for.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.