5.56 zero in2019-01-04T23:51:25-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms 5.56 zero in

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I just bought a new t/c compass in 5.56 on sale. What distance would you guys recommend zeroing it in at? Probably will be used more for target shooting, but I do plan on using it for coyotes whenever I get the chance.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

I zero mine at 100yrds for hunting coyotes.  Then practice with it from 5 yards to 100 yards to learn where you hit, never know when a yote might come in close for a look.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

Do you have any holdover marks in your scope?  I “zero” my 223 at 100 but then for coyote have the elevation set .5″ high at 100 yards so that the load I’m running hits the next hold over line at 250 yards and the next at 350 yards.  I don’t like shooting coyote much over 200-250 yards with the 223 to need the extra hold overs, but they’re there if I need them for a hung up bobcat, fox, maybe sniping some long range small varmint, etc.

for target shooting for groups I like to have the bullets hit above where I’m aiming, so I don’t clutter up my aiming point with holes.  A scope with turrets is nice for this, but any good repeatable scope works obviously.  For the 223, for trying a new load I might adjust the scope to put the holes an inch above the aiming point.  If I’m switching loads then I’ll zero and set the scope .5″ high (or where ever it needs to be to hit the 250 and 350 holdover marks) for coyote calling, if not changing loads I’ll just drop the scope back down to .5″ high for coyotes.

So short answer, I “zero” at 100, but i never shoot with the scope set there.  the zero is just a reference point, and I adjust up depending on what I’m doing.

Participant

My 223 varmint rifle is set for MPBR with 55gr varmint tip rated at 3,240 FPS. That means hitting 1.5″ low at the muzzle, 1.5″ high at 120 yards and 1.5″ low at 230 yards.

CCACCA
    Participant

Unless you have a scope with a reticle that provides subtensions at various pre-built ranges, 100yards is your best bet.  Should you eventually factor in things like further distances, leads, and wind, factors that are built on 100 as your zero make things much easier to figure on your DOPE sheet.  Same is true for your notes…  Use 10MPH winds and leads and you can ‘halve’ them or double them easily in your mind on the fly…

Hope this helps.

-Michael

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!