Home Forums Hunting Firearms 45/70 with pics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well went to CR gun show this morning.. after waiting in line for 15 mintues… got there about 10… did some looking around. Was looking for a 30/30 in a newer model 94 or a Marlin. couldnt find anything for a decent price in good shape yet. Alot of 44mag, 357, even a 454 casuall lever gun…. made it all the way around just about to give up, and about the 2nd to last table.. i found one… new in box Marlin 1895G 45/70. It was the 45/70 i would buy.. after thinking about it for 10 mintues… i brought it home. Guy gave me a box of ammo for $20.00 to start with.. Got home bore snaked the barrel a few times.. Took it out and shot… 1st shot at a target, i hit the 10×10 target so i didnt do to bad with open sights. at 100 yds. Took a few more and hit it every time. Recoil isnt as bad as i thought. the bullet is intimidating. Had the .223s out and was doing some 200-300 yd shooting… set a junk 5 gallon bucket ou int he field filled it with some water/snow. Shot, was low, by about a ft maybe.. shot… a lil to the right, shot again.. and hit it… at 280yds.. with the rangefinder.. so not to bad with remington 405gr ammo. All in all i am very satisfied with it, seems like alot more gun then a 30/30 “havnt shot on in a few years.. but still” And i love the short 18.5in barrel. What i wanted in a lever gun…. wanted a 94 trapper 30/30 but good luck i guess… I am happy with this big bore.. Now just waiting for htem to make a 460 S&W in a lever gun!!

Participant

Congrats. I haven’t fired a 70 in years, but I think Federal made a 300gr round that was much better in the ballistecs area. about half the drop. ken 😉

Participant

Any pictures of your new gun?

Participant

going to start to work up a load for it. Means hornady makes just the FTX “bullets used in leverevolution ammmo” available. Going to try some of them. They are a 300gr i belive. and just some FN just to mess around with.

If anyone has a good load for one let me know….

yes i have some pictures put them up later tonite.

Participant

Good luck finding reloading componets, it seems everyone is in a panic about the new pres and congress, as we should be.
    I bought two guns this week.
    First a Ruger 10/22 stainless. Wal-Mart said they didn,t know when they would get another one.
    The second is a Knight KP1 singleshot in 300 winchester magnum, it will be here later this week. I ordered it from Able Ammo in Houston. I paid Able so no sales tax, just freight($16) to a friend who has a FFL.

Participant

well here are a few pictures of the beast….

45/70 ammo.

Left to right- 45-70 rem express, .17hmr, .223, 45/70 leverevolution, 45/70 handload.look at those 3 red tipped bullets 🙂

The Beast.

Participant

You are right ! It is a beast. I just got one from Lindy’s in boone this Wed. I plan to us it on elk next year. All the elk that I’ve killed have been under 100 yds. so this will work fine in the kind of area we hunt. I’ll be using 520 gr. garret hammerhead loads. It’s hard to run when you have a wound the size of a golf ball through you.

Participant

I’d recommend trying some 300gr loads. Much better ballistics out in more open country.
    I’d think 520 would be like hunting with 20ga slugs. I use to shoot some 405gr I believe that were pretty good too.
    😕

Participant

Hi,

I reload for my 45/70 Guide Gun, as a plinker load I use 10 grs of titegroup and a 405 gr bullet. Getting ready to order some 300 gr bullets, looking for economy and possibly flatter groups.

Reed

Participant

right now im reloading 300gr hornady HP.. all scheels had in stock, and using 54 gr of varget…. they seem to shoot around only have shot 3 or 4 of the reloads so far…. way i look at it.. wether im plinking around or using it for hunting i want to be shooting about the same load all the time. Going to load up some of the FTX bullets this next week when they come.. same thing they use in the LEVERevolution ammo….

Participant

Wade, it’s been a long time and I was shooting factory, but I remember there was about 12 or 14″ difference at 200 yds 300 vs 405 in drop. If you are going to be hunting elk inside 150yards, maybe the heavier slug, but out past 150 I’d stay with the ballistics of the lighter faster slug. Please let us know how the bench loads work out. 😉

Participant

i will keep you posted… have to wait for some nicer weather now…. might take it out coyote hunting tomorrow. Im not quite planning on hunting Elk any time soon probly the S. Iowa deer season next year. If id o plan on going out for bear or Elk or larger game will step up to a larger slug… probly some of the Hornady Dangerous Game ammo….

Participant

If I were to guess, I’d say there has probably been more elk, moose and bear killed with 30.06 than any other round. That said if I were going after big browns, I’d definitely be in to something larger. What range will you be ‘zeroing’ at? 100 or 150yds?

Participant

i’m not much of a traditionalist, but i’ve had an NEF buffalo classic in 45-70 on my wish list for quite awhile.

Participant

probably be “zeroing” it at 100 or 125 yards… not going to put a scope on it… at least not yet. Will probly just go after some Blacks if i go after bears. Mainly just bought the 45/70 for something differnt, not something you see everday. Wanted a lil more knock down then just a 30-30 means the range is bascially the same. I have small caliber varmit/plinkin rifles… .223,the 17hmr and my 22lr all with heavy bull target barrels… Wanted a short, somehwat light weight with alot of knockdown….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.