Home Forums Hunting Deer Hunting .44 magnum CVA hunter rifle ammo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    Up
    Down

All- looking at getting CVA hunter rifle combo in .44 magnum for me and my 12 year old daughter. After looking on some other forums, it sounds like the 240 grain soft points or XTPs are great rounds for .44 magnum rifles. Does anybody have any firsthand experience to share?

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Thx H2O, and you were one of the guys I was hoping would respond based on your prior posts! 😉

scruffyscruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

my marlin completely dislikes the hornady lever revolution shells… 3″ – 4″ groups at 50 yards. But absolutely it loves the winchester soft points. At 50 yards the marlin punched a 10 shot group with 8 of the 10 shots touching (the 2 out of the group could have been me). So that’s what I’ll be feeding it.

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thanks Scruff and which Winny loads are you talking about? Super-X soft points or a different line? Were you using the 240 grain or a different size?

topH20terrortopH20terror
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Best advice I can give is to try at least 2 if not 3 different offering of ammo for it. Your gun will tell you what it is going to like the best.

Participant
    Up
    Down

I have no experience with a CVA. However, I have used the 240 grain XTP to take deer with two different muzzleloaders, two different 44 mag pistols and a 44 mag Marlin 1894. They have always grouped well and always performed well on all the deer they hit. With the Marlin (peep sight) I hit a large doe just to the right of chest center as she faced me straight on at 60 yds. The XTP went the full length of her body before taking out her hip socket.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant
    Up
    Down

Quote by: CRIA1576

Thanks Scruff and which Winny loads are you talking about? Super-X soft points or a different line? Were you using the 240 grain or a different size?

When I scoped the marlin (which had sat in storage for 20 years…) I bought a box of 50 winchester “Deer and Black Bear” 240 grain Jacketed Soft Points (item number Q4240) to start the sight in process since they were cheap. They grouped best out of the three loads I tested. I’ll probably test more loads next year but I have no doubt the soft points will do a number on a deer’s boiler room. 😈

Participant
    Up
    Down

Thx again guys, and I will provide updates after I get the gun landed and start sighting it in!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Hey guys, wanted to follow up on this thread. So I picked up the CVA on Saturday, and it came scoped with a Konus 3x9x32 scope. Not great, i know, but for .44 mag it should be fine. I was at Walmart last night and picked up a box of Federal 240gr JHP for $41 and some change. The Federals were a couple hundred fps faster than the Winny soft points, and were only a few bucks more, so I said what the heck.

I got the old school desk and trigger stick set up on my backyard range this afternoon and did some shooting at 50 yards. First two rounds out of box were about 10″ low and windage was good. Next two got on paper and walked it up near the 2″ center target. After one more adjustment, the next 6 rounds were inside the 2″ square with two pairs touching and one dead center on the bull.

Next, my daughters (10 and 12) each shot a 5 shot group. Both landed 4 out of 5 inside the 2″ square on their attempts, and each also had one flier outside the square a couple inches. This was the first time either have shot a big bore round, and recoil was absolutely manageable and they both really enjoyed the practice. They also both managed to get a pair of their 5 rounds to touch inside the square.

We had an absolute ball shooting the little rifle, and with some practice on our paper deer target, they should both be ready for second season shotgun very soon. I will upload the target pics to Imgur this week and post for ya’ll to see.

If you are looking to get a youth started, I can confirm that the .44 magnum is a great starter platform for boys and girls alike!

Participant
    Up
    Down

Sounds like a good rifle at a good price. Combine that with the memories…. PRICELESS 😀

Participant
    Up
    Down

Roger that Brad, and I finally got the target pic posted below! 😀

My 10 year old daughter started on the left target, I was center, and my 12 year old daughter was on the right.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.