Home Forums Fishing Ice Fishing 4 Wheeler on Ice

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Can you legal drive your 4 wheeler on public lakes in Iowa to ice fish?

Someone asked me to go this weekend and wanted to know if I would bring my wheeler. I would love to bring it, but did not know the legalities or if people care.

Participant

Believe it has to be registered.

ECFirearmsECFirearms
    Participant

Quote by: hopintoweighin

Someone asked me to go this weekend and wanted to know if I would bring my wheeler. I would love to bring it, but did not know the legalities or if people care.

Yes, must be registered and insurance is required I believe.

“Second Amendment – Either you are helping pull the wagon, getting a free ride in the wagon, or trying to take away the wagon. Which one are you?” -- IAShooters

Participant

Quote by: ECFirearms

This was my understanding as well.

Participant

If 4 hweeler is for one person you can not ride double. They were ticketing at clear lake during yelloaw bass bonanza year before last. Must be side by side like Polaris or utv (same). robbie

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

Defiantly has to be registered for the current year. DNR stickers are obtained thru the county recorder. Applies for property owned by the DNR and the ATV parks. The parks require a helmet and can only have a single occupant unless it was designed for more than one. I believe Can Am’s have a 2 seater and also the side bysides can have more. I’ve heard that about Clear Lake and the YB tournament but don’t see where they get that. Then it also makes me wonder about if a helmet would be required on a lake but people say no. At the parks rules are posted but I’ve never seen them at a lake.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

🙂

Get yourself a Polaris raanger and you can let your sweety go ice fishing with ya. But make sure your pulling out a small sleeper shack to keep her warm and comfy. If you hadd the tank tracks you could go anywhere on the lake in total safety unless you fall through the ice.

Participant

Polaris also has the Sportsman X2. Very handy and the wife uses it around the yard.
    It is my understanding that access to the lake must be from a ramp and you cant drive from ramp to ramp with the ATV must be loaded to move.
    That’s the way it is at McBride.

Participant

Quote by: northwoodsbucks

Quote by: ECFirearms

This was my understanding as well.

From the DNR:

OHV (Off-highway Vehicle) Registration and DNR User Permits
    Includes All-terrain Vehicles, Off-road Motorcycles, and Off-road Utility Vehicles

Recreational vehicle owners and operators on public ice, designated public riding trails and areas, and DNR-designated OHV parks1, including use in conjunction with a disabled hunting permit, must register their machines with the Department. Machines registered in Iowa need only display their current registration decal and the operator must carry the registration certificate on board. Machines registered in another state are required to also display a valid registration from their home state and an IDNR Nonresident User Permit. Registrations and IDNR Nonresident User Permits must be renewed annually and are nontransferable. Both can be acquired starting September 1 each year and are valid for the remainder of the year plus the entire following calendar year.

All Iowa registrations and DNR User Permits expire December 31 each calendar year. A $5.00 penalty is added to the renewal cost for an expired Iowa registration. There is no grace period.

Residents can obtain registrations and renewals from a County Recorder Office. For nonresidents, IDNR User Permits may be obtained at any license vendor (County Recorder Office or participating retailer) that sells hunting and fishing privileges.

Participant

Just like a Snowmobile riding in the ditches and trails in Iowa.

Machine needs to have:
    Updated registration sticker
    Updated DNR trail permit
    Insurance

Participant

I do not believe you need a trail pass for a ATV or Side by Side.

OldbearOldbear
    Participant

I believe trail pass or permit applies only to nonresidents.

Mayor of Hickory Grove

Participant

The trail pass is for the use of marked snowmobile trails. The funding goes to ISSA. There is currently a one sticker bill that will combine the trailpass with the snowmobile registration sticker. This will simplify things for riders who share a sled. Currently, each operator mush have his own trail pass (like fishing license).

Since four wheelers can’t legally ride the marked trails, it wouldn’t make sense for them to have a trail pass.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.