Home Forums Hunting Firearms .380

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote by: huntingirl

What about the Kahr P380? Anyone have any experience with them?

I have shot all but the S&W, the Kahr is by far the better finsihed product, but it also costs a lot more. My ranking on the other 3 would be

Bersa
    TCP
    LCP

If size matters then you’d probably drop the Bersa to the bottom as it is a bigger piece than the others.

Participant

Quote by: warpig602

Quote by: huntingirl

What about the Kahr P380? Anyone have any experience with them?

I have shot all but the S&W, the Kahr is by far the better finsihed product, but it also costs a lot more. My ranking on the other 3 would be

Bersa
    TCP
    LCP

If size matters then you’d probably drop the Bersa to the bottom as it is a bigger piece than the others.

Yeah Bersa is getting droped to the bottom because of size and the Kahr price tag (only thinking about a recent add I saw) was higher…I think I’m going to talk Hubby into taking me to the gun show this weekend so I can get hands on feels of them.

Participant

I am going out on a limb here, but I would urge you to consider the Ruger LCR in your hunt for a CCW piece. Especially the laser sighted one.

I have played with a few of these little guns, and when i simulate realistic “encounters”, the lcr is hard to beat. It is a bit less concealable than the .380 pistols, which may be a deal breaker for you, but its trigger pull, power, and ability to hit where you need it (especially the laser sighted one) is better than the autos. I go off the assumption that the gun wont be pulled until its damn near too late. With a revolver the chance of a jam goes down and the penetration of the round is better (important in the cold weather months and against large people).

YMMV, but i had a Kahr k9 for awhile, and feel better armed with a LCR.

Participant

My 2 cents worth
    A Lot of small pocket guns have flooded the market and many are junk.
    Everyone has their favorite so you will get a lot of suggestions.
    I suggest you find a gun you can shoot. It’s that simple.
    Don’t be sold on brand or caliber.
    Ive carried 25s to 40s and spent a lot of time searching for my right gun.
    Just shoot it so you know that it works. Fire several round and do a mag exchange. Do this over and over and notice everything from the trigger pull to the kick of the gun. You should be able to shoot the gun under all conditions without it jamming. If everything feels right than talk price.

Kahr is excellent and I carry a 40 mk elite. The 380 is an excellent model but like I said earlier shoot the gun first.
    This may mean buying used but whats wrong with that.
    Glock also makes a good carry gun.
    The bottom line here is you want a gun to carry that will function properly
    and your life or someone else’s depends on it.

Participant

Have you looked at the Sig p238? .380 I have one and I Love it! Its very accurate and esay to conceal. Just a thought. Little expensive though.

Dmac

Participant

X2 on the Sig P 238. Bought for myself but wife and daughter have other thoughts.

Participant

Quote by: drmac22

Have you looked at the Sig p238? .380 I have one and I Love it! Its very accurate and esay to conceal. Just a thought. Little expensive though.

Dmac

x2. This is my normal carry gun when i want complete concealment. It fits in my waistband and all you see is the belt clip.

Participant

I have shot the LCP and Bodyguard. I bought the bodyguard for a back up weapon.

Bodyguard over LCP reasons:

Bodyguard feels like a bigger gun in your hand
    Bodyguard didn’t jump nearly as much as the LCP when I shot it
    Bodyguard comes with laser which actually is very nice and accurate out of the box…both light and low light conditions
    Dovetail sights on Bodyguard
    Sights on bodyguard are higher profile than LCP…..easier to see.

Mine carries nicely on my ankle, in my belt or in my pocket (jeans, coat, cargo short, etc).

Participant

I have a Bodyguard also and would definately recommend it for all the reasons above. I also just like the way it looks! Nice and sleek!

Participant

Im set to try out the Taurus 738TCP and a Walther PK380 Saturday.

Participant

Quote by: Maverick

I had a LCP and hated it. Trigger pull was horrible and recoil was suprisingly snappy for a .380. Never had any technical issues, just didn’t like it. I traded it off after having it for a few monthes and it is one of the only guns that I have ever gotten rid of and not wished I had it back. I went with a revolver for everday carry for the power and reliability that comes with them.

No real experience with the others on your list. Good luck in your choice.

I’m with Mav. Had the LCP, bought it for the same reason as most: ease of carry. I’d rather find a place for a bulkier gun than use that. Trigger pull was horrible: heavy and long. No real solid feel for where it goes “bang” so I could never feel comfortable. Plus it was way too small in my hands. Mine had the Crimson Trace lazer which was fun for messing with the dogs (no, it wasn’t loaded…). :mrgreen: I sold it last year and stick to my Ruger P95 (carry) or Blackhawk (truck).

Participant

Quote by: docmudge

I had a LCP and hated it. Trigger pull was horrible and recoil was suprisingly snappy for a .380. Never had any technical issues, just didn’t like it. I traded it off after having it for a few monthes and it is one of the only guns that I have ever gotten rid of and not wished I had it back. I went with a revolver for everday carry for the power and reliability that comes with them.

I’m with Mav. Had the LCP, bought it for the same reason as most: ease of carry. I’d rather find a place for a bulkier gun than use that. Trigger pull was horrible: heavy and long. No real solid feel for where it goes “bang” so I could never feel comfortable. Plus it was way too small in my hands. Mine had the Crimson Trace lazer which was fun for messing with the dogs (no, it wasn’t loaded…). :mrgreen: I sold it last year and stick to my Ruger P95 (carry) or Blackhawk (truck).

A long and heavy trigger pull isn’t a bad thing on a pocket gun……makes it safer when it is carried unholstered in a purse or pocket.

Participant

Quote by: m+sauer

A long and heavy trigger pull isn’t a bad thing on a pocket gun……makes it safer when it is carried unholstered in a purse or pocket.

There’s a huge difference between long and heavy and four miles of bad road. The TCP is the first, the LCP is the latter.

Secondly, it has been proven many times over (several in recent months) that carrying without a decent holster is just asking for trouble. Just ask the guy from Estherville or the 20some year police seargent from WI.

Participant

I’ve been of and on carrying a TCP 738 for a while now. before buying, kicked alot of tires.

Sig 238–neat little gun, just wasn’t completely comfortable carrying the single action, not sure I’d suggest that to other folks just getting into guns or CC
    LCP–Seemed fine, just didn’t like the trigger pull, and I felt it had even less of a set of sights than others in this class
    Bodyguard 380–didn’t like the on/off for the laser, but beyond that, decent gun
    Kahr P380–Nice, just couldn’t bite off that $$
    Settled on the TCP with a Crimson T. Laser. I think that adds alot to the gun, but poses some challenges, I’m finding holster selections are a bit narrower with the laser bolted to the bottom of it. Oh well, for the price, get 2 mags, and that cell phone type case. Was a little self conscious to begin with carrying that in public, but no one notices…or if they do, don’t call me out.

Not sure if it was just a typo, but I think you originally asked about a Taurus 708. That’s a different gun. From what I recall, that’s a release from last SHOT show using the 709 SLIM frame, but chambering it in .380 to make it a bit more managable. Going to be a larger frame gun, and more shootable than the 738 TCP, maybe more on that Bersa/Beretta frame size, though I haven’t compared them.

I will say the TCP is not an exceptionally pleasant gun to shoot. I’ve had a flinch in the past due to some bad experiences, so tend to walk slow on such things. I orginally wanted a Kahr PM9, but was coached out of that. with the TCP, 3 or 4 mags is about all I’ll shoot in a sitting. It’s one that you need to have a good hold onto, but haven’t passed it to anyone yet that dropped it. I had heard horror stories of them being picky for ammo, but the only issue I’ve had is with some reloads that were a bit long that wouldn’t feed. Everything else that fits in the mag feeds and goes bang…not sure I’ve had any failures to date with it. It’s not a 1 hole shooter, but at 10 yards, it keeps them in a pop can sized area, I think the laser helps alot, at least in getting it pulled back down for the follow up shots. I also got ahold of some of the glow in the dark jig head paint from Gander Mtn, and painted the front sight ramp…helps, but fades quick when it doesn’t see the light of day very often. At least it’s orange now…

Participant

Quote by: LoneWolf130

Quote by: m+sauer

There’s a huge difference between long and heavy and four miles of bad road. The TCP is the first, the LCP is the latter.

Secondly, it has been proven many times over (several in recent months) that carrying without a decent holster is just asking for trouble. Just ask the guy from Estherville or the 20some year police seargent from WI.

Or the guy from PA that shot himself in the leg while in the car and died right in front of his kids.

Point is always have a holster. Even when pocket carrying.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.