350 Legend2019-03-07T18:21:45-05:00

Home Forums Hunting Firearms 350 Legend

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is anyone else looking forward to this cartridge?

A .223 Rem blown out to a straight wall .357.  About 1/3 the recoil of 450 Bushmaster with a similar trajectory.  Usable in an AR-15 upper (found barrel pre-orders for $165), unclear about magazine compatibility.  Winchester is chambering a bolt action rifle.

They claim you can ethically take deer at 250yd with 150gr projectile.

Participant

Can I get a free itunes gift card ?  Just kidding.

Not familiar with this cartridge, can you fill me in?  How soon will it be out?

Thanks,

Participant

There were teasers in magazines but it was detailed at the 2019 SHOT show.

It is a new cartridge to blend the modern sporting rifle with the stright wall cartridge deer seasons.  The 450 Bushmaster recoils hard like a shotgun.   This 350 Legend will recoil more like a hot loaded 22-250, less than a 30-30 or .243 win (both bottlenecks anyway).  357 Maximum is hard to find in a repeater.  It is available in the T/C Contender barrel.  I think this 350 Legend will be a good replacement for the niche hunting market.  357 magnum in a carbine peters out too soon.  44 magnum was the next step but soon you will be able to get an affordable bolt action or build an upper to swap on.  Factory hunting ammo is supposed to hit shelves this spring.  I’m still searching for a release date.

Participant

Looks like the Winchester bolt action XPR is about $450.  It is starting to show up in stores.

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

news to me also, but very cool looking cartridge!

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by scruffy scruffy.
    WhipWhip
    Participant

Looks similar to the old 30 carbine.

Whip

CCACCA
    Participant

Looks similar to the old 30 carbine.

you’re not far off whip.  i’ll bet it has some great possibilities for a whitetail round.  kind of a newer generation 30-30 in reality.  chamber and ar15 in 350legend and toss a can on there and you’re in business…

"I thought I trusted the rope until it mattered to me whether it would bear me. Now it matters, and I find I didn't..." - C.S. "Jack" Lewis - A Grief Observed

Participant

Here are the Winchester numbers for the ammunition.  Still out of stock everywhere.  Broke up the link for website sensors.

https://woodburyoutfitters

.com/the-trailblazer/breaking-news-winchester-introduces-worlds-fastest-straightwalled-cartridge/

scruffyscruffy
    Participant

https://woodburyoutfitters.com/the-trailblazer/breaking-news-winchester-introduces-worlds-fastest-straightwalled-cartridge/

I put the old [ url ] and [ /url ] (without space) around the link to make it clickable.  old forum format.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by scruffy scruffy.
    Participant

Thanks Scruffy, I’ll try that.

Here is a good article: https://www.range365.com/winchester-350-legend-birth-legend

iirc, Iowa rewrote their law to meet dimensional requirements with a few listed outliers.  Others states specifically state it must be a hand gun cartridge.  T/C needs to bring a Contender barrel to market or someone needs to start making an AR pistol upper.  16.1, 20, 22″ are the only barrel lengths I’ve been able to find.

Participant

I’ve recently heard about this 350 Legend , and I’m not tryin to steel the thread . Last fall I built a straight wall on a 700  action called 45 Raptor , same principal as the legend. It is a 308 cartridge cut off at bottle neck allowing 45 Cal bullet use . It also can be built on a AR platform . I chose the 700 Remington action so I could have the extra barrel length . With a 21″ barrel length  I’m pushing a 200 gr Hornady  FTX 2952′ FPS  leaving the muzzle . One load was 2982′ FPS. I made good kills at 300 yards on  the last day of 2nd season when our group was having trouble hanging deer  . It was awesome to shoot and held 1.25 – 1.5 inch groups at 200 yards .  At 300 yds.’ I was putting the cross hairs level on the back with impact in boiler room .

Participant

Dano, expand away.

That sounds like enough energy.  What is the recoil like from that 45 Raptor?  Similar to the 450 Bushmaster?

Safety clarification:

The 350 Legend is only a straight wall .223 rem in concept.  The actual 223 case is too thin to be used so don’t try making your own brass from .223 rem.

Participant

Recoil was moderate , I believe the recoil from my 870 and Hornady SST 12 ga. was considerably heavier. I did use the Magpull adjustable stock  which has a nice pad . It also has the clip for the 308 , so in all the 700 Rem short action bolt face is for 308 the clip was 308, holding 6 rounds and had absolutely zero feed issues. As far as load data …. 460 S&W Mag . was what I used out of the Hornady manual.

Participant

I am a bit skeptical. As a cartridge it makes sense with .223 bolt face and OAL short enough to meet Iowa requirements.  But 250 yards with a 150 grainer?  I shoot a Contender in .357 Maximum and wouldn’t use a bullet that light myself.  But bullet tech might be there to support it, we’ll see. Still not a lot of velocity at 250yards…

I sold a sweet shooting Savage 20ga to get a Ruger 77 in .450 Bushmaster that was a limited run out of Michigan.  Shoots like a dream and recoil is less than that 20 was. With a 2-7 Leupold it drops 3 in a  ragged hole at 100. .45 Raptor is a smarter cartridge than the Bushmaster though.

Man, its sure nice hunting with proper cartridge rifles and knowing where your bullet goes. Hope the gun makers start giving us more and better options…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!